Announcing the Mobile Sakai Project

Johnson,Douglas F Johnson,Douglas F

Announcing the Mobile Sakai Project

In the recent past, Internet-capable handheld devices have become widely available.  Institutions in many parts of the world are beginning to enable mobile device access to campus services.  The Sakai community as a whole is already aware of the importance of mobile devices and mobile education. However, at present, mobile development efforts have been scattered across individual institutions with little coordination and collaboration.

In response to this, the Universities of Cambridge, Florida, Indiana, and Oxford, with the support of the Sakai Foundation, are now a launching a “Mobile Sakai” collaborative project to expand upon current, limited mobile functionality and to develop frameworks usable by local institutions to integrate Sakai into their own mobile initiatives. It is the intent of this announcement to invite additional participants and institutions to join with us in this project.

The proposal outlining the Mobile Sakai project can be found at https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MOBILE/Home and additional information and opportunities for questions, comments, discussion, and networking will be available at next month’s North American Sakai Conference in Los Angeles. As additional information about conference sessions and meetings related to this project becomes available, it will be posted at the project site listed above.

Peace,

Douglas F. Johnson, Ph.D.
Assistant Director for Learning Services
Office of Academic Technology
University of Florida
PH 352.392.4357 #3   FAX 352.392.3760
     https://lss.at.ufl.edu

Re: Announcing the Mobile Sakai Project

<base href="x-msg://4424/">
Hi,

You might be interested to know that we currently have two Google Summer of Code projects going to create a mobile application for both Sakai CLE and SAkai OAE. I am coordinating the CLE app, and the planning page is here:

We are currently in the early documentation phase. The goal of the mobile app is that it will provide a decent level of functionality, but then institutions will be able to take it and customise it to their own needs (branding, different auth mechanisms etc)

Also, I'm interested to know more about what is listed on the confluence page. We already have EntityBroker [1] which provides RESTful access to a whole range of data [2]. Would hate to see a duplication of effort.

thanks,
Steve

On 17/05/2011, at 10:09 PM, Johnson,Douglas F wrote:

[...]

Mara Hancock Mara Hancock

Re: Announcing the Mobile Sakai Project

Hi Steve -- Here is another framework for you to consider:  http://mwf.ucla.edu. It was developed at UCLA and is getting implemented across the University of California. They would be very interested in working with you. The person to contact is Rose Rocchio: [hidden email] (cc'd here).

Best, Mara

On May 17, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

[...]

==================================
Mara Hancock
Director of Educational Technologies
University of California, Berkeley

Desk: 510-643-9923
Mobile: 510-407-0543

Adam Marshall Adam Marshall

Re: Announcing the Mobile Sakai Project

<base href="x-msg://4424/">

I realise I am supposed to know this but what is the relationship between these 2 projects and the one recently announced by Ian D?

adam

Ian Dolphin-2 Ian Dolphin-2

Re: Announcing the Mobile Sakai Project

There will be a common session at the LA conference where potential relationships between mobile initiatives can be explored in a lot more depth. I anticipate there is a lot more work across the community on/around mobile which will be surfaced there also - and I hope the U Florida/Indiana/Oxford/Cambridge initiative can build relationships with that work also.

Ian

--
Ian Dolphin
Executive Director, Sakai Foundation

[hidden email]
+44 7737 862863
Twitter: d iandolphin24

On 18 May 2011, at 15:56, Adam Marshall wrote:

> I realise I am supposed to know this but what is the relationship between these 2 projects and the one recently announced by Ian D?
>
> adam

Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: Announcing the Mobile Sakai Project

That looks somewhat interesting from a high level look though it seems
to be PHP based for at least a few parts of it which would be
difficult to work with in Sakai since it is Java based. The CSS and JS
files certainly could be helpful though I think we are going with
building an actual mobile app and not just trying to make Sakai mobile
web compatible.

I think I personally would probably learn more towards using html5
boilerplate if I were going to try to make a project mobile web
compatible though (at least as far as an initial pass is concerned):
http://html5boilerplate.com/

Combined with jquery touch I think html5boilerplate is a very solid
start for mobile web support.

-AZ

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Mara Hancock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> functionality and to develop frameworks usable by local institutions to
> integrate Sakai into their own mobile initiatives. It is the intent of this
> announcement to invite additional participants and institutions to join with
> us in this project.
>
> The proposal outlining the Mobile Sakai project can be found
> at https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MOBILE/Home and additional
> information and opportunities for questions, comments, discussion, and
> networking will be available at next month’s North American Sakai Conference
> in Los Angeles. As additional information about conference sessions and
> meetings related to this project becomes available, it will be posted at the
> project site listed above.
>
> Peace,
>
> Douglas F. Johnson, Ph.D.
> Assistant Director for Learning Services

John Norman John Norman

Re: Announcing the Mobile Sakai Project

I think it is important to distinguish between two types of mobile effort, even though they may share code and people:
- The project that is about providing data extracts that fit into a campus-wide initiative to get data to phones
- The project that is about providing a full Sakai learning experience on a larger device like a tablet

So although it is all mobile, there could legitimately be more than one project. At Cambridge our greatest current interest is in the second scenario although we have some interest in the first.

John

John Norman
Director - CARET
University of Cambridge