[Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

Bryan Holladay Bryan Holladay

[Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

I'm trying to build up my reputation in our stack overflow tag so I posted a question from the list that I answered already:

However, thanks to Stack Overflow's nice ant-spamming algorithms, I can't post my answer until 8 hours after asking.  I'm trying to get my points up, so don't steal it!  If you do, you owe me a beer.

-Bryan

Christian Aziz Christian Aziz

Re: [Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

Pretty small price tag for some karma ;)

About the algorithm, that's interesting to note. The stackoverflow docs point out that you may also accept your own answer but would have to wait 48 hours.

Christian V. Aziz
Project Manager - OIRT
Coadjutant Faculty - SC&I

101I Administrative Services Building Annex 1
56 Bevier Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854
Tel: 848-445-8732 | Fax: 732-445-5539

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Bryan Holladay <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to build up my reputation in our stack overflow tag so I posted a question from the list that I answered already:

However, thanks to Stack Overflow's nice ant-spamming algorithms, I can't post my answer until 8 hours after asking.  I'm trying to get my points up, so don't steal it!  If you do, you owe me a beer.

-Bryan

Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: [Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

FYI
I think it is probably better to have Neal post questions from the dev
list if you want to answer them for the following reasons:

- http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/250204/can-you-answer-your-own-questions-on-stack-overflow
- http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/17845/etiquette-for-answering-your-own-question
- You can only do this if you have 15 rep.
- You have to wait 48 hours to accept the answer
- Finally, you get almost no reputation for answering your own question.

Last point, I find this a little distasteful as a practice (i.e.
asking people to not answer a question you posted so you can get
credit). Just IMHO though.

Much better to allow the community coordinator to post OR even better
to ask the poster of the question to post it on SO. However, I think
that Steve Swinsburg is working on where that stuff should end up so
we should maybe wait a week or so and see what they come up with.
:-)
-AZ

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Bryan Holladay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to build up my reputation in our stack overflow tag so I posted a
> question from the list that I answered already:
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24244181/how-do-you-translate-sakai-tool-names-and-descriptions
>
> However, thanks to Stack Overflow's nice ant-spamming algorithms, I can't
> post my answer until 8 hours after asking.  I'm trying to get my points up,
> so don't steal it!  If you do, you owe me a beer.
>
> -Bryan

Bryan Holladay Bryan Holladay

Re: [Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

First, for those who didn't catch the playful tone (not Chris and not Aaron who I'm having our own friendly private chat outside of this email thread) in my original email, I'm only trying to build up our SO presence and trying to figure out how that can be done.  Obviously, I am assuming the more contributors to the question answers the community has, the better.  In order to build that up, I took a question I was going to answer on the dev list and put that on SO instead.  However, this is my first time (I had to sign up and everything) so I didn't realize there was an 8 hour waiting period to answering the question (my original goal).  Seems like the best way may be to have Neil post the questions.  Should he do it automatically or should I have reached out to him?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI
I think it is probably better to have Neal post questions from the dev
list if you want to answer them for the following reasons:

- http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/250204/can-you-answer-your-own-questions-on-stack-overflow
- http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/17845/etiquette-for-answering-your-own-question
- You can only do this if you have 15 rep.
- You have to wait 48 hours to accept the answer
- Finally, you get almost no reputation for answering your own question.

Last point, I find this a little distasteful as a practice (i.e.
asking people to not answer a question you posted so you can get
credit). Just IMHO though.

Much better to allow the community coordinator to post OR even better
to ask the poster of the question to post it on SO. However, I think
that Steve Swinsburg is working on where that stuff should end up so
we should maybe wait a week or so and see what they come up with.
:-)
-AZ

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Bryan Holladay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to build up my reputation in our stack overflow tag so I posted a
> question from the list that I answered already:
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24244181/how-do-you-translate-sakai-tool-names-and-descriptions
>
> However, thanks to Stack Overflow's nice ant-spamming algorithms, I can't
> post my answer until 8 hours after asking.  I'm trying to get my points up,
> so don't steal it!  If you do, you owe me a beer.
>
> -Bryan

Matthew Jones-2 Matthew Jones-2

Re: [Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

Yeah, that sounds ideal. You get the most rep by providing answers that other people vote up and accept as good answers than for providing questions.

Though by Neal (ideally) transferring over questions that gives you (us) things to answer.

It will be useful for the community as you need people with 200-1000 rep on other sites to get you over the eventual Area 51 phase. So that's mostly what this is for. (Besides providing more easily find-able questions/answers than the dev list)

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Bryan Holladay <[hidden email]> wrote:
First, for those who didn't catch the playful tone (not Chris and not Aaron who I'm having our own friendly private chat outside of this email thread) in my original email, I'm only trying to build up our SO presence and trying to figure out how that can be done.  Obviously, I am assuming the more contributors to the question answers the community has, the better.  In order to build that up, I took a question I was going to answer on the dev list and put that on SO instead.  However, this is my first time (I had to sign up and everything) so I didn't realize there was an 8 hour waiting period to answering the question (my original goal).  Seems like the best way may be to have Neil post the questions.  Should he do it automatically or should I have reached out to him?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI
I think it is probably better to have Neal post questions from the dev
list if you want to answer them for the following reasons:

- http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/250204/can-you-answer-your-own-questions-on-stack-overflow
- http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/17845/etiquette-for-answering-your-own-question
- You can only do this if you have 15 rep.
- You have to wait 48 hours to accept the answer
- Finally, you get almost no reputation for answering your own question.

Last point, I find this a little distasteful as a practice (i.e.
asking people to not answer a question you posted so you can get
credit). Just IMHO though.

Much better to allow the community coordinator to post OR even better
to ask the poster of the question to post it on SO. However, I think
that Steve Swinsburg is working on where that stuff should end up so
we should maybe wait a week or so and see what they come up with.
:-)
-AZ

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Bryan Holladay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to build up my reputation in our stack overflow tag so I posted a
> question from the list that I answered already:
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24244181/how-do-you-translate-sakai-tool-names-and-descriptions
>
> However, thanks to Stack Overflow's nice ant-spamming algorithms, I can't
> post my answer until 8 hours after asking.  I'm trying to get my points up,
> so don't steal it!  If you do, you owe me a beer.
>
> -Bryan

Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: [Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

My vote is we reach out to him.
That said, I think Steve S and the PMC are still trying to decide
where that should happen (SO, Sakai area51, or Apereo area 51).
:-)
-AZ

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Bryan Holladay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First, for those who didn't catch the playful tone (not Chris and not Aaron
> who I'm having our own friendly private chat outside of this email thread)
> in my original email, I'm only trying to build up our SO presence and trying
> to figure out how that can be done.  Obviously, I am assuming the more
> contributors to the question answers the community has, the better.  In
> order to build that up, I took a question I was going to answer on the dev
> list and put that on SO instead.  However, this is my first time (I had to
> sign up and everything) so I didn't realize there was an 8 hour waiting
> period to answering the question (my original goal).  Seems like the best
> way may be to have Neil post the questions.  Should he do it automatically
> or should I have reached out to him?
>

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> FYI
>> I think it is probably better to have Neal post questions from the dev
>> list if you want to answer them for the following reasons:
>>
>> -
>> http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/250204/can-you-answer-your-own-questions-on-stack-overflow
>> -
>> http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/17845/etiquette-for-answering-your-own-question
>> - You can only do this if you have 15 rep.
>> - You have to wait 48 hours to accept the answer
>> - Finally, you get almost no reputation for answering your own question.
>>
>> Last point, I find this a little distasteful as a practice (i.e.
>> asking people to not answer a question you posted so you can get
>> credit). Just IMHO though.
>>
>> Much better to allow the community coordinator to post OR even better
>> to ask the poster of the question to post it on SO. However, I think
>> that Steve Swinsburg is working on where that stuff should end up so
>> we should maybe wait a week or so and see what they come up with.
>> :-)
>> -AZ
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Bryan Holladay <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm trying to build up my reputation in our stack overflow tag so I
>> > posted a
>> > question from the list that I answered already:
>> >

>> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24244181/how-do-you-translate-sakai-tool-names-and-descriptions
>> >
>> > However, thanks to Stack Overflow's nice ant-spamming algorithms, I
>> > can't
>> > post my answer until 8 hours after asking.  I'm trying to get my points
>> > up,
>> > so don't steal it!  If you do, you owe me a beer.
>> >
>> > -Bryan

>> --
>> Aaron Zeckoski - Software Architect - http://tinyurl.com/azprofile

Re: [Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

I agree with AZ that the PMC is having some good discussion on the sakai-pmc list and seem to be heading towards a plan in the next week or so [1] . Thanks to Steve Swinsburg for leading the discussion and to folks who participated in the Sakai Tech Documentation BOF at Open Apereo for bringing up the issue.

I am open to some off-line chatter about the best way to move questions over, and I'm happy to help. Sometimes it may not be immediately obvious to me what the question is, if it is a good question, etc. so it would be nice to have some support on that (usually I do get that kind of offline support/feedback on a regular basis thanks to several folks on the Sakai core team, so this seems feasible to me). Also, I presume it would be okay if I enlist the support of the community, which I think is generally a more sustainable model, but by having a point person (lets say me, hypothetically ;-) ) then there is accountability to have it happen.

My assumption would be that having a larger number of people asking questions is a better thing, if that can happen?

Before jumping in full steam, it would be good to have a plan and/goals, etc. But I'm excited about how this is starting up, both with area51 and using the "sakai" tag on StackOverflow. I think it is a good thing.

2 cents.

[1] http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-pmc/2014-June/000692.html

June 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM
My vote is we reach out to him.
That said, I think Steve S and the PMC are still trying to decide
where that should happen (SO, Sakai area51, or Apereo area 51).
:-)
-AZ

June 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM
First, for those who didn't catch the playful tone (not Chris and not Aaron who I'm having our own friendly private chat outside of this email thread) in my original email, I'm only trying to build up our SO presence and trying to figure out how that can be done.  Obviously, I am assuming the more contributors to the question answers the community has, the better.  In order to build that up, I took a question I was going to answer on the dev list and put that on SO instead.  However, this is my first time (I had to sign up and everything) so I didn't realize there was an 8 hour waiting period to answering the question (my original goal).  Seems like the best way may be to have Neil post the questions.  Should he do it automatically or should I have reached out to him?

June 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM
[...]

June 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM
I'm trying to build up my reputation in our stack overflow tag so I posted a question from the list that I answered already:

However, thanks to Stack Overflow's nice ant-spamming algorithms, I can't post my answer until 8 hours after asking.  I'm trying to get my points up, so don't steal it!  If you do, you owe me a beer.

-Bryan

Sakai Community Coordinator
Apereo Foundation

markjnorton markjnorton

Re: [Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

One beer is owed, but I'm sure you can do a better explanation than the very general one I gave.  :)

- Mark

Bryan Holladay Bryan Holladay

Re: [Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

ha, I'll take it!

Here was my response on the list:

Tool translations should be made in the config project: https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/config/trunk

For example, the English translations are:

To add your own translation, create (or edit) your localization file and add a title and description by using this template:

{toolid}.title=Tool Title
{toolid}.description=Tool Description

Example:

sakai.announcements.description                     = For posting current, time-critical information
sakai.announcements.title                           = Announcements

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
One beer is owed, but I'm sure you can do a better explanation than the very general one I gave.  :)

- Mark

Pretty small price tag for some karma ;)

About the algorithm, that's interesting to note. The stackoverflow docs point out that you may also accept your own answer but would have to wait 48 hours.

Christian V. Aziz
Project Manager - OIRT
Coadjutant Faculty - SC&I

101I Administrative Services Building Annex 1
56 Bevier Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854
Tel: <a href="tel:848-445-8732" value="+18484458732" target="_blank">848-445-8732 | Fax: <a href="tel:732-445-5539" value="+17324455539" target="_blank">732-445-5539

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Bryan Holladay <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to build up my reputation in our stack overflow tag so I posted a question from the list that I answered already:

However, thanks to Stack Overflow's nice ant-spamming algorithms, I can't post my answer until 8 hours after asking.  I'm trying to get my points up, so don't steal it!  If you do, you owe me a beer.

-Bryan

Re: [Building Sakai] Don't steal my karma!

Hi all

As I wrote in the email the other day, I am not sure if it's possible to move these questions from the normal stack overflow into any sakai or apereo space that comes out of area51. I am waiting to hear back from the other big apereo products as to if they want to join in.

I think we risk fragmenting our questions and answers if we jump the gun and post them on stack overflow with the sakai tag. By all means post on the area51 page please!  There is also an apereo one, post same question there.  We will delete one or the other.

Within a few weeks we will know what we are doing in this space and can consolidate efforts.

FYI to get rep go around and find edits to questions you can make, not necessarily sakai. And make sure you have a full profile. You can get a few hundred rep pretty quickly.

Cheers
Steve

sent from my mobile device