[Building Sakai] Req :- Need Terracotta server 3.7.6

Muthusamy, Kumar Muthusamy, Kumar

[Building Sakai] Req :- Need Terracotta server 3.7.6

Hi All,
         I have applied patches of session replication (distribute cache with terracota) on my sakai code base .

 On starting up the tomcat server, i am getting below specified error, also i tried to download the terracotta server 3.7.6 version and i could not find it and that is why i am using 3.7.7 version. So could any one please help to get the "Terracotta server 3.7.6" or any suggestion to over come this issue will be great.

 "ERROR - Client/Server Version Mismatch Error: Client Version: 3.7.6, Server Version: 3.7.7.  Terminating client now."

Thanks
Kumar

Robert Long Robert Long

Re: [Building Sakai] Req :- Need Terracotta server 3.7.6

Kumar,

—Bob

----
Robert Long
Software Engineer
Technical Account Manager - Sakai
Unicon, Inc.

----
M.A., Instructional Technology
Saginaw Valley State University

On Jun 19, 2014, at 7:01 PM, Muthusamy, Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,
         I have applied patches of session replication (distribute cache with terracota) on my sakai code base .

 On starting up the tomcat server, i am getting below specified error, also i tried to download the terracotta server 3.7.6 version and i could not find it and that is why i am using 3.7.7 version. So could any one please help to get the "Terracotta server 3.7.6" or any suggestion to over come this issue will be great.

 "ERROR - Client/Server Version Mismatch Error: Client Version: 3.7.6, Server Version: 3.7.7.  Terminating client now."

Thanks
Kumar

Muthusamy, Kumar Muthusamy, Kumar

Re: [Building Sakai] Req :- Need Terracotta server 3.7.6

Adding to the below email,

 (related to  "ERROR - Client/Server Version Mismatch Error: Client Version: 3.7.6, Server Version: 3.7.7.  Terminating client now." )

1) I could not find any configuration file to modify the for client and server configuration between Terracotta server and client.

Thanks
Kumar

Robert Long Robert Long

Re: [Building Sakai] Req :- Need Terracotta server 3.7.6

Kumar,

Here’s a simple step-by-step to get Terracotta up and running:

• Download Terracotta 3.7.6 (works with older version of ehcache, currently 2.6.6, in Sakai): http://d2zwv9pap9ylyd.cloudfront.net/terracotta-3.7.6.tar.gz
• Get a license for the free version: http://terracotta.org/downloads/bigmemorymax/free
• Untar the Terracotta files ({TERRACOTTA_DIR})
• In the {TERRACOTTA_DIR} directory,
• copy the license key file from #2 here
• create a tc-config.xml file based on {TERRACOTTA_DIR}/config-samples/tc-config-express-reference.xml
• To start terracotta: {TERRACOTTA_DIR}/bin/start-tc-server.sh -n <NAME_OF_SERVER>
• (OPTIONAL) To start the dev console monitor: {TERRACOTTA_DIR}/bin/dev-console.sh

—Bob

 ----

On Jun 20, 2014, at 11:12 AM, Muthusamy, Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Alaa NIZAR Alaa NIZAR

Re: [Building Sakai] Req :- Need Terracotta server 3.7.6

Hello,

What's the difference between using Terracotta instead of using Apache with mod_jk?

I think they are used for the same purpose, load balancing and scalability.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

[...]

believed to be clean.
believed to be clean.
Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: [Building Sakai] Req :- Need Terracotta server 3.7.6

Alaa,
mod_jk (within Apache) is a mechanism for allowing apache webserver to
serve up content via tomcat (a java servlet container). You probably
mean mod_proxy_balancer which is a load balancer (or load sharing
proxy) that allows traffic to a single host to be shared (or balanced
between) multiple servers.

Terracotta is a distributed cache (as we are using it in Sakai) and
also a shared memory pool (called DSO) which allows for multiple JVMs
to shared a set of objects. Mostly the value here is the ability to
share cache data or JVM objects across all the servers in a cluster.

They are not the same thing and don't really have much in common
(aside from both having something to do with server clusters).

-AZ

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Alaa NIZAR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What's the difference between using Terracotta instead of using Apache with
> mod_jk?
>
> I think they are used for the same purpose, load balancing and scalability.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Sent from Samsung Mobile

Alaa NIZAR Alaa NIZAR

Re: [Building Sakai] Req :- Need Terracotta server 3.7.6

Thank you for these clarifications.

I never used terracotta with sakai. We only load balance tomcats and provide apache in front of them.

I will try to install terracotta and play around with it.

Is there any documentation to follow in confluence or other web site?

Yours,
Alaa Nizar

Sent from Samsung Mobile

mod_jk (within Apache) is a mechanism for allowing apache webserver to
serve up content via tomcat (a java servlet container). You probably
mean mod_proxy_balancer which is a load balancer (or load sharing
proxy) that allows traffic to a single host to be shared (or balanced
between) multiple servers.

Terracotta is a distributed cache (as we are using it in Sakai) and
also a shared memory pool (called DSO) which allows for multiple JVMs
to shared a set of objects. Mostly the value here is the ability to
share cache data or JVM objects across all the servers in a cluster.

They are not the same thing and don't really have much in common
(aside from both having something to do with server clusters).

-AZ

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Alaa NIZAR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What's the difference between using Terracotta instead of using Apache with
> mod_jk?
>
> I think they are used for the same purpose, load balancing and scalability.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Sent from Samsung Mobile

believed to be clean.