[Building Sakai] Sakai Installation Screencasts

Sean Keesler-2 Sean Keesler-2

[Building Sakai] Sakai Installation Screencasts

I've taken over some of the sakaiproject.org web site maintenance and
as such have been charged with responding to email sent through the
site's contact form.
A common plea on these emails includes technical help on installation
of Sakai. Although I direct the new users to the lists and the
excellent community documentation, I still find that they are missing
a step (or 2 or 3 or 100) in the complex process.

It would a great resource to have a screencast that walks the new user
through the installation process on Windows and Linux (at least) to
accompany the text docs.
Most of these people are not yet developing for Sakai, so I hesitate
to send them to the developer pages, where some very good screencasts
live (thanks, Zack).

Does anyone have the bandwidth to walk through the setup (as written
in the docs) a couple of times on a fresh machine and point out the
gotchas?
This might be best done right after the 2.7 release, but I'm just
trying to get a sense for the interest.

Sean Keesler
130 Academy Street
Manlius, NY 13104
315-682-0830
Anthony Whyte Anthony Whyte

Re: [Building Sakai] Sakai Installation Screencasts

If we can do it before Denver great but this might make for a rather fun docudramathon in Denver.

Anth

Zach A. Thomas Zach A. Thomas

On May 21, 2010, at 8:33 AM, Sean Keesler wrote:

> Does anyone have the bandwidth to walk through the setup (as written
> in the docs) a couple of times on a fresh machine and point out the
> gotchas?
> This might be best done right after the 2.7 release, but I'm just
> trying to get a sense for the interest.

I'd be happy to help with the Linux version, but Windows will fall to some other unlucky soul.

cheers,
Zach
angell angell

Re: [Building Sakai] Sakai Installation Screencasts

I've taken the liberty of adding this worthy idea to the list of tasks
that might be addressed in the Sakai Working Sessions at the Denver
conference. It might be a great teachable moment for a newer Sakai
user with more experienced hovering around for input.
http://wiki.sakaiproject.org/display/CONF2010/Sakai+Working+Session+Start

-- Nate