[Building Sakai] V10 source code?

Gregory Guthrie Gregory Guthrie

[Building Sakai] V10 source code?

I did the standard “svc co” of V10, and it downloaded a directory structure with 77 items at the top level – previous 2.8 version had 331 items – did I get the whole thing, and it is just structured differently?

And does this include various add-ins, or do I have to fetch them separately?

For example evaluation came with 2.8, but it looks like I have to fetch it separately?

And all of the newer added webservices and various other features, are these in the main branch?

Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: [Building Sakai] V10 source code?

Sakai 10 should have come from here:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sakai/tags/sakai-10.0/

or here:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sakai/branches/sakai-10.x

The count of root items sounds about right to me. What URL did you
checkout from?
-AZ

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 12:37 AM, Gregory Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did the standard “svc co” of V10, and it downloaded a directory structure
> with 77 items at the top level – previous 2.8 version had 331 items – did I
> get the whole thing, and it is just structured differently?
>

> And does this include various add-ins, or do I have to fetch them
> separately?
>

> For example evaluation came with 2.8, but it looks like I have to fetch it
> separately?
>
> And all of the newer added webservices and various other features, are these
> in the main branch?

Gregory Guthrie Gregory Guthrie

Re: [Building Sakai] V10 source code?

From (https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=93028745):
      svn co https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sakai/tags/sakai-10.0/ sakai-10.0

Then I see that I have to go add things for evaluation, or other tools before building - yes?
   (https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/)
This certainly makes sense in that these are optional, but this is a pretty big collection of things, some developmental, some testing, etc.
Is there any index of major (popular?) tools that are recommended to install?

For example, rubrics (irubric), do I need to get and install this to use rubrics?
I think that major vendors (rSmart, Unicon, Longsight, ...) have a bunch of add-in tools on their "standard" distributions, is this a good starting lace for someone to do their own local build?

This is an svn of code only, is there a corresponding set of documentation and descriptions?

Thanks.

Only core tools and services whip with a release. Gradually more are added as they pass various criteria, some are removed if they are no longer supported/used etc.

If you want to run additional tools you need to go and check them out individually and build as per their own instructions. If you had a bunch of tools from 2.8 previously, then you'll need to migrate them over for Sakai 10.

However 331 top level items sounds like you are in the wrong place. I can't think of 331 modules for Sakai. Would be good if you can give a listing?

cheers,
Steve

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Gregory Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>From (https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=93028745):
      svn co https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sakai/tags/sakai-10.0/ sakai-10.0

Then I see that I have to go add things for evaluation, or other tools before building - yes?
   (https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/)
This certainly makes sense in that these are optional, but this is a pretty big collection of things, some developmental, some testing, etc.
Is there any index of major (popular?) tools that are recommended to install?

For example, rubrics (irubric), do I need to get and install this to use rubrics?
I think that major vendors (rSmart, Unicon, Longsight, ...) have a bunch of add-in tools on their "standard" distributions, is this a good starting lace for someone to do their own local build?

This is an svn of code only, is there a corresponding set of documentation and descriptions?

Thanks.

Matthew Jones-2 Matthew Jones-2

Re: [Building Sakai] V10 source code?

You don't have to build contrib tools at the same time as all the others. You can build the core Sakai and later decide to add in contrib tools. Many things are in contrib because

- They require significant additional time or work to setup and use (like evaluations)
- They have licenses that are (or were) incompatible with the ECL (Gradebook 2, at least in previous versions)
- They require paying for some external service in order to use (like iRubric, turnitin, big blue button)
- They just aren't as well supported as a similar core tool or deemed as essential to teaching and learning

Longsight doesn't add anything in by default over what you see in the core. We will advise our clients about what is available both in contrib and LTI while mentioning the potential risks involved in using these features. ANI has their own custom licensed distribution which probably includes things from different sources.

i'd say the most popular contrib tools (that doesn't require paying an external license) are running on the nightly experimental server.
http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org/ (Click on the additional capabilities link)
A list of all tools including contrib which appears updated pretty recently is here: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/Directory

Though some of the projects on this list may not run in current versions of Sakai and may no longer be supported.

Currently to use rubrics in Sakai in gradebook and for assignments, you need iRubric. Lessons in 10 has support for rubrics for student content in Lessons. It would be nice if a simple rubrics tool could exist OOTB but that hasn't been written yet.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Steve Swinsburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Only core tools and services whip with a release. Gradually more are added as they pass various criteria, some are removed if they are no longer supported/used etc.

If you want to run additional tools you need to go and check them out individually and build as per their own instructions. If you had a bunch of tools from 2.8 previously, then you'll need to migrate them over for Sakai 10.

However 331 top level items sounds like you are in the wrong place. I can't think of 331 modules for Sakai. Would be good if you can give a listing?

cheers,
Steve

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Gregory Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>From (https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=93028745):
      svn co https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sakai/tags/sakai-10.0/ sakai-10.0

Then I see that I have to go add things for evaluation, or other tools before building - yes?
   (https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/)
This certainly makes sense in that these are optional, but this is a pretty big collection of things, some developmental, some testing, etc.
Is there any index of major (popular?) tools that are recommended to install?

For example, rubrics (irubric), do I need to get and install this to use rubrics?
I think that major vendors (rSmart, Unicon, Longsight, ...) have a bunch of add-in tools on their "standard" distributions, is this a good starting lace for someone to do their own local build?

This is an svn of code only, is there a corresponding set of documentation and descriptions?

Thanks.

The 2.8 files:  (http://pastebin.com/jiquDX0A)
   331 top level folders,
   52340  files,  22790  folders,  5262355  lines,  406305897  bytes.

The 2.10 files:
   78 top level folders,
   43984  files,  15490  folders,  5766885  lines,  454630509  bytes.

Looks like comparable sizes, perhaps just reorganized? (Gosh - this is a lot of code!)

Is there some central index or listing (& descriptions) of various tools and add-ons?
I see lots of interesting things around (e.g. Duke, "toolkits" for adding members), but how to install or add them, and what they do, etc.
A "Sakai shopping mall"?!

Looking at this: https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/msub/
I didn't see any documentation or descriptions.

From (https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=93028745):
      svn co https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sakai/tags/sakai-10.0/ sakai-10.0

Then I see that I have to go add things for evaluation, or other tools before building - yes?
   (https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/)
This certainly makes sense in that these are optional, but this is a pretty big collection of things, some developmental, some testing, etc.
Is there any index of major (popular?) tools that are recommended to install?

For example, rubrics (irubric), do I need to get and install this to use rubrics?
I think that major vendors (rSmart, Unicon, Longsight, ...) have a bunch of add-in tools on their "standard" distributions, is this a good starting lace for someone to do their own local build?

This is an svn of code only, is there a corresponding set of documentation and descriptions?

Thanks.

That's not the top level of sakai 2.8 that is every top level folder and every sub level folder flattened into one list. You must have reorganized it and written a new pom otherwise it wouldn't build.

Msub is for other organisations to store sakai code, basically just a repo for local mods that people may want to share.

sent from my mobile device

On 21/07/2014 11:22 PM, "Gregory Guthrie" <[hidden email]> wrote:
The 2.8 files:  (http://pastebin.com/jiquDX0A)
   331 top level folders,
   52340  files,  22790  folders,  5262355  lines,  406305897  bytes.

The 2.10 files:
   78 top level folders,
   43984  files,  15490  folders,  5766885  lines,  454630509  bytes.

Looks like comparable sizes, perhaps just reorganized? (Gosh - this is a lot of code!)

Is there some central index or listing (& descriptions) of various tools and add-ons?
I see lots of interesting things around (e.g. Duke, "toolkits" for adding members), but how to install or add them, and what they do, etc.
A "Sakai shopping mall"?!

Looking at this: https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/msub/
I didn't see any documentation or descriptions.
Only core tools and services whip with a release. Gradually more are added as they pass various criteria, some are removed if they are no longer supported/used etc.

If you want to run additional tools you need to go and check them out individually and build as per their own instructions. If you had a bunch of tools from 2.8 previously, then you'll need to migrate them over for Sakai 10.

However 331 top level items sounds like you are in the wrong place. I can't think of 331 modules for Sakai. Would be good if you can give a listing?
cheers,
Steve

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Gregory Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>From (https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=93028745):
      svn co https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sakai/tags/sakai-10.0/ sakai-10.0

Then I see that I have to go add things for evaluation, or other tools before building - yes?
   (https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/)
This certainly makes sense in that these are optional, but this is a pretty big collection of things, some developmental, some testing, etc.
Is there any index of major (popular?) tools that are recommended to install?

For example, rubrics (irubric), do I need to get and install this to use rubrics?
I think that major vendors (rSmart, Unicon, Longsight, ...) have a bunch of add-in tools on their "standard" distributions, is this a good starting lace for someone to do their own local build?

This is an svn of code only, is there a corresponding set of documentation and descriptions?

Thanks.

Thanks – while I am not now sure where I svn’ed it from, that’s all I did – I didn’t do any re-organization or mods.
And I did not write any new pom.
“It’s a mystery”, but in the past so not of much importance or relevance.