[Building Sakai] chat in presence

Charles Hedrick Charles Hedrick

[Building Sakai] chat in presence

I've heard people talk about this, but I'm not sure what has happened. Is anyone working on a text chat to other people in the site, presumably triggered by clicking on their name in the presence list? I have in mind something like the facebook chat. I'd be inclined to use the infrastructure from chat rooms rather than going outside to another chat server, to avoid having to synchronize accounts with another service.

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment
Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

Chuck,

I thought about it and when I looked the code over, it felt to me that you could do it all in the presence servlet with a bit of clever Javascript and no persistence.
Nice and surgical just use the presense framework as it exists.

I would probably do a tiny pop-up window rather than a popup iframe.  I would not try to make it a full replacement for the chat tool, hoping that if folks really wanted to talk a long time - they would just use the chat tool.

Just thinking out loud.

/Chuck

On May 28, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Charles Hedrick wrote:

> I've heard people talk about this, but I'm not sure what has happened. Is anyone working on a text chat to other people in the site, presumably triggered by clicking on their name in the presence list? I have in mind something like the facebook chat. I'd be inclined to use the infrastructure from chat rooms rather than going outside to another chat server, to avoid having to synchronize accounts with another service.

Ed Garay Ed Garay

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

Why do it, though?

Why not simply link to Skype, GoogleTalk or some other full-featured text/video/audio chat tool?  Or write Sakai connectors for some of these tools, with SSO, primarily.

Just thinking aloud.
Hi Chuck.

Ed Garay
Assistant Director for Academic Computing
Director, UIC Instructional Technology Lab
University of Illinois at Chicago
www.accc.uic.edu/Itl
www.twitter.com/garay

1940 West Taylor Street, Room BGRC 124
Chicago, Illinois 60612

[  Sent from iPad  ]

On May 28, 2010, at 6:45 PM, csev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> I thought about it and when I looked the code over, it felt to me that you could do it all in the presence servlet with a bit of clever Javascript and no persistence.
> Nice and surgical just use the presense framework as it exists.
>
> I would probably do a tiny pop-up window rather than a popup iframe.  I would not try to make it a full replacement for the chat tool, hoping that if folks really wanted to talk a long time - they would just use the chat tool.
>
> Just thinking out loud.
>
> /Chuck
>
> On May 28, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Charles Hedrick wrote:
>
>> I've heard people talk about this, but I'm not sure what has happened. Is anyone working on a text chat to other people in the site, presumably triggered by clicking on their name in the presence list? I have in mind something like the facebook chat. I'd be inclined to use the infrastructure from chat rooms rather than going outside to another chat server, to avoid having to synchronize accounts with another service.

Sean DeMonner Sean DeMonner

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

Because not everyone in a class has access to those other tools, but they do have access to the site? And maybe you want the Chat transcript to be part of the academic record of the site?

This feature is a longstanding request...

SMD.

On May 28, 2010, at 8:23 PM, Ed Garay wrote:

[...]

Sean DeMonner, IT Senior Project Manager, CTools Implementation Group
Digital Media Commons @ The Duderstadt Center, U-M      (734) 615-9765

angell angell

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

Hi Ed! Glad to see you posting on the Sakai lists ;)

One issue with linking to an external chat service is it would require
all the users to have/create accounts on the same common external chat
service...might work well for institutions on Google or MS email as
they would have a logical common choice, but for others...

--
Nate Angell
Client Evangelist

Martin B. Smith Martin B. Smith

On 5/28/2010 7:45 PM, csev wrote:
> I thought about it and when I looked the code over, it felt to me that you could do it all in the presence servlet with a bit of clever Javascript and no persistence.
> Nice and surgical just use the presense framework as it exists.

XMPP (http://xmpp.org/) handles presence, primarily is used for
point-to-point chat and chat rooms, and is already an open standard with
Java-based implementations.

It's the technology behind Google Talk, Jabber software, has (sometimes)
rough interoperability with _many_ other protocols, and allows
federation between servers. There's even a JCR (Jackrabbit) storage
adapter for the Apache XMPP server.

I think the hardest part of integrating Sakai components that speak XMPP
is figuring out the model... does Sakai host an XMPP server inside the
app? could Sakai simply be a witness on an existing XMPP chat room? how
does that user or server address map to the wider XMPP world? etc...

One neat possibility would be to choose a subdomain for Sakai XMPP,
say... sakaichat.example.edu, and then federate Sakai an as XMPP server
such that anyone can reach Sakai users with
[hidden email], and have Sakai components process all of
that information involved in an exchange. Say you had students working
on an external XMPP server (LJ Talk, for example)... you could invite
some system user or 'course-site bot' from the federated
sakaichat.example.edu, and still get all of the benefit as if the
conversation happened internally.

</rambling...>
--
Martin B. Smith
[hidden email] - (352) 273-1374

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment
Ed Garay Ed Garay

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

I see, but Blackboard has had a very easy to use and reliable text chat bulit-in for years (no jokes, please) and yet, I see less and less classes using in it, in recent years.  Instead, our instructors want audio chats, video chats and application sharing, that is, modern media-rich communication, and tools students and teachers alike are very familiar with, like Skype, messenger, GoogleTalk and some such.

At UIC we also have Wimba Voice Tools, which provides several audio tools, including a real-time audio and text-chat that can also saves archives for on-demand playback, ...and we have Wimba Pro (which unlike Voice Tools, is free).

Pronto is very popular, very useful and provides not only SSO, but also automatic course site aggregation.  Pronto knows what classes students and teachers belong to and it automatically lists you when you are logged in (yes, there is a stealth setting to hide).

I have used Wimba Voice Direct and Pronto in my classes, and even administered short real-time audio quizzes/interviews with my students really like.  Students use Pronto to get together on their own, inside and outside of Blackboard.

We have Wimba Voice and Pronto integrated with Blackboard, but if I remember correctly, Wimba was working with the Sakai community about a year ago trying to integrate their tools with Sakai, so you might already have access to free Pronto at least or be close to getting it.  Shouldn't be too hard since it's essentially jabber with a pretty UI plus LMS hooks.  Check with the Wimba folks.

Greetings from Chicago,

On May 28, 2010, at 7:34 PM, Nate Angell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ed! Glad to see you posting on the Sakai lists ;)
>
> One issue with linking to an external chat service is it would require
> all the users to have/create accounts on the same common external chat
> service...might work well for institutions on Google or MS email as
> they would have a logical common choice, but for others...
>
> --
> Nate Angell
> Client Evangelist
> http://www.rsmart.com
> http://twitter.com/xolotl
> http://xolotl.org
>
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Ed Garay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Why do it, though?
>>
>> Why not simply link to Skype, GoogleTalk or some other full-featured text/video/audio chat tool?  Or write Sakai connectors for some of these tools, with SSO, primarily.
>>
>> Just thinking aloud.
>> Hi Chuck.
>>
>> Ed Garay
>> Assistant Director for Academic Computing
>> Director, UIC Instructional Technology Lab
>> University of Illinois at Chicago
>> www.accc.uic.edu/Itl
>> www.twitter.com/garay
>>
>> 1940 West Taylor Street, Room BGRC 124
>> Chicago, Illinois 60612
>>
>> [  Sent from iPad  ]
>>
>> On May 28, 2010, at 6:45 PM, csev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Chuck,
>>>
>>> I thought about it and when I looked the code over, it felt to me that you could do it all in the presence servlet with a bit of clever Javascript and no persistence.
>>> Nice and surgical just use the presense framework as it exists.
>>>
>>> I would probably do a tiny pop-up window rather than a popup iframe.  I would not try to make it a full replacement for the chat tool, hoping that if folks really wanted to talk a long time - they would just use the chat tool.
>>>
>>> Just thinking out loud.
>>>
>>> /Chuck

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

I am working with Wimba and trying to convince them to use support BasicLTI in their products.

Once they do that, Wimba becomes a pretty simple drop-in for Sakai.

/Chuck

On May 28, 2010, at 9:10 PM, Ed Garay wrote:

> We have Wimba Voice and Pronto integrated with Blackboard, but if I remember correctly, Wimba was working with the Sakai community about a year ago trying to integrate their tools with Sakai, so you might already have access to free Pronto at least or be close to getting it.  Shouldn't be too hard since it's essentially jabber with a pretty UI plus LMS hooks.  Check with the Wimba folks.

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

Back to the mini-brainstorm on SMS, I figured in my own mental design for this that the "SMS" feature would *not* be part of the academic record.  If they wanted to do a recorded interaction use the chat tool - maybe I will put together some code as an experiment.

Hmmm.

/Chuck

On May 28, 2010, at 8:28 PM, Sean DeMonner wrote:

> Because not everyone in a class has access to those other tools, but they do have access to the site? And maybe you want the Chat transcript to be part of the academic record of the site?
>
> This feature is a longstanding request...

Sloane, James Sloane, James

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

I've done some mods to the presence tool that does this, you can click someones name and send them a chat request that opens the chat tool. I don't have the code with me but I'll upload it to a jira on Monday.

I thought about it and when I looked the code over, it felt to me that you could do it all in the presence servlet with a bit of clever Javascript and no persistence.
Nice and surgical just use the presense framework as it exists.

I would probably do a tiny pop-up window rather than a popup iframe.  I would not try to make it a full replacement for the chat tool, hoping that if folks really wanted to talk a long time - they would just use the chat tool.

Just thinking out loud.

/Chuck

On May 28, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Charles Hedrick wrote:

> I've heard people talk about this, but I'm not sure what has happened. Is anyone working on a text chat to other people in the site, presumably triggered by clicking on their name in the presence list? I have in mind something like the facebook chat. I'd be inclined to use the infrastructure from chat rooms rather than going outside to another chat server, to avoid having to synchronize accounts with another service.

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

(I sent this before but my mail app crashed.)

There is a prototype for a floating chat panel here:
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17524

In addition, my team is working on a complementary chat which uses the connections from Profile2, so you can chat wherever you are, rather than being in a specific location. It is based on ActiveMQ. I may have a prototype to show at the conference.

For interested parties we'll also be porting this to uPortal.

cheers,
Steve

On 29/05/2010, at 6:25 AM, Charles Hedrick wrote:

> I've heard people talk about this, but I'm not sure what has happened. Is anyone working on a text chat to other people in the site, presumably triggered by clicking on their name in the presence list? I have in mind something like the facebook chat. I'd be inclined to use the infrastructure from chat rooms rather than going outside to another chat server, to avoid having to synchronize accounts with another service.

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

Wimba is already a pretty easy drop in, I've done some work on the connector and it builds in everything from 2.4 onwards. I need to shuffle it around in SVN but can give you a link if you are interested.

BasicLTI would be a much better approach though.

cheers,
Steve

On 29/05/2010, at 12:31 PM, csev wrote:

> I am working with Wimba and trying to convince them to use support BasicLTI in their products.
>
> Once they do that, Wimba becomes a pretty simple drop-in for Sakai.
>
> /Chuck
>
> On May 28, 2010, at 9:10 PM, Ed Garay wrote:
>
>> We have Wimba Voice and Pronto integrated with Blackboard, but if I remember correctly, Wimba was working with the Sakai community about a year ago trying to integrate their tools with Sakai, so you might already have access to free Pronto at least or be close to getting it.  Shouldn't be too hard since it's essentially jabber with a pretty UI plus LMS hooks.  Check with the Wimba folks.

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

While this might not exactly match the SMS use case, it feels like a nice start.  I just posted the following comment to the JIRA:

Can anyone come up with a good reason not to simply put this in trunk with a suitable switch to toggle it on and off and release it for Sakai 2.8? Looking at this, it is primarily a portal patch and I as the technical lead for portal, would be happy to see this go in as long as it could be conveniently turned on and off.

I understand that there may be some tweaking and cleanup - but that is generally best done in trunk rather than in a patch - and if it felt a little wonky when we need to freeze 2.8, just default it off and keep working on it.

Thoughts?

/Chuck

On May 28, 2010, at 11:52 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

(I sent this before but my mail app crashed.)

There is a prototype for a floating chat panel here:
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17524

In addition, my team is working on a complementary chat which uses the connections from Profile2, so you can chat wherever you are, rather than being in a specific location. It is based on ActiveMQ. I may have a prototype to show at the conference.

For interested parties we'll also be porting this to uPortal.

cheers,
Steve

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [Building Sakai] Floating Chat in Portal

Chuck H,

I was not talking about the ActiveMQ stuff in my comment about putting in trunk - I was only talking about Adrian's code.

Adrian's code is not new infrastructure - just some UI eye-candy atop existing infrastructure.

Just separate threads that shared a subject line and I just forked the subject line :)

It sounds like the ActiveMQ stuff is a you and Steve project around profile2 more than a patch to portal.

/Chuck S.

On May 30, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Hedrick Charles wrote:

I'm not sure which you want to put in trunk, but I would say that if we go ahead with the chat that I proposed, I'd like to share as much of the ActiveMQ code and other infrastructure with Steve as possible. Putting the infrastructure in trunk, even if our specific code didn't go there, would certainly be useful.

I'm like 90% sure that we'll do this. The main issue is that the person we're thinking of will only be with us for the summer. Thus we'll need to make sure that the project can be started by June 28, and that we can get something useful done in two man-months.

Re: [Building Sakai] Floating Chat in Portal

The chat I will be working on will be very similar to the one you've seen already. It will be a patch to portal to provide the markup, and then some components to setup the ActiveMQ messaging broker. The UI will be a little different. Initially, you'll be able to chat with your connections (which come from the Profile2 entity provider).

I see two extensions:

1. allow a click from a user in presence to trigger a chat.
2. detect what site you are in and load that site's participant list so you can chat with people there.

cheers,

On 31/05/2010, at 1:51 AM, Hedrick Charles wrote:

> For Steve it's a profile2 project. For me it's a portal project. I'm proposing to do something so you can click a name in the presence list and chat with them, very much like chat in Facebook. If Steve hadn't responded to me, I probably would have used the chat code as a base, as Adrian seems to have done. However I have grave qualms about the quality and extensibility of that code. So if Steve is integrating ActiveMQ in a way that my project can use, my first reaction (without actually having tried it) is that it might be a better base.
>
> I'll need a hook into the portal, but I'd guess that it won't be big enough that it absolutely has to go into the kernel. However if ActiveMQ is going to be used by more than one project, it might be worth putting it into the kernel. You'll probably want to wait and see if Steve (and possibly my student) actually come up with something.
>

> On May 30, 2010, at 11:44:28 AM, csev wrote:
>

>> It sounds like the ActiveMQ stuff is a you and Steve project around profile2 more than a patch to portal.

Sloane, James Sloane, James

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

I uploaded a patch in http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18574
It's only something simple but it seems to do the job.

D. Stuart Freeman D. Stuart Freeman

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 08:51:39PM -0400, Martin B. Smith wrote:
> I think the hardest part of integrating Sakai components that speak XMPP
> is figuring out the model... does Sakai host an XMPP server inside the
> app? could Sakai simply be a witness on an existing XMPP chat room? how
> does that user or server address map to the wider XMPP world? etc...

I think this is also the most important part of how Sakai and XMPP would
integrate.  Ideally both approches should be possible, if you don't
already have an XMPP server on your campus Sakai should be able to
provide one, but if you do Sakai should be able to integrate with it so
that you don't have to host competing services.

--
D. Stuart Freeman
Georgia Institute of Technology

Charles Hedrick Charles Hedrick

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

I appreciate this. I'm going to talk with our user support people. This was an approach I considered. The problem is that (1) you can only have one active at a time (2) it's visible to everyone. I'm not sure whether that's a problem or not. My thought was either to create a new chat room dynamically or to use a different infrastructure.

On May 30, 2010, at 8:07 PM, Sloane, James wrote:

> I uploaded a patch in http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18574
> It's only something simple but it seems to do the job.

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

Right - James' approach is not an "SMS" - it is an invitation to join someone in the chat tool.

Looking at the code, it would not take much to add the SMS use case instead of the "invite to chat" - there is already a new event and a new listener.   A bit more work would be needed - but a lot of the plumbing is laid down.

/Chuck

On Jun 2, 2010, at 11:18 AM, Charles Hedrick wrote:

> I appreciate this. I'm going to talk with our user support people. This was an approach I considered. The problem is that (1) you can only have one active at a time (2) it's visible to everyone. I'm not sure whether that's a problem or not. My thought was either to create a new chat room dynamically or to use a different infrastructure.

Anthony Whyte Anthony Whyte

Re: [Building Sakai] chat in presence

Clay--how about adding a summary of the "chat in presence" thread to the 2.8 possible scenarios page in Confluence.  There is code, there are interested parties and some good ideas here.

Cheers,

Anthony