[Building Sakai] new web content tool error

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

[Building Sakai] new web content tool error

You can't have a target URL that contains a space in the new Web Content tool.

Is that deliberate? It's breaking loads of our pages. A blocker.

adam

--

** Note change of email address to [hidden email] **

Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.
IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

Sam Ottenhoff Sam Ottenhoff

Re: [Building Sakai] new web content tool error

Isn't a space invalid in a URL? http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt

   Characters can be unsafe for a number of reasons.  The space
   character is unsafe because significant spaces may disappear and
   insignificant spaces may be introduced when URLs are transcribed or
   typeset or subjected to the treatment of word-processing programs.
   The characters "<" and ">" are unsafe because they are used as the
   delimiters around URLs in free text; the quote mark (""") is used to
   delimit URLs in some systems.  The character "#" is unsafe and should
   always be encoded because it is used in World Wide Web and in other
   systems to delimit a URL from a fragment/anchor identifier that might
   follow it.  The character "%" is unsafe because it is used for
   encodings of other characters.  Other characters are unsafe because
   gateways and other transport agents are known to sometimes modify
   such characters. These characters are "{", "}", "|", "\", "^", "~",
   "[", "]", and "`".

   All unsafe characters must always be encoded within a URL.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Adam Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can't have a target URL that contains a space in the new Web Content tool.

Is that deliberate? It's breaking loads of our pages. A blocker.

adam

--

** Note change of email address to [hidden email] **

Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.
IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

Cris J Holdorph Cris J Holdorph

Re: [Building Sakai] new web content tool error

If the new tool is working differently and has less "functionality" then
the old tool, it does seem like a 'regression' and should have a jira
created for it.

---- Cris J H

On 07/30/2014 08:55 AM, Adam Marshall wrote:

> I don’t dispute that URL should not contains spaces but the old Web
> Content tool did accept them. I would imagine a good solution would be
> to accept URLs with spaces but translate the space to %20 before storing
> in the DB. The same goes for other disallowed characters.
>
> Our users will go nuts (technical term) if they have to manually
> translate spaces to %20 in order to save a Web Content link.
>
> adam
>
> --
>
> ** Note change of email address to [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> **
>
> Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.
>
> IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

What system is providing your users with invalid characters?  How do users arrive at links with spaces?

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

Our users will go nuts (technical term) if they have to manually translate spaces to %20 in order to save a Web Content link.

What system is providing your users with invalid characters?  How do users arrive at links with spaces?

Re: [Building Sakai] new web content tool error

Hi Adam,

Do you have any specific examples of URLs that have spaces?  We would need this in order to see if we can reproduce the problem. If we cannot reproduce it, no way to fix it.

July 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM

No specific system but I’m sure our users will find one! Either that or they’ll type in a URL which contains spaces.

adam

--

** Note change of email address to [hidden email] **

Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.

IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

What system is providing your users with invalid characters?  How do users arrive at links with spaces?

July 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Our users will go nuts (technical term) if they have to manually translate spaces to %20 in order to save a Web Content link.

What system is providing your users with invalid characters?  How do users arrive at links with spaces?
July 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM

[...]

July 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM
[...]

July 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM
You can't have a target URL that contains a space in the new Web Content tool.

Is that deliberate? It's breaking loads of our pages. A blocker.

adam

--

** Note change of email address to [hidden email] **

Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.
IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

Sakai Community Coordinator
Apereo Foundation

Cris J Holdorph Cris J Holdorph

Re: [Building Sakai] new web content tool error

A "url with spaces" can be reproduced (have not tried using it with the
web content tool) by typing into your address bar of your browser.

For example if I search for "sakai and apereo" (without quotes) into a
google search, I get the following URL:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai+and+apereo

However, I can edit that and replace the value after the 'q' with

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai and apereo

and I get the same resulting page.

---- Cris J H

On 07/30/2014 09:22 AM, Neal Caidin wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Do you have any specific examples of URLs that have spaces?  We would
> need this in order to see if we can reproduce the problem. If we cannot
> reproduce it, no way to fix it.
>
> Thanks,
> Neal
>

>> Adam Marshall <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> July 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM
>>
>> No specific system but I’m sure our users will find one! Either that
>> or they’ll type in a URL which contains spaces.
>>
>> adam
>>
>> --
>>
>> ** Note change of email address to [hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]> **
>>
>> Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.
>>
>> IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: [Building Sakai] new web content tool error

It looks like the actual request that gets sent (from chrome anyway) is this:
q=sakai%20and%20apereo
I might be misreading what chrome is doing but that's what it looks
like from the debug.
-AZ

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Cris J Holdorph <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A "url with spaces" can be reproduced (have not tried using it with the
> web content tool) by typing into your address bar of your browser.
>
> For example if I search for "sakai and apereo" (without quotes) into a
> google search, I get the following URL:
>
> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai+and+apereo
>
> However, I can edit that and replace the value after the 'q' with
>
> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai and apereo
>
> and I get the same resulting page.
>
> ---- Cris J H
>
> On 07/30/2014 09:22 AM, Neal Caidin wrote:
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> Do you have any specific examples of URLs that have spaces?  We would
>> need this in order to see if we can reproduce the problem. If we cannot
>> reproduce it, no way to fix it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Neal
>>

>>> Adam Marshall <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> July 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM
>>>
>>> No specific system but I’m sure our users will find one! Either that
>>> or they’ll type in a URL which contains spaces.
>>>
>>> adam
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> ** Note change of email address to [hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]> **
>>>
>>> Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.
>>>
>>> IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

Which is probably what the old web content tool did and what the new web
content tool should probably do.

---- Cris J H

On 07/30/2014 09:51 AM, Aaron Zeckoski wrote:

> It looks like the actual request that gets sent (from chrome anyway) is this:
> q=sakai%20and%20apereo
> I might be misreading what chrome is doing but that's what it looks
> like from the debug.
> -AZ
>
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Cris J Holdorph <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A "url with spaces" can be reproduced (have not tried using it with the
>> web content tool) by typing into your address bar of your browser.
>>
>> For example if I search for "sakai and apereo" (without quotes) into a
>> google search, I get the following URL:
>>
>> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai+and+apereo
>>
>> However, I can edit that and replace the value after the 'q' with
>>
>> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai and apereo
>>
>> and I get the same resulting page.
>>
>> ---- Cris J H
>>
>> On 07/30/2014 09:22 AM, Neal Caidin wrote:
>>> Hi Adam,
>>>
>>> Do you have any specific examples of URLs that have spaces?  We would
>>> need this in order to see if we can reproduce the problem. If we cannot
>>> reproduce it, no way to fix it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Neal

Brian Baillargeon Brian Baillargeon

Re: [Building Sakai] new web content tool error

Sounds like web content needs to run javascript along the lines of:
URL is valid?:
     submit
URL is invalid?:
     encodeURI()
     valid now?:
         submit

On 14-07-30 12:58 PM, Cris J Holdorph wrote:

> Which is probably what the old web content tool did and what the new web
> content tool should probably do.
>
> ---- Cris J H
>
> On 07/30/2014 09:51 AM, Aaron Zeckoski wrote:
>> It looks like the actual request that gets sent (from chrome anyway) is this:
>> q=sakai%20and%20apereo
>> I might be misreading what chrome is doing but that's what it looks
>> like from the debug.
>> -AZ
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Cris J Holdorph <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> A "url with spaces" can be reproduced (have not tried using it with the
>>> web content tool) by typing into your address bar of your browser.
>>>
>>> For example if I search for "sakai and apereo" (without quotes) into a
>>> google search, I get the following URL:
>>>
>>> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai+and+apereo
>>>
>>> However, I can edit that and replace the value after the 'q' with
>>>
>>> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai and apereo
>>>
>>> and I get the same resulting page.
>>>
>>> ---- Cris J H

There was a one line fix to simply replace spaces with %20 so that the URL stored is correct. On retrieval, this can be added as well so that URLs are always correct, even if added in some other manner other than the UI.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Brian Baillargeon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds like web content needs to run javascript along the lines of:
URL is valid?:
     submit
URL is invalid?:
     encodeURI()
     valid now?:
         submit

On 14-07-30 12:58 PM, Cris J Holdorph wrote:
> Which is probably what the old web content tool did and what the new web
> content tool should probably do.
>
> ---- Cris J H
>
> On 07/30/2014 09:51 AM, Aaron Zeckoski wrote:
>> It looks like the actual request that gets sent (from chrome anyway) is this:
>> q=sakai%20and%20apereo
>> I might be misreading what chrome is doing but that's what it looks
>> like from the debug.
>> -AZ
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Cris J Holdorph <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> A "url with spaces" can be reproduced (have not tried using it with the
>>> web content tool) by typing into your address bar of your browser.
>>>
>>> For example if I search for "sakai and apereo" (without quotes) into a
>>> google search, I get the following URL:
>>>
>>> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai+and+apereo
>>>
>>> However, I can edit that and replace the value after the 'q' with
>>>
>>> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai and apereo
>>>
>>> and I get the same resulting page.
>>>
>>> ---- Cris J H

So the Web Content tool was updated in 2.9.2, I believe. When is the last time a URL with spaces worked? Sakai 2.8.x ?

-- Neal

July 30, 2014 at 7:59 PM
There was a one line fix to simply replace spaces with %20 so that the URL stored is correct. On retrieval, this can be added as well so that URLs are always correct, even if added in some other manner other than the UI.

July 30, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Sounds like web content needs to run javascript along the lines of:
URL is valid?:
submit
URL is invalid?:
encodeURI()
valid now?:
submit

July 30, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Which is probably what the old web content tool did and what the new web
content tool should probably do.

---- Cris J H
July 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM
It looks like the actual request that gets sent (from chrome anyway) is this:
q=sakai%20and%20apereo
I might be misreading what chrome is doing but that's what it looks
like from the debug.
-AZ

July 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM
A "url with spaces" can be reproduced (have not tried using it with the
web content tool) by typing into your address bar of your browser.

For example if I search for "sakai and apereo" (without quotes) into a
google search, I get the following URL:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai+and+apereo

However, I can edit that and replace the value after the 'q' with

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sakai and apereo

and I get the same resulting page.

---- Cris J H

Sakai Community Coordinator
Apereo Foundation

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [Building Sakai] new web content tool error

I am catching up with this thread.  Is there a JIRA for this?   I am sure this is fixable quickly if we know exactly what is needed.

As the person who wrote the Portlet based Web Content tool, I could have easily introduced this.   I fixed a *bunch* of security JIRAs that were complaining about allowing bad URLs to pass through.   We added code in the UI to flag them with nasty messages and since there were lots of bad URLs in the database, we added code at launch time that complains and suppresses the launch.

Are there log messages?

Please make JIRA and tell me clearly what is going on and I am happy to fix it.  A screen shot and look at any log messages would be most helpful so I can quickly reproduce the problem.

/Chuck

On Jul 30, 2014, at 10:52 AM, Adam Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can't have a target URL that contains a space in the new Web Content tool.
>
> Is that deliberate? It's breaking loads of our pages. A blocker.
>
> adam
>
> --
>
> ** Note change of email address to [hidden email] **
>
> Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.
> IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [Building Sakai] new web content tool error

Time is up.  Actually my caffeine level won't let me stop thinking about this :)

Here is the JIRA:

The JIRA has a patch - not the real fix -but a quick adjustment with a print statement.  Please apply the patch and test and report back.

If this works - I will move the relevant code back into FormattedText add a few unit tests and and commit it and then provide you with a real patch.

I think we found the issue - I think the solution is clean.  Waiting for your reply.