Citations Helper survey

Jon Dunn Jon Dunn

Citations Helper survey

(Apologies for cross-posting…)

Indiana University Libraries and the University of Michigan Library are conducting an online survey of members of the Sakai community who are using or who have evaluated the Citations Helper (aka ‘Citation Lists’) feature in Sakai CLE. The survey will be available through Friday, June 3 at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WNCZTRV

This survey is designed to help us better understand current use of and desired features for Citations Helper, in order to inform future directions and development within the Sakai community regarding citation lists and library integration.

We have also planned a BOF at the upcoming LA Sakai Conference (currently scheduled for Thursday morning at 9:45 - see description below) to discuss future development and support of Citations Helper, at which we will provide a summary of the survey results.

The survey is short, and we expect that it will take no more than 5-10 minutes to complete. Thanks in advance for your participation, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Jon

---

Jon Dunn

Director, Library Technologies and Digital Libraries

IU Bloomington Libraries / University Information Technology Services

Indiana University

[hidden email]

(812) 855-0953

===================

Citations Helper: Future Directions for Development & Support

16-Jun-2011

9:45 AM – 10:45 AM

Santa Barbara A

The Sakai Citations Helper feature, first introduced in 2007 in Sakai 2.4, allows students and instructors to create citation lists within the Sakai Resources tool. Since the original design of this feature, there have been major changes in the library technology landscape with the emergence of discovery tools such as Primo, Summon, and EBSCO Discovery Search; in the bibliographic management landscape with the emergence of tools such as Mendeley and Zotero; and in the Sakai world with the development of Sakai OAE. Given these changes, it makes sense to have a community discussion about future support and development of Citations Helper.

The purpose of this session is to gather together librarians, instructional technologists, training and support professionals, and developers to discuss current use of Citations Helper, desired improvements, and potential models for ongoing development and support.

Jon Dunn Jon Dunn

Reminder: Citations Helper survey

This is a reminder that a brief online survey is available for members of the Sakai community who are using or have evaluated the Citations feature of Sakai CLE, in preparation for a Citations BOF to be held at the LA Sakai Conference on the morning of Thursday, June 16 (more details below).

The survey has been extended through Wednesday, June 8 and is available at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WNCZTRV

My thanks to those of you who have already filled out the survey.

Jon

Jon Dunn Jon Dunn

Notes posted from Citations Helper discussion session in LA

Better late than never, notes from the Citations Helper BoF / discussion session at the Sakai 2011 conference in LA have been linked from the session page on Confluence: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/wI6CB

Many thanks to all who participated in this session and contributed to the discussion.

One of the near-term actions that was discussed in the session is a community effort to test RIS import/export with Citations Helper across a variety of common bibliographic management tools (e.g. Endnote, RefWorks, Zotero, and others). Mark Notess of Indiana University will be putting together a page on Confluence to help organize and document this effort and will be sending an e-mail to the sakai-user list in the near future to solicit participation. We plan to continue to use the sakai-user list as a home for functionality-related discussion of Citations Helper and other Sakai-library integration topics.

Jon

---

Jon Dunn

Director, Library Technologies and Digital Libraries

IU Bloomington Libraries / University Information Technology Services

Indiana University

[hidden email]

(812) 855-0953

Adam Marshall Adam Marshall

Re: Notes posted from Citations Helper discussion session in LA

We may well be looking at developing 3 separate import buttons:

-          Import from RIS (EndNote)

-          Import from RIS (RefWorks)

-          Import from RIS (default)

Obviously the last is the incumbent import.

Does that sound like a good approach or does a RIS file has some sort of meta data saying how it was generated?

adam