Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

12
angell angell

Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

I took the liberty of submitting a placeholder discussion session for the community to meet with the Sakai Product Council at the upcoming conference in Denver, including all council members and Clay as the Product Manager as presenters. The full text of the submission is below. Only single choices were allowed in many of the track fields, so I had to make somewhat arbitrary choices.

We can revise if it moves forward.

Session Title
---
Meet the Sakai Product Council

Brief Abstract - (65 words max.) for printed programs and other marketing purposes)
---
Meet with representatives of the Sakai Product Council to hear an update of their activities over their first year in formation and their goals for the future in Sakai’s 2.x and 3.x versions. Ask questions about and discuss the Council’s role in the Sakai product management process and its models for membership and governance. Add your voice to the stewardship of Sakai!

Full Abstract - 300 word limit (this longer abstract will be used on the conference website)
---
The Sakai Product Council acts on behalf of the broad Sakai community to ensure the exceptional quality and cohesiveness of Sakai product releases in their support of varied teaching, research and collaboration needs.  It does this formally by determining those projects which will go into a release, and informally by advising projects as they progress from R&D to production-ready maturity.  The Product Council will undertake its work: by employing the expertise of its members, through direct consultation with experts in the community, with reference to best practices for technology, pedagogy and standards, by establishing and communicating clear and objective criteria.

You can read an interim report of Product Council activity in 2009 and goals for 2010 on the Sakai wiki at http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/SPC+Update+January+2010.

Join us at the Sakai conference to meet representatives from the Council, hear a current update of our activity and goals, and give us your input on our work to date and going forward.

Track - (pick one)
---
Multiple Audiences

Subtrack (Subject/Area of Focus Tags) - (pick one)
--
Sakai 3

Target Audiences - (pick one)
---
Managers/Administrators

Presentation Format
---
Discussion

Presentation length (from 30min to 4hrs)
---
90 minutes

--
Nate Angell
rSmart Client Evangelist

Eli Cochran-2 Eli Cochran-2

Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

Nate,
This sounds great. Thanks for putting this on the schedule.

- Eli

On Feb 28, 2010, at 12:07 PM, Nate Angell wrote:

[...]

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley

Clay Fenlason Clay Fenlason

Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

I've been giving some thought lately to how the traditional project
coordination meetings might be improved this time around, and one
thought that strikes me immediately is that it would be good if the
product council played a key role in facilitating these working
sessions, perhaps severally in breakout sessions. I think it would be
a good fit for the PC's role, as well as a good opportunity for PC
members to get face time with development teams while working through
issues. This would also mean asking PC members to plan to be available
on those days, the Sunday and Friday wrapping the conference week.

wdyt?

~Clay

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Eli Cochran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> hear a current update of our activity and goals, and give us your input on
> our work to date and going forward.
> Track - (pick one)
> ---
> Multiple Audiences
> Subtrack (Subject/Area of Focus Tags) - (pick one)
> --
> Sakai 3
> Target Audiences - (pick one)
> ---
> Managers/Administrators
> Presentation Format
> ---
> Discussion
> Presentation length (from 30min to 4hrs)
> ---
> 90 minutes
> --
> Nate Angell
> rSmart Client Evangelist
>
> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .

Eli Cochran-2 Eli Cochran-2

Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

I'd like to hear more about what you have in mind. But I'm in, I had planned on attending the planning sessions anyway.

- Eli

On Mar 9, 2010, at 2:45 AM, Clay Fenlason wrote:

> [...]
>> hear a current update of our activity and goals, and give us your input on
>> our work to date and going forward.
>> Track - (pick one)
>> ---
>> Multiple Audiences
>> Subtrack (Subject/Area of Focus Tags) - (pick one)
>> --
>> Sakai 3
>> Target Audiences - (pick one)
>> ---
>> Managers/Administrators
>> Presentation Format
>> ---
>> Discussion
>> Presentation length (from 30min to 4hrs)
>> ---
>> 90 minutes
>> --
>> Nate Angell
>> rSmart Client Evangelist
>>
>> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley

Michael Feldstein Michael Feldstein

Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

Yeah, sounds good to me too.

As a bonus, we could have a "Dunk a Product Council Member" booth as a fundraiser.

- m

 Oracle Email Signature Logo
Michael Feldstein | Principal Product Manager| 818-817-2925
Oracle Higher Education Product Development
25 Christian Hill Road | Great Barrington, MA 01230

> [...]

>> Council, hear a current update of our activity and goals, and give us
>> your input on our work to date and going forward.
>> Track - (pick one)
>> ---
>> Multiple Audiences
>> Subtrack (Subject/Area of Focus Tags) - (pick one)
>> --
>> Sakai 3
>> Target Audiences - (pick one)
>> ---
>> Managers/Administrators
>> Presentation Format
>> ---
>> Discussion
>> Presentation length (from 30min to 4hrs)
>> ---
>> 90 minutes
>> --
>> Nate Angell
>> rSmart Client Evangelist
>>
>> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley

Noah Botimer Noah Botimer

Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

I suppose interpretation hinges on the definition of facilitation.

I might rather like to make an advance, open call for commitment from
a few top-notch facilitators, whoever they are. I think broad PC
participation is a great goal, since (as I see it) our job is to have
conversations that give us and share a broad perspective of what's
important to, and happening within, the community.

I'm rather reluctant to say that "the PC should run the coordination
meetings". It might even run counter to what I read as the goal of
face-to-face time, which is saying "we're all here and listening",
rather than "we're all here and running the show".

Thanks,
-Noah

P.S. I suppose this might be primarily a personal reflection, given
that I'm a lousy facilitator who can't keep his mouth shut. Others
who are better facilitators might come off as less autocratic, though
I still have reservations about the method and message.

On Mar 9, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Eli Cochran wrote:

> [...]
>>> Presentation Format
>>> ---
>>> Discussion
>>> Presentation length (from 30min to 4hrs)
>>> ---
>>> 90 minutes
>>> --
>>> Nate Angell
>>> rSmart Client Evangelist
>>>
>>> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
>>>              .
>>> Eli Cochran
>>> user interaction developer
>>> ETS, UC Berkeley

> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
>                    .
>
> Eli Cochran
> user interaction developer
> ETS, UC Berkeley

Clay Fenlason Clay Fenlason

Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

I don't know exactly what would be best yet, either, but autocratic
meeting running is not I think what anyone had in mind.

Rather than facilitation, let me instead say: I think a quorum of
Product Council members should be there and closely engaged. What that
means is yet TBD, but I would like to get it in people's calendars
before travel plans are fixed.

~Clay

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Noah Botimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suppose interpretation hinges on the definition of facilitation.
>
> I might rather like to make an advance, open call for commitment from a few
> top-notch facilitators, whoever they are. I think broad PC participation is
> a great goal, since (as I see it) our job is to have conversations that give
> us and share a broad perspective of what's important to, and happening
> within, the community.
>
> I'm rather reluctant to say that "the PC should run the coordination
> meetings". It might even run counter to what I read as the goal of
> face-to-face time, which is saying "we're all here and listening", rather
> than "we're all here and running the show".
>
> Thanks,
> -Noah
>

> P.S. I suppose this might be primarily a personal reflection, given that I'm
> a lousy facilitator who can't keep his mouth shut. Others who are better
> facilitators might come off as less autocratic, though I still have
> reservations about the method and message.
>

> On Mar 9, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Eli Cochran wrote:
>
>> I'd like to hear more about what you have in mind. But I'm in, I had
>> planned on attending the planning sessions anyway.
>>
>> - Eli
>>

>> On Mar 9, 2010, at 2:45 AM, Clay Fenlason wrote:
>>
>>> I've been giving some thought lately to how the traditional project
>>> coordination meetings might be improved this time around, and one
>>> thought that strikes me immediately is that it would be good if the
>>> product council played a key role in facilitating these working
>>> sessions, perhaps severally in breakout sessions. I think it would be
>>> a good fit for the PC's role, as well as a good opportunity for PC
>>> members to get face time with development teams while working through
>>> issues. This would also mean asking PC members to plan to be available
>>> on those days, the Sunday and Friday wrapping the conference week.
>>>
>>> wdyt?
>>>
>>> ~Clay

>> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
>>               .
>>
>> Eli Cochran
>> user interaction developer
>> ETS, UC Berkeley

Noah Botimer Noah Botimer

Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

I like this message better. :-)

I am planning to attend and be closely engaged.

Thanks,
-Noah

On Mar 9, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Clay Fenlason wrote:

> I don't know exactly what would be best yet, either, but autocratic
> meeting running is not I think what anyone had in mind.
>
> Rather than facilitation, let me instead say: I think a quorum of
> Product Council members should be there and closely engaged. What that
> means is yet TBD, but I would like to get it in people's calendars
> before travel plans are fixed.
>
> ~Clay
>
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Noah Botimer <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I suppose interpretation hinges on the definition of facilitation.
>>
>> I might rather like to make an advance, open call for commitment
>> from a few
>> top-notch facilitators, whoever they are. I think broad PC
>> participation is
>> a great goal, since (as I see it) our job is to have conversations
>> that give
>> us and share a broad perspective of what's important to, and
>> happening
>> within, the community.
>>
>> I'm rather reluctant to say that "the PC should run the coordination
>> meetings". It might even run counter to what I read as the goal of
>> face-to-face time, which is saying "we're all here and listening",
>> rather
>> than "we're all here and running the show".
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Noah
>>

>> P.S. I suppose this might be primarily a personal reflection,
>> given that I'm
>> a lousy facilitator who can't keep his mouth shut. Others who are
>> better
>> facilitators might come off as less autocratic, though I still have
>> reservations about the method and message.
>>

>> On Mar 9, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Eli Cochran wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to hear more about what you have in mind. But I'm in, I had
>>> planned on attending the planning sessions anyway.
>>>
>>> - Eli

>>> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
>>>               .
>>>
>>> Eli Cochran
>>> user interaction developer
>>> ETS, UC Berkeley

angell angell

Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

I agree with this general strategy and plan to attend the project planning meetings around the Sakai Denver conference and engage productively.

Thanks for bringing the scheduling to our attention Clay.

- Nate

On Mar 9, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Noah Botimer wrote:

> I like this message better. :-)
>
> I am planning to attend and be closely engaged.
>
> Thanks,
> -Noah
>
> On Mar 9, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Clay Fenlason wrote:
>
>> I don't know exactly what would be best yet, either, but autocratic
>> meeting running is not I think what anyone had in mind.
>>
>> Rather than facilitation, let me instead say: I think a quorum of
>> Product Council members should be there and closely engaged. What that
>> means is yet TBD, but I would like to get it in people's calendars
>> before travel plans are fixed.
>>
>> ~Clay
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Noah Botimer <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> I suppose interpretation hinges on the definition of facilitation.
>>>
>>> I might rather like to make an advance, open call for commitment
>>> from a few
>>> top-notch facilitators, whoever they are. I think broad PC
>>> participation is
>>> a great goal, since (as I see it) our job is to have conversations
>>> that give
>>> us and share a broad perspective of what's important to, and
>>> happening
>>> within, the community.
>>>
>>> I'm rather reluctant to say that "the PC should run the coordination
>>> meetings". It might even run counter to what I read as the goal of
>>> face-to-face time, which is saying "we're all here and listening",
>>> rather
>>> than "we're all here and running the show".
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Noah
>>>

>>> P.S. I suppose this might be primarily a personal reflection,
>>> given that I'm
>>> a lousy facilitator who can't keep his mouth shut. Others who are
>>> better
>>> facilitators might come off as less autocratic, though I still have
>>> reservations about the method and message.

Eli Cochran-2 Eli Cochran-2

Sakai 3 Summit > WAS: Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

I'm wondering if it's time to "recast" the product coordination meeting entirely. While these meetings can be very productive, they can also be very unfocused.

I have an alternate proposal: a Sakai 3 Summit. This would be much more than a planning meeting, although planning would be part of it. As a member of the Sakai 3 development team, I would like some serious face-time with my colleagues on the Sakai 3 project: planning, working, casual discussion, hashing out some of the tough  and/or contentious stuff.

And reluctantly, I would want to encourage attendance to only those who either working on the project, or are planning to work on the project in the relatively near term. (I acknowledge that this may not be political or practical.)

There could also be a parallel Sakai 2.x planning/road-mapping meeting but I worry that there are too many folks who would need to attend both (I can already hear Clay's soul rending in two as I write this.)

If we don't use this opportunity for a formal Sakai 3 Summit then it'll have to happen informally between sessions, in the bar, etc. But I'd much rather have this as a scheduled and coordinated event.

Thanks,
Eli

On Mar 9, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Clay Fenlason wrote:

> I don't know exactly what would be best yet, either, but autocratic
> meeting running is not I think what anyone had in mind.
>
> Rather than facilitation, let me instead say: I think a quorum of
> Product Council members should be there and closely engaged. What that
> means is yet TBD, but I would like to get it in people's calendars
> before travel plans are fixed.
>
> ~Clay
>
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Noah Botimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I suppose interpretation hinges on the definition of facilitation.
>>
>> I might rather like to make an advance, open call for commitment from a few
>> top-notch facilitators, whoever they are. I think broad PC participation is
>> a great goal, since (as I see it) our job is to have conversations that give
>> us and share a broad perspective of what's important to, and happening
>> within, the community.
>>
>> I'm rather reluctant to say that "the PC should run the coordination
>> meetings". It might even run counter to what I read as the goal of
>> face-to-face time, which is saying "we're all here and listening", rather
>> than "we're all here and running the show".
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Noah
>>

>> P.S. I suppose this might be primarily a personal reflection, given that I'm
>> a lousy facilitator who can't keep his mouth shut. Others who are better
>> facilitators might come off as less autocratic, though I still have
>> reservations about the method and message.
>>

>> On Mar 9, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Eli Cochran wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to hear more about what you have in mind. But I'm in, I had
>>> planned on attending the planning sessions anyway.
>>>
>>> - Eli

>>> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
>>>               .
>>>
>>> Eli Cochran
>>> user interaction developer
>>> ETS, UC Berkeley

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley

Clay Fenlason Clay Fenlason

Re: Sakai 3 Summit > WAS: Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

I think it's right that we should make these windows of time more
about working meetings than they have been in the past, and a
practical, focused gathering of people doing actual Sakai 3 work seems
to me entirely appropriate as one wing of that activity. I'm also
disinclined to large plenary sessions, at this particular point in our
history. I think we might more usefully divide by the practical work
we're trying to get done, and so I'd expect other breakouts and not
just the 2 / 3 divide.

If it was going to be such a focused working meeting, would people
prefer two days together before or after, or have them bookend the
conference (which is the current default)? Ideas welcome, but I need
to press for an answer soon, because room reservations need to get
sorted (not to mention flights arranged).

~Clay

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Eli Cochran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> PC participation is a great goal, since (as I see it) our job is to
>>> have conversations that give us and share a broad perspective of
>>> what's important to, and happening within, the community.
>>>
>>> I'm rather reluctant to say that "the PC should run the coordination
>>> meetings". It might even run counter to what I read as the goal of
>>> face-to-face time, which is saying "we're all here and listening",
>>> rather than "we're all here and running the show".
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Noah
>>>

>>> P.S. I suppose this might be primarily a personal reflection, given
>>> that I'm a lousy facilitator who can't keep his mouth shut. Others
>>> who are better facilitators might come off as less autocratic,
>>> though I still have reservations about the method and message.

> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran-2 Eli Cochran-2

Re: Sakai 3 Summit > WAS: Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

The participants for a working meeting would be a bit different than for the historical planning meetings. We'll want to publicize a plan for those days and I, for one, will want to start encouraging/arm-twisting some of the Sakai 3 developers who might not hang out for planning to be there for those extra days.

- Eli

On Mar 9, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Clay Fenlason wrote:

> I think it's right that we should make these windows of time more
> about working meetings than they have been in the past, and a
> practical, focused gathering of people doing actual Sakai 3 work seems
> to me entirely appropriate as one wing of that activity. I'm also
> disinclined to large plenary sessions, at this particular point in our
> history. I think we might more usefully divide by the practical work
> we're trying to get done, and so I'd expect other breakouts and not
> just the 2 / 3 divide.
>
> If it was going to be such a focused working meeting, would people
> prefer two days together before or after, or have them bookend the
> conference (which is the current default)? Ideas welcome, but I need
> to press for an answer soon, because room reservations need to get
> sorted (not to mention flights arranged).
>
> ~Clay
>
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Eli Cochran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm wondering if it's time to "recast" the product coordination meeting entirely. While these meetings can be very productive, they can also be very unfocused.
>>
>> I have an alternate proposal: a Sakai 3 Summit. This would be much more than a planning meeting, although planning would be part of it. As a member of the Sakai 3 development team, I would like some serious face-time with my colleagues on the Sakai 3 project: planning, working, casual discussion, hashing out some of the tough  and/or contentious stuff.
>>
>> And reluctantly, I would want to encourage attendance to only those who either working on the project, or are planning to work on the project in the relatively near term. (I acknowledge that this may not be political or practical.)
>>
>> There could also be a parallel Sakai 2.x planning/road-mapping meeting but I worry that there are too many folks who would need to attend both (I can already hear Clay's soul rending in two as I write this.)
>>
>> If we don't use this opportunity for a formal Sakai 3 Summit then it'll have to happen informally between sessions, in the bar, etc. But I'd much rather have this as a scheduled and coordinated event.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eli
>>

>> On Mar 9, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Clay Fenlason wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know exactly what would be best yet, either, but autocratic
>>> meeting running is not I think what anyone had in mind.
>>>
>>> Rather than facilitation, let me instead say: I think a quorum of
>>> Product Council members should be there and closely engaged. What that
>>> means is yet TBD, but I would like to get it in people's calendars
>>> before travel plans are fixed.
>>>
>>> ~Clay

>> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .
>>
>> Eli Cochran
>> user interaction developer
>> ETS, UC Berkeley

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley

Eli Cochran-2 Eli Cochran-2

Re: Sakai 3 Summit > WAS: Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

I also prefer two back-to-back days for continuity and momentum. My preference would be for the two days after the conference. We may be tired, but we're also relaxed, up to speed, and no one is running off to put the final touches on their slides for the conference.

- Eli

On Mar 9, 2010, at 12:28 PM, Michael Feldstein wrote:

> In the past, I have found the bookends harder to negotiate. I think it would be easier to have it at one end or the other--preferably at the beginning, when everybody is fresh. That said, I think the Foundation Board has a similar idea, and since we have a lot of overlap in membership, it might be a good idea to coordinate with Josh (and Lois) on this.
>
> - m
>

> Oracle Email Signature Logo
> Michael Feldstein | Principal Product Manager| 818-817-2925
> Oracle Higher Education Product Development
> 25 Christian Hill Road | Great Barrington, MA 01230

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley

angell angell

Re: Sakai 3 Summit > WAS: Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

With Noah and others help, I'm still working to organize the hackathon space/events that we first attempted in Boston that would take place throughout the conference in a dedicated space. Perhaps we should cast the hackathon Stop/Go sessions as specifically focused on Sakai 2 and then 3, so there's room for both.

On Mar 9, 2010, at 11:54 AM, Eli Cochran wrote:

> [...]
>>> a great goal, since (as I see it) our job is to have conversations that give
>>> us and share a broad perspective of what's important to, and happening
>>> within, the community.
>>>
>>> I'm rather reluctant to say that "the PC should run the coordination
>>> meetings". It might even run counter to what I read as the goal of
>>> face-to-face time, which is saying "we're all here and listening", rather
>>> than "we're all here and running the show".
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Noah
>>>

>>> P.S. I suppose this might be primarily a personal reflection, given that I'm
>>> a lousy facilitator who can't keep his mouth shut. Others who are better
>>> facilitators might come off as less autocratic, though I still have
>>> reservations about the method and message.

> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Noah Botimer Noah Botimer

Re: Sakai 3 Summit > WAS: Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

Just as a detail, I was thinking that we should name it differently
this time. Despite our efforts, I think a wide impression was that it
was a development exercise last time.

Work-a-thon? Maybe. Maybe something snazzier, too.

Thanks,
-Noah

On Mar 9, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Nate Angell wrote:

> [...]

>> this.)
>>
>> If we don't use this opportunity for a formal Sakai 3 Summit then
>> it'll have to happen informally between sessions, in the bar, etc.
>> But I'd much rather have this as a scheduled and coordinated event.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eli
>>

>> On Mar 9, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Clay Fenlason wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know exactly what would be best yet, either, but autocratic
>>> meeting running is not I think what anyone had in mind.
>>>
>>> Rather than facilitation, let me instead say: I think a quorum of
>>> Product Council members should be there and closely engaged. What
>>> that means is yet TBD, but I would like to get it in people's
>>> calendars before travel plans are fixed.
>>>
>>> ~Clay

>> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .

Noah Botimer Noah Botimer

Re: [sakai-kernel] Re: Sakai 3 Summit > WAS: Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

Just one little voice...

I found the split sessions very meaningful; I think the best I've
attended. The second up-front day in Newport Beach and Paris fizzled
-- probably for a hundred reasons, but still...

I would also encourage folks to think back critically. I was not
there, but I recall that the Amsterdam pre-conference was very large
and rather more brainstorm-oriented. That may or may not be what we
need now.

Lots of folks want to get together for lots of different things --
but what should we spend the conference resources on? (Not to say
that interested people shouldn't do what interested people want to do
even if they're different.)

Also, I'd be interested to hear from folks who allocate resources.
There have been important brass-tacks conversations at and around
these sessions. It may be that working sessions would facilitate that
more or less than other formats.

Thanks,
-Noah

On Mar 9, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Eli Cochran wrote:

> I also prefer two back-to-back days for continuity and momentum. My
> preference would be for the two days after the conference. We may
> be tired, but we're also relaxed, up to speed, and no one is
> running off to put the final touches on their slides for the
> conference.
>
> - Eli
>
> On Mar 9, 2010, at 12:28 PM, Michael Feldstein wrote:
>
>> In the past, I have found the bookends harder to negotiate. I
>> think it would be easier to have it at one end or the other--
>> preferably at the beginning, when everybody is fresh. That said, I
>> think the Foundation Board has a similar idea, and since we have a
>> lot of overlap in membership, it might be a good idea to
>> coordinate with Josh (and Lois) on this.
>>
>> - m
>>

>> Oracle Email Signature Logo
>> Michael Feldstein | Principal Product Manager| 818-817-2925
>> Oracle Higher Education Product Development
>> 25 Christian Hill Road | Great Barrington, MA 01230

Oliver Heyer Oliver Heyer

Re: Sakai 3 Summit > WAS: Re: Conference Session Proposed: Meet the Sakai Product Council

+1 for the end of the conference. Many relevant FtoF discussions will
have taken place over the course of the week, and presumably the agenda
would be attuned to the themes that emerge out of them.

Oliver

Oliver Heyer
Manager, Learning Systems Group
Educational Technology Services