[DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

David Eveland David Eveland

[DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

All,

Sorry if this isn’t the right context for this.

We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

Any thoughts are helpful.

Dave E.
| Johnson University
865.251.2320
--- End of Message ---

image001.png (70K) Download Attachment
Gregory Guthrie Gregory Guthrie

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

David,

Yes – we have a similar interest and goal – and for it we have developed a reporting system that tracks students and faculty participation in site visits, forum messages and replies, and assignments across the weeks of a course.

Our system is setup for Distance Education, so reports by weeks across a course but could be easily adapted for other reporting periods.

One important goal is also to be able to track participation in a course for Federal Financial aid reasons, where the institution is legally obligated to monitor course participation, and the date of last participation if they become inactive. (There are legal guidelines on what constitutes participation.)

The way it works is that it started by using exports of data from various sitestats reports pasted into an Excel spreadsheet for reporting, but then I converted to have the spreadsheet use VBA database queries for the equivalent data, and then summarizes into tables by student, faculty and weekly progress and participation.

We later then expanded this so that DE and other faculty can generate a report from a web-page, which lists their Sakai courses, and then it invokes the Excel reporting system, saves as a pdf, and emails to the person.

I have since also created a set of web-services so that we can collect the data directly from Sakai using the pre-defined reports, and avoid database accesses (but not yet replaced the SQL queries with these). The system still has the Excel reporting tool which makes it a bit more complex, but is such a simple and good reporting and summary tool that we have not yet been motivated to re-code all of that reporting using a lower level language like Java.

I can send you some samples of reports, or code, or whatever you might find useful.

We were surprised to not find any such automated tools for this, especially the federal financial aid reporting requirements, although I think LongSight has added some tools for this which are available only on their servers - so I do not know any details since we run our own installation. Again I think your description of a hierarchical reporting tool for faculty, departments, and institution are important, and our next step is to create something similar – currently we only report on individual courses.

Sorry if this isn’t the right context for this.

We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

Any thoughts are helpful.

Dave E.
| Johnson University
865.251.2320
--- End of Message ---

image001.png (70K) Download Attachment
Pat Miller Pat Miller

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

Hi, David,
I just read Gregory's response and he seems to have a nice automated reporting system!

We have been querying a table into which our Sakai hosting partner (Longsight) feeds activity from all sites-- kind of a data mart which was built using SQL scripts originally used to extract the data from Sakai into files.  Now having this table makes it much easier to get the data we need for reports.  We don't have any contractual requirements like you do, but find it helpful to give info to our LMS faculty guidance council so they are aware of who of their colleagues are most active in Sakai.  It helps the LMS team to also see which tools are not being used so we can target training opportunities.  We also use it to find faculty exemplars to present at monthly faculty lunch'n' learns on how they use various Sakai or 3rd party tools.

We use Tableau to query this table to get both student activity and faculty activity.   We can see activity on all Sakai tools and for all course sites.  For LTI tools we can see the launch but, of course, since the actual activity is held by the tool site, we can't see the detailed activity.

We link the ID of the instructors with our Banner system to find out which departments they are from but this currently is not an automated process.  So we take the Tableau data summaries and import into Oracle to then link with Banner and come up with reports by College, department, etc.

I imagine the Sakai queries we are using are probably similar to the ones Gregory is using.  It would be good to find out how they compare!

Any of you going to the Aperio Conference?  I am presenting about what we do to get our reports.  But I was thinking of the session as a good chance to share ideas.

Pat
University of Notre Dame

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 3:50 PM, David Eveland <[hidden email]> wrote:

All,

Sorry if this isn’t the right context for this.

We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

Any thoughts are helpful.

Dave E.
| Johnson University
--- End of Message ---

Gregory Guthrie Gregory Guthrie

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

Pat,

This sounds interesting – I’d love to get a look at whatever you use, and the reports produced.

We are interested in developing this area, although we have limited resources, we might be able to help with implementations.

If you could PM me?

> [...]

 We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

 However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

 Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

--- End of Message ---

Berg, Alan Berg, Alan

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

For the long run, Sakai is xAPI enabled so you can get the activity streams out to a secure repository without querying the database. There is also some preliminary work on Caliper in the openLRS

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/LAI/Learning+Analytics+Initiative
https://github.com/Apereo-Learning-Analytics-Initiative/SakaiXAPI-Provider

Regards,

Alan

Alan Berg

Innovation working group
On the use of ICT in Education & Research
University of Amsterdam

Postbus 1025 / 1000 BA Amsterdam
Weesperzijde 190 / 1097 DZ Amsterdam

> [...]

 We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

 However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

 Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

--- End of Message ---

Luisa Li Luisa Li

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

Hello, Dave,

You might be interested to join the Apereo Learning Analytics Initiative. There's a maillist you can join and ask questions. See more here: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/LAI/Learning+Analytics+Initiative

How to get involved
1.        Join the mailing list: analytics@...
(subscribe by sending a message to
[hidden email])
2.        Join the calls (every other Wednesday)
3.        Contribute on github: https://github.com/Apereo-Learning-Analytics-Initiative

Best,
Luisa Li
Instructional Designer
Academic Technology & eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
(845) 575-3303 (work)
[hidden email]

From:        David Eveland <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:        03/31/2015 03:50 PM
Sent by:        [hidden email]

All,

Sorry if this isn’t the right context for this.

We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

Any thoughts are helpful.

Dave E.
| Johnson University
865.251.2320

--- End of Message ---

 [attachment "image001.png" deleted by Luisa Li/ADM/Marist] _______________________________________________
pedagogy mailing list
[hidden email]
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/mailman/listinfo/pedagogy

Gregory Guthrie Gregory Guthrie

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

Alan, Thanks – is there an example somewhere of an end-end usage of this for doing site usage and progress monitoring and analysis?

It looks very interesting, but is one part of a full system as I read it.

Similarly, the OpenDashboard from the Apero github site looks interesting, but is there any description or demo of its usage and results?

Best,

Gregory

> [...]

 We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

 However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

 Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

--- End of Message ---

Berg, Alan Berg, Alan

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

H Gregory,

The OpenDashboard is working with the OpenLRS at the Uniformed University.

We (well Unicon) provided a full end to end example with an LRS, fake data, Sakai for a 2 day hackathon at the LAK15 conference. http://lak15.solaresearch.org/zh/hackathon , https://www.surfspace.nl/artikel/1773-day-1--lak15-hackathon--building-an-educational-dashboard/ The hackathon is the second in a series. There are currently incoming inquiries for 6 more events. Patrick Lynch from Hull University is looking at the possibility for the Open Apereo Conference. We are going to keep track here: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/LAI/LAI+Hackathons

Both hackathons encompassed twenty attendee's which was enough for 4 teams. We are looking towards innovating with a scrum like event with a local dev team taking the baton after a hackathon. It would be great to sprint to crystalize local needs into a real product.

Stefan Mol from the University of Amsterdam and Catherine Zhoa from North West University Australia are keeping track of the emerging requirements across hackathons.  The requirements are just as important as the software artefacts and this are getting documented.

We are moving quite fast at the moment. You are most welcome to join in if you want to build openly within the community.

> [...]

 We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

 However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

 Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

--- End of Message ---

Pat Miller Pat Miller

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

Hi, Luisa,
We are hoping to implement the Open Analytics at our campus, but my impression is that it is more oriented toward predictive analytics about student performance -- which is excellent!  However for operational type reporting -- such as which faculty are using which tools in which course sites, seems a simpler reporting environment is more appropriate.

Again, hope we have some good discussion about easy to use tools for operational type reporting as well as the more predictive analytics frameworks.

Pat

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Luisa Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, Dave,

You might be interested to join the Apereo Learning Analytics Initiative. There's a maillist you can join and ask questions. See more here: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/LAI/Learning+Analytics+Initiative

How to get involved
1.        Join the mailing list: [hidden email]

From:        David Eveland <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:        03/31/2015 03:50 PM

Berg, Alan Berg, Alan

You might be interested to join the Apereo Learning Analytics Initiative. There's a maillist you can join and ask questions. See more here: <a href="https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/LAI/Learning&#43;Analytics&#43;Initiative" target="_blank">https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/LAI/Learning+Analytics+Initiative

From:        David Eveland <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:        03/31/2015 03:50 PM
Sent by:        [hidden email]

All,

Sorry if this isn’t the right context for this.

We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

Any thoughts are helpful.

Dave E.
| Johnson University

--- End of Message ---

 [attachment "image001.png" deleted by Luisa Li/ADM/Marist] _______________________________________________
pedagogy mailing list
[hidden email]
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/mailman/listinfo/pedagogy

Gregory Guthrie Gregory Guthrie

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

Thanks – such an important area from many angles, increasing public and federal scrutiny on outcomes, and the value for faculty and administration to monitor their own effectiveness at all levels.

From:        David Eveland <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:        03/31/2015 03:50 PM
Sent by:        [hidden email]

All,

Sorry if this isn’t the right context for this.

We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

Any thoughts are helpful.

Dave E.
| Johnson University

--- End of Message ---

 [attachment "image001.png" deleted by Luisa Li/ADM/Marist] _______________________________________________
pedagogy mailing list
[hidden email]
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/mailman/listinfo/pedagogy

David Eveland David Eveland

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

All,
This information has been most helpful and gives me great hope that we can implement something within the next year.  I feel like we’re not the only ones out there looking to do this (I felt like there had to be others, I just didn’t know where to look).

Greg, thanks for explaining how you all started out and where you are in the process.  You mentioned that I could see some samples of reports or code.  We share an instance (of Sakai 10.2) with other institutions to leverage cost-sharing, but I’m confident our host could do something like what you’ve been able to do.  We also have limited resources, but depending upon how much our Vice Provost wants to address this, we may be able to come up with something.

Pat, it does seem like Greg has something nice going.  I can see directly how the data provided back to an LMS faculty guidance council and individual schools can further inform the kinds of faculty development and  continued tool development within Sakai – that’s a great use case. I’m not familiar with Tableau so I’ll have to look into that. We use Jenzabar EX here, but I’m sure we could replicate your process of manually linking the data for reports. I’m not familiar with the Sakai queries and the tables in Sakai.  I’m not planning on attending the Apereo Conference, though you may have just given me enough of a reason to come and meet up and gain some ground on this question.  Thanks!

Ben, I’ll look into the OpenDashboard you mentioned.  Our host is Longsight, but I would guess that the OpenDashboard would be portable.

Again thank you all who shared what you know and are doing to address this question.

David Eveland | 865.251.2320
Johnson University TN
Instructional Designer/Faculty TSOE
7900 Johnson Drive, Knoxville, TN 37998
Introducing the new Johnson University Royals

From:        David Eveland <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:        03/31/2015 03:50 PM
Sent by:        [hidden email]

All,

Sorry if this isn’t the right context for this.

We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

Any thoughts are helpful.

Dave E.
| Johnson University

--- End of Message ---

 [attachment "image001.png" deleted by Luisa Li/ADM/Marist] _______________________________________________
pedagogy mailing list
[hidden email]
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/mailman/listinfo/pedagogy

Pat Miller Pat Miller

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

Hi, Alan,
It was great chatting with you at LAK15!  I had not thought of these dashboard hackathons as possibly also encompassing or resulting in dashboards on overall tool usage by faculty.   I guess if the flows of data include all the data we currently get in a table query then it should be able to give us this type of report.

As a non-developer with decent experience with various query tools on the administrative side of the university,  I use the tools most easily available on a data format that is easily accessible.  It would be great if Open LRS and Open Analytics could make operational reporting as easy as they seem to be making predictive analytics.  The infrastructure for it is more complex, however;  certainly much more involved than a single table with all the pertinent data pulled from the LMS.

Again, look forward to seeing great discussions/demonstrations at Apereo.

Pat

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:23 AM, Berg, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

 We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

 However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

 Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

--- End of Message ---

Berg, Alan Berg, Alan

Re: [DG: Teaching & Learning] Question - Anyone Tracking Faculty Activity in Courses?

Hi Pat,

Yes looking forward to talking with you again at the Open Apereo Conference.

LA at Campus level implies a movement towards data centralism.  Once you have your data governance (student control over their activity data) sorted out and your student activity from various systems mixed in with SIS in a data warehouse you can leverage for a wide range of potential  services which you would not necessarily call Learning analytics, but X Analytics  later (where X = predictive, action, academic etc) .

An example is the JISC infrastructure (http://analytics.jiscinvolve.org/wp/2015/02/13/refining-a-systems-architecture-for-learning-analytics/). Standards such as LTI, xAPI and Caliper (when it is publicly available in May?) and Learning Record Stores sit well in the picture and potentially allow universities a greater degree of interoperability.

In other words, if you use something like an LTI enabled dashboard and a standards based way to collect and query your student activity you can do work now, but also gain experience (and an incrementally improving infrastructure) for an emerging Open Learning Analytics framework later.

> [...]

 We’re presently looking to gather some data on the level and kind of involvement our faculty have in their online courses, and are familiar with the Statistics tool in Sakai to gather just this type of information.

 However, we’re also looking at being able to provide a more responsive engagement with faculty – if for example they’re not remaining engaged or active in their online courses (as our contract spells out).  One way to check for this is to use the Statistics tool in every course an instructor is teaching in in the current term, and then relay that information to that faculty member’s respective dean or school.

 Another way would be to have a service that simply looks into the current term’s courses for just this sort of data and notifies those deans accordingly if (say) the instructor hasn’t engaged with a particular course for more than 4 days.

--- End of Message ---