[DG: User Experience] Inline tab or pop-up for personal media in the media gallery tool?

Gary Thompson-4 Gary Thompson-4

[DG: User Experience] Inline tab or pop-up for personal media in the media gallery tool?

Hello,

I am working with Aaron Zeckoski at Unicon on behalf of Kaltura (and thereby several of you) to enhance the Media Gallery tool. One proposed enhancement is to provide a "My Media" view. This view would show a sakai-wide list of all the media uploaded personally by the user (regardless of site). It has been proposed to place a navigation tab in the tab list of the tool (alongside Collections and Site Library). Clicking this tab would show the My Media view.

I would like to know what you think of this idea. The crux of the issue is that normally, anything that crosses all sites and is personal to the user, resides in My Workspace. And if something of that nature (like Resources) is accessed in a tool in another site (outside of My Workspace), it is customarily done via a pop-up to convey to the user that what they are looking at is not part of the current site/tool, but really belongs to My Workspace. Yet while that is customary, it also makes for difficulty for the user. Either the user has to navigate out of the current Media Gallery site/tool, go over to My Workspace, find the corresponding tool there and then try to complete the workflow he had in mind, or he must deal with a pop-up which also takes him out of context, removes him from the browser history/back button, and forces him to have to close a second window by some means.

The main use case for having a view of My Media would be to provide the user with a view of his personal collection of uploaded media, from which he could select several media and create a new collection (or add them to an existing collection) in the Media Gallery tool of a particular site. Having the My Media tab inline, therefore, would provide the user with a more efficient workflow. And summarily, pop-ups are a bad user experience. But it does break convention.

So what would you choose: inline tab or pop-up for sakai-wide personal media in the media gallery tool?

Thanks in advance for the feedback,

Gary Thompson
Gary Thompson-4 Gary Thompson-4

Re: [DG: User Experience] Inline tab or pop-up for personal media in the media gallery tool?

Cross-posting to the Sakai-Kaltura list as well. Also to clarify, this is for CLE.

Thanks,

Gary

On Feb 27, 2012, at 9:12 PM, Gary Thompson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working with Aaron Zeckoski at Unicon on behalf of Kaltura (and thereby several of you) to enhance the Media Gallery tool. One proposed enhancement is to provide a "My Media" view. This view would show a sakai-wide list of all the media uploaded personally by the user (regardless of site). It has been proposed to place a navigation tab in the tab list of the tool (alongside Collections and Site Library). Clicking this tab would show the My Media view.
>
> I would like to know what you think of this idea. The crux of the issue is that normally, anything that crosses all sites and is personal to the user, resides in My Workspace. And if something of that nature (like Resources) is accessed in a tool in another site (outside of My Workspace), it is customarily done via a pop-up to convey to the user that what they are looking at is not part of the current site/tool, but really belongs to My Workspace. Yet while that is customary, it also makes for difficulty for the user. Either the user has to navigate out of the current Media Gallery site/tool, go over to My Workspace, find the corresponding tool there and then try to complete the workflow he had in mind, or he must deal with a pop-up which also takes him out of context, removes him from the browser history/back button, and forces him to have to close a second window by some means.
>
> The main use case for having a view of My Media would be to provide the user with a view of his personal collection of uploaded media, from which he could select several media and create a new collection (or add them to an existing collection) in the Media Gallery tool of a particular site. Having the My Media tab inline, therefore, would provide the user with a more efficient workflow. And summarily, pop-ups are a bad user experience. But it does break convention.
>
> So what would you choose: inline tab or pop-up for sakai-wide personal media in the media gallery tool?
>
> Thanks in advance for the feedback,
>
> Gary Thompson
Daphne Ogle Daphne Ogle

Re: [DG: User Experience] Inline tab or pop-up for personal media in the media gallery tool?

Hi Gary,

I haven't seen this tool in a very long time so was holding off responding but since no one else is I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Given your analysis, I think the right approach is inline.  Making it very clear which media is related to the current site and which is related elsewhere will help users understand the context is different than they may be used to in CLE.

Hope that helps!

-Daphne

On Feb 27, 2012, at 8:12 PM, Gary Thompson wrote:

[...]

Daphne Ogle-Glenn
Senior Interaction Designer
University of California, Berkeley
Educational Technology Services
cell (510) 846-8237

Gary Thompson-4 Gary Thompson-4

Re: [DG: User Experience] Inline tab or pop-up for personal media in the media gallery tool?

Hello,

I wanted to follow up on the email I sent asking the question: inline tab or pop-up for sakai-wide personal media in the media gallery tool?

Several people responded, and I have included the responses below. Thank you, the feedback was very helpful.

Based on the feedback, and my own inclination, we will proceed with an inline navigation element. Let me know if there is additional input.

Thanks,

Gary

You have actually brought up a very important part of what we are currently addressing at the moment. We see that along with fundamental navigation problems, it expands out to be around the kind of user contexts that are appropriate for many types of activity while also fulfilling particular personas' individual needs. What you have identified are areas that are apart of real life behaviour. Which addressed, isn't just a particular interaction or navigation element, but a contextually appropriate principle to apply through all user controlled states and flows. For example, challenges also crop-up from not only the perspective of my world but when working within courses, research projects, groups and collections where various perspectives of my stuff may need to be accessed for retrieving or a destination in itself. At any rate, be assured that you idea is one that's right on the money and part of the set of things we are looking at right now.
-- Sam Peck

I think this is an extremely good idea.  Currently the only way for one to find out what is already uploaded into Kaltura is through the Upload mechanism - as far as I can tell.  And this is a bit awkward when deciding on content that needs to go into a Collection because when you go to Upload, you are expecting to upload and not necessarily retrieve previously uploaded assets.  Having a tab that presents that media while in the Media Gallery would be a fast way of finding out what media you've already uploaded without the possibility of duplicating uploads.  Also, having a tab next to Collections and Site Library would be appropriate for quick access of asset information.  But as an alternative, what if My Media were accessed from the sub-heading links in the Site Library?  When you click on the Site Library tab, currently Upload New Media is the only sub-heading link but what if you also included a My Media link there as well.  It would make sense because when you are opera
 ting within Site Library you are managing media assets.  Right now you manage those assets by
1) choosing media that has already been added to the Site Library from the Site Library Media window
2)  Uploading new media from the aforementioned link
Seems to me that you would also want to
3) search for media you've already uploaded into My Media
So perhaps instead of a Tab you could add a link within the Site Library tab?  Either way I think accessing assets from My Media at this point in the workflow would be highly beneficial.
-- Will Rourk

Originally, we requested that the workspace allow one to see all of one's content as it makes perfect sense structurally.
We wanted people to be able to centrally manage their items across multiple sakai sites. In the workspace, you would not only be able to see all of your content, you would also be able to select it, and add it to various sites. You would also be able to dynamically build a collection based on a tag, and add that "collection" to your site. I don't think that it matters where the "all of my content" resides as long as it allows you functionality. For example, it's not about being able to "see" all of my content. It's about being able to manage the content.
-- Jama Coartney