LMS Cost Query

Ida Hallin Henriksen Ida Hallin Henriksen

LMS Cost Query

Hi,
I am a student at Durham university and am doing a research paper on LMS for higher education. I was wondering what the capital cost and on-going service costs for Sakai are?

I need a system which can deal with more than 16,000 active users.

Thank you, Ida

Re: LMS Cost Query

Hi Ida,

By 16,000 active users do you mean concurrent use or do you mean 16,000 accounts which have access to using Sakai? I'm guessing the latter. In which case I would say with confidence that Sakai can handle this number because it handles larger numbers than this at various institutions. If it is concurrent, I'm not sure and others might have to chime in.

I'm doubtful that anyone can provide you a breakdown of capital cost and on-going service costs since that depends on many questions your institution would make about the implementation, customization and management of Sakai. What you will get with Sakai is no licensing cost, open source and a vibrant community. The Sakai community operates in the open, meaning you or anyone can download the software at any time, and examine it. You can also modify it to your needs. We keep a bug register that is open to anyone to view as well. And we have numerous email lists with ongoing questions, discussions, help, and healthy debate.

I'm doubtful that helps much though, since it does not directly answer your question. Have you talked to anybody at your institution about your project?

Apereo Foundation
Sakai Community Coordinator

January 26, 2014 at 11:18 AM