Music Notation Display and Entry

John Diehl John Diehl

Music Notation Display and Entry

Sakai Community,

I am new to the Sakai community, and searching for components needed to allow both display and student entry of basic music notation in lessons and assessments.  I am working with the School of Music Theater and Dance at the University of Michigan, where we hope to develop a remedial tutoring system for entering freshmen.  The Sakai based examples I have seen at U of M can only display screen capture images of music, with student responses limited to clicking buttons for notes and other music notation elements.

I am looking for a Sakai module which provides some or all of the following:
  • Generating music on a staff based on teacher defined criteria; single notes, intervals, chords, scales.
  • Interactive student entry of notes on a staff; single notes, intervals, chords and scales.
  • Generating musical tones together with the notes either displayed or entered, as above.
I have found other learning management systems and third party products which do all of this, and more.  Is anyone aware of such a module for Sakai?

--
John R Diehl
Business Analyst

Berg, Alan Berg, Alan

Re: Music Notation Display and Entry

BasicLTI allows you to use external tools as if they are internal in Sakai CLE. One example is noteflight:

http://www.dr-chuck.com/csev-blog/2010/06/noteflight-as-a-ims-basic-lti-producer-cool-demonstration/

Regards,

Alan

Alan Berg

Innovation working group
On the use of ICT in Education & Research
University of Amsterdam

John Diehl John Diehl

Re: Music Notation Display and Entry

Alan,

Thank you for your response.  I have looked at Noteflight.  It is a comprehensive application for music composition and arrangement.  While it is an excellent product for composition, it is more for composers and sharing of musical scores than for teaching entry level music reading basics.  In a way, it is both too much and too little.  Perhaps an example would help.

An example lesson would allow the instructor to require the student to enter a series of major and minor 2nd, 3rd and 4th intervals.  These intervals would be generated dynamically by the application.  The student would enter the notes on a staff and be able to hear them played.  Ideally, the instructor could specify whether inversions are used, accidentals are required and a range of key signatures.  The student would be scored on which intervals were entered correctly, and given feedback on errors.

The Music Theory Skill Builder, a Moodle based tutoring and assessment module used at the Oxford School of Music, does much of this already. Unfortunately, in my discussions with Oxford they have so far been unable or unwilling to make it available as an LTI Producer.  Hence my search for a Sakai based solution.

markjnorton markjnorton