Need help with next week's PC meeting

Clay Fenlason Clay Fenlason

Need help with next week's PC meeting

I'm going to be on holiday and unavailable for much of next week, and
won't be able to make the Product Council meeting on Wednesday, the
7th. I'd like to ask if some other council member might volunteer to
run the meeting, move the larger agenda forward (ie. advancing on the
goals agreed to back in January), and collect notes on the discussion
in my absence. Please let me know if you can.

~Clay
Clay Fenlason Clay Fenlason

Re: Need help with next week's PC meeting

No one's come forward to help facilitate things, and I still won't be
able to be there, but I put up a meeting page [1] for an open session
on the assumption that it could still be useful to call in and have a
conversation. Note the time change we agreed to in the last meeting:

8 pm GMT + 2
7pm BST
2pm EDT

~Clay

[1] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org//x/LYAYB

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Clay Fenlason
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm going to be on holiday and unavailable for much of next week, and
> won't be able to make the Product Council meeting on Wednesday, the
> 7th. I'd like to ask if some other council member might volunteer to
> run the meeting, move the larger agenda forward (ie. advancing on the
> goals agreed to back in January), and collect notes on the discussion
> in my absence. Please let me know if you can.
>
> ~Clay

Michael Feldstein Michael Feldstein

Re: Need help with next week's PC meeting

Hello all,

I'm having trouble dialing in. Has the conference code # changed?

- m

 Oracle Email Signature Logo
Michael Feldstein | Principal Product Manager| 818-817-2925
Oracle Higher Education Product Development
25 Christian Hill Road | Great Barrington, MA 01230

No one's come forward to help facilitate things, and I still won't be able to be there, but I put up a meeting page [1] for an open session on the assumption that it could still be useful to call in and have a conversation. Note the time change we agreed to in the last meeting:

8 pm GMT + 2
7pm BST
2pm EDT

~Clay

[1] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org//x/LYAYB

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Clay Fenlason <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm going to be on holiday and unavailable for much of next week, and
> won't be able to make the Product Council meeting on Wednesday, the
> 7th. I'd like to ask if some other council member might volunteer to
> run the meeting, move the larger agenda forward (ie. advancing on the
> goals agreed to back in January), and collect notes on the discussion
> in my absence. Please let me know if you can.
>
> ~Clay

angell angell

Re: Need help with next week's PC meeting

Try again. Took me 2x to get in the call, but I'm there now.

On Apr 7, 2010, at 11:02 AM, Michael Feldstein wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm having trouble dialing in. Has the conference code # changed?
>
> - m
>

> Oracle Email Signature Logo
> Michael Feldstein | Principal Product Manager| 818-817-2925
> Oracle Higher Education Product Development
> 25 Christian Hill Road | Great Barrington, MA 01230

goodrum goodrum

Re: Need help with next week's PC meeting

22348# after Mar 27, '10
. PIN: 72524#

Pin is supposed to be the same... that's where I was having problems.
They seem to have stripped away the need for the PIN today

- D

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I'm going to be on holiday and unavailable for much of next week, and
>> won't be able to make the Product Council meeting on Wednesday, the
>> 7th. I'd like to ask if some other council member might volunteer to
>> run the meeting, move the larger agenda forward (ie. advancing on the
>> goals agreed to back in January), and collect notes on the discussion
>> in my absence. Please let me know if you can.
>>
>> ~Clay

Eli Cochran-2 Eli Cochran-2

EtherPad is going away.

Hi folks,
I just noticed at the end of our meeting a note on the EtherPad site:

"On April 14th, new pad creation will be disabled. Read more..."
[http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/transition-update]

I'll try to find us a good alternative.

- Eli

On Apr 7, 2010, at 11:08 AM, David Goodrum wrote:

> 22348# after Mar 27, '10
> . PIN: 72524#
>
> Pin is supposed to be the same... that's where I was having problems.
> They seem to have stripped away the need for the PIN today
>
> - D

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley

goodrum goodrum

Re: EtherPad is going away.

Hi,

I noticed that EtherPad is open source now; might an institution or the
foundation be willing to host an installation of EtherPad?

http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/etherpad-open-source-release

It seem to mee it has certainly been very useful during the PC meetings.

- David

I just noticed at the end of our meeting a note on the EtherPad site:

"On April 14th, new pad creation will be disabled. Read more..."
[http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/transition-update]

I'll try to find us a good alternative.

- Eli

On Apr 7, 2010, at 11:08 AM, David Goodrum wrote:

> 22348# after Mar 27, '10
> . PIN: 72524#
>
> Pin is supposed to be the same... that's where I was having problems.
> They seem to have stripped away the need for the PIN today
>
> - D

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
.

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley

Eli Cochran-2 Eli Cochran-2

Re: EtherPad is going away.

Sorry, I just noticed that we did use TypeWithMe for our latest meeting.

So that looks like our solution.

I must have missed the update.

- Eli

On Apr 7, 2010, at 12:14 PM, David Goodrum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that EtherPad is open source now; might an institution or the
> foundation be willing to host an installation of EtherPad?
>
> http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/etherpad-open-source-release
>
> It seem to mee it has certainly been very useful during the PC meetings.
>
> - David

>>> 7pm BST
>>> 2pm EDT
>>>
>>> ~Clay
>>>
>>> [1] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org//x/LYAYB

> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
> .
>
> Eli Cochran
> user interaction developer
> ETS, UC Berkeley

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley

Eli Cochran-2 Eli Cochran-2

Re: EtherPad is going away.

OK, one more thing. Since the EtherPad service is going away, I will move the old minutes to our confluence space.

- Eli

On Apr 7, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Eli Cochran wrote:

> Sorry, I just noticed that we did use TypeWithMe for our latest meeting.
>
> So that looks like our solution.
>
> I must have missed the update.
>
> - Eli
>

> On Apr 7, 2010, at 12:14 PM, David Goodrum wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that EtherPad is open source now; might an institution or the
>> foundation be willing to host an installation of EtherPad?
>>
>> http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/etherpad-open-source-release
>>
>> It seem to mee it has certainly been very useful during the PC meetings.
>>
>> - David

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley

John Norman John Norman

Re: EtherPad is going away.

Looks like TypeWithMe is just someone hosting EtherPad as suggested. (see footnote on home page)

On 7 Apr 2010, at 20:16, Eli Cochran wrote:

> Sorry, I just noticed that we did use TypeWithMe for our latest meeting.
>
> So that looks like our solution.
>
> I must have missed the update.
>
> - Eli
>

> On Apr 7, 2010, at 12:14 PM, David Goodrum wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that EtherPad is open source now; might an institution or the
>> foundation be willing to host an installation of EtherPad?
>>
>> http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/etherpad-open-source-release
>>
>> It seem to mee it has certainly been very useful during the PC meetings.
>>
>> - David

Sean Mehan Sean Mehan

Re: EtherPad is going away.

TypeWithMe IS only an etherpad hosted instance.

Etherpad was gobbled by google sometime ago, and etherpad was going to shut down ~four months ago. There was an outcry from the etherpad using community and the official etherpad site relented (temporarily) and turned the createNewPad function back on.
However, it is a dead code base, google are not making any public announcements about keeping it alive, and it is shutting down.

UHI have a dev instance, but I am not allowing it to go any further just now as I have very low confidence it will be there in a few months.

Regards,
Sean

On 8 Apr 2010, at 07:31, John Norman wrote:

> Looks like TypeWithMe is just someone hosting EtherPad as suggested. (see footnote on home page)
>
> On 7 Apr 2010, at 20:16, Eli Cochran wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I just noticed that we did use TypeWithMe for our latest meeting.
>>
>> So that looks like our solution.
>>
>> I must have missed the update.
>>
>> - Eli
>>

>> On Apr 7, 2010, at 12:14 PM, David Goodrum wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I noticed that EtherPad is open source now; might an institution or the
>>> foundation be willing to host an installation of EtherPad?
>>>
>>> http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/etherpad-open-source-release
>>>
>>> It seem to mee it has certainly been very useful during the PC meetings.
>>>
>>> - David

Sean Mehan
Head of Integrated Technologies
Learning and Information Services
UHI - www.uhi.ac.uk
seanmehan.com/blog/
--------------------
GuanXi - a SAML/Shibboleth IdP, SP and Toolkit - http://guanxi.sourceforge.net/
--------------------
Sakai - a Free VLE/VRE - http://sakaiproject.org/
Steven Githens Steven Githens

Re: EtherPad is going away.

Sean Mehan wrote:
> TypeWithMe IS only an etherpad hosted instance.
>
> Etherpad was gobbled by google sometime ago, and etherpad was going to shut down ~four months ago. There was an outcry from the etherpad using community and the official etherpad site relented (temporarily) and turned the createNewPad function back on.
> However, it is a dead code base, google are not making any public announcements about keeping it alive, and it is shutting down.

I'm not sure it's completely a dead code base, but even if it's not
being actively developed, I mean it's production quality and if you've
enjoyed using what's hosted right now, you could continue to enjoy that
if someone put up a stable server.

It does require grokking a bit of the authentication and account
management code but it's not so bad that I wouldn't expect someone to
shape that bit up, especially since it was so popular with lots of people.

Obviously out of the scope of this list and what people here are
actually working on, and not relevant, but just wanted to send an
Etherpad Shoutout because I really like this project, it's actually
pretty easy to check out and build, and hopefully someone will have the
gusto to make it easy to deploy with account management in the soonish
to near future.

http://code.google.com/p/etherpad/

-steve

> UHI have a dev instance, but I am not allowing it to go any further just now as I have very low confidence it will be there in a few months.
>
> Regards,
> Sean
>

> On 8 Apr 2010, at 07:31, John Norman wrote:
>

>> Looks like TypeWithMe is just someone hosting EtherPad as suggested. (see footnote on home page)
>>
>> On 7 Apr 2010, at 20:16, Eli Cochran wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry, I just noticed that we did use TypeWithMe for our latest meeting.
>>>
>>> So that looks like our solution.
>>>
>>> I must have missed the update.
>>>
>>> - Eli

John Norman John Norman

Re: EtherPad is going away.

I am still hoping someone will adapt it as a Sakai tool. If anyone has looked at the source code to see how maintainable it is, I'd be interested in the take on code complexity/maintainability.

FWIW the story I heard was that EtherPad was started by some developers leaving the Google Wave team to create something simpler. Google liked what the did and wanted them back in the Google Wave team, so they bought the company. There may be a comment about Google Wave complexity in there, but it may also just be a story that spread because you just want to believe it.

John

John Norman wrote:
> I am still hoping someone will adapt it as a Sakai tool. If anyone has looked at the source code to see how maintainable it is, I'd be interested in the take on code complexity/maintainability.

I actually branched this over the December holiday break (
http://code.google.com/r/sgithens-etherpad/source/list ) and started
looking at it.  I got as far bundling it up into a war file that would
coexist/run in the same tomcat as Sakai, and when I left off was looking
at hooking up a Context Listener to bootstrap it into things like a
Resource Type, and started looking just a little bit at making it use
Sakai's Authentication.

Because it does cool stuff, I think you might always have to let it have
it's own port for the hardcore asyncronous stuff.

They have interesting database tables too for all the versioning, and I
configured that so it would use Sakai's regular DB.

As far as maintainability, a bulk of their stuff is written in JS/Rhino,
and the underlying web framework is partially in Scala.  I'm sure the
internals may be complex, but my focus was just on integrating it (like
matching our auth/roles/groups to theirs and stuff), since again, it's
pretty stable and a lot of people use it already.

I'd like to get back to it one of these weekends, if anyone is
interesting on hacking on it let me know.  It could be an awesome
project to sprint on at the conference too.

Cheers,
Steve

> FWIW the story I heard was that EtherPad was started by some developers leaving the Google Wave team to create something simpler. Google liked what the did and wanted them back in the Google Wave team, so they bought the company. There may be a comment about Google Wave complexity in there, but it may also just be a story that spread because you just want to believe it.
>
> John
>
> On 8 Apr 2010, at 15:21, Steven Githens wrote:
>

>> Sean Mehan wrote:
>>
>>> TypeWithMe IS only an etherpad hosted instance.
>>>
>>> Etherpad was gobbled by google sometime ago, and etherpad was going to shut down ~four months ago. There was an outcry from the etherpad using community and the official etherpad site relented (temporarily) and turned the createNewPad function back on.
>>> However, it is a dead code base, google are not making any public announcements about keeping it alive, and it is shutting down.
>>>

>> I'm not sure it's completely a dead code base, but even if it's not being actively developed, I mean it's production quality and if you've enjoyed using what's hosted right now, you could continue to enjoy that if someone put up a stable server.
>>
>> It does require grokking a bit of the authentication and account management code but it's not so bad that I wouldn't expect someone to shape that bit up, especially since it was so popular with lots of people.
>>
>> Obviously out of the scope of this list and what people here are actually working on, and not relevant, but just wanted to send an Etherpad Shoutout because I really like this project, it's actually pretty easy to check out and build, and hopefully someone will have the gusto to make it easy to deploy with account management in the soonish to near future.
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/etherpad/
>>
>> -steve

Eli Cochran-2 Eli Cochran-2

Re: EtherPad is going away.

After being very excited by Google Wave, I have ended up been very disappointed with it. The interface is very confusing. It is very powerful but the UI doesn't really provide many landmarks for how to use it. And it is overly complex for the job the EtherPad does.

EtherPad would be a great addition to Sakai. It might be even a good jumping off point for our content editor, although it is by design a very bare-bones content tool.

The last day for EtherPad was supposed to be the 14th, but it's down today. I hope it'll be back up later, I haven't had a chance to hoover-up our old meeting notes.

- Eli

On Apr 8, 2010, at 9:07 AM, John Norman wrote:

> I am still hoping someone will adapt it as a Sakai tool. If anyone has looked at the source code to see how maintainable it is, I'd be interested in the take on code complexity/maintainability.
>
> FWIW the story I heard was that EtherPad was started by some developers leaving the Google Wave team to create something simpler. Google liked what the did and wanted them back in the Google Wave team, so they bought the company. There may be a comment about Google Wave complexity in there, but it may also just be a story that spread because you just want to believe it.
>
> John
>
> On 8 Apr 2010, at 15:21, Steven Githens wrote:
>
>> Sean Mehan wrote:
>>> TypeWithMe IS only an etherpad hosted instance.
>>>
>>> Etherpad was gobbled by google sometime ago, and etherpad was going to shut down ~four months ago. There was an outcry from the etherpad using community and the official etherpad site relented (temporarily) and turned the createNewPad function back on.
>>> However, it is a dead code base, google are not making any public announcements about keeping it alive, and it is shutting down.
>>>

>> I'm not sure it's completely a dead code base, but even if it's not being actively developed, I mean it's production quality and if you've enjoyed using what's hosted right now, you could continue to enjoy that if someone put up a stable server.
>>
>> It does require grokking a bit of the authentication and account management code but it's not so bad that I wouldn't expect someone to shape that bit up, especially since it was so popular with lots of people.
>>
>> Obviously out of the scope of this list and what people here are actually working on, and not relevant, but just wanted to send an Etherpad Shoutout because I really like this project, it's actually pretty easy to check out and build, and hopefully someone will have the gusto to make it easy to deploy with account management in the soonish to near future.
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/etherpad/
>>
>> -steve