Re: [Building Sakai] New Email Address

Jim Eng Jim Eng

Re: [Building Sakai] New Email Address

+1

On Jun 11, 2013, at 4:28 PM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Sakaiers,

Just a quick note to say that I'm using a new email address, [hidden email], in addition to my Lancaster one. I'm closing all my Google related accounts due to their alleged pimping of user data to the US government.

Cheers,
Adrian.

Ziegler, Jeff Ziegler, Jeff

Re: [Building Sakai] New Email Address

Ditto.

On Jun 11, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Jim Eng wrote:

+1

On Jun 11, 2013, at 4:28 PM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Sakaiers,

Just a quick note to say that I'm using a new email address, [hidden email], in addition to my Lancaster one. I'm closing all my Google related accounts due to their alleged pimping of user data to the US government.

Cheers,
Adrian.

"New != better.  Different != better.  Only better == better."

Jeff Ziegler
CTools Service Manager
Business Systems Analyst Associate
ITS Teaching and Learning Group
University of Michigan

David Adams-2 David Adams-2

Jim Eng Jim Eng

David Adams-2 David Adams-2

markjnorton markjnorton

John Bush John Bush

Re: [Building Sakai] New Email Address

Let me know how that works for you.  I've changed my signature in protest.

John Bush
602-490-0470

** This message is not private or confidential in fact the US
government is storing it in a warehouse located in Utah for future
data mining use cases should they arise. **

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Mark J. Norton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I made my statement directly to Google protesting an invasion of my privacy.
> I don't see changing email services will do much good at this point, but at
> least I can protect.  I sent an email msg to President Obama as well
> indicating that I do not like the very concept of Secret Law.
>
> - Mark
>

> On 6/13/2013 8:41 PM, David Adams wrote:
>
> Good for him for making a statement, but other than switching all
> communications over to Tor or something, there's really nothing practical
> that can be done to avoid being surveilled by the US government, or the UK
> government. University IT departments are not immune to such requests for
> data dumps either. And don't think you'll get confirmation that it's going
> on.
>

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Jim Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> All three emails responding to Adrian's so far were handled by Google, for
>> what it's worth.
>>
>> I take Adrian's stance to be a statement, rather than a personal solution
>> to the problem.  It would be nice to have solutions, but sometimes the best
>> we can do is make a statement.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On Jun 13, 2013, at 8:08 PM, David Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Has fastmail made some statement about its refusal to cooperate with such
>> data collection or has it just not been mentioned because it's not a big
>> player? In any case, most international Internet traffic is closely
>> monitored by the US government as well, it would seem. So while some of your
>> user metadata may be safer in fastmail, the contents of your email messages
>> are probably just as accessible to the same folks, for whatever it's worth.
>> And with this email they now know what fastmail address to correlate with
>> your Google account.
>>
>> Just sayin... :)
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Jim Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1
>>>

>>> On Jun 11, 2013, at 4:28 PM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sakaiers,
>>>
>>> Just a quick note to say that I'm using a new email address,
>>> [hidden email], in addition to my Lancaster one. I'm closing all my
>>> Google related accounts due to their alleged pimping of user data to the US
>>> government.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian.