Re: [DG: User Experience] OAE: New Features capture system

Clay Fenlason Clay Fenlason

Re: [DG: User Experience] OAE: New Features capture system

Replying on-list, as I think this is part of the wider discussion.

Idea Informer itself seems designed to do a fair bit of
crowd-filtering, such that the whole thing seems like it would be more
effective with a higher volume of users. Letting our users at it
directly would also have fringe benefits: it's a reminder that the
ideas compete in a marketplace, they'll do better when expressed in a
way that other people can agree with, and everybody's got one.

There would also be additional massaging before things got turned into
actual work, so a moderation gateway ahead of the idea collection
feels like it would be too much work up front. Easier I think to let
it run and skim off the top.

~Clay

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:23 AM, Calvert, Dawn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nico recently sent out a notice about how he would like to capture OAE new feature requests from the pilot institutions – content pasted below
>

> Has created a place where our pilot users can submit ideas for improvements and new features. This allows people to submit ideas and vote on existing ideas. This should make it easier for design to get a better idea of what the most critical issues are.
>
> It's not the best or the prettiest system, but it is free and it is very easy to get the data back out if we have to, so I think it's worth a try.
>

> http://sakaioae.idea.informer.com/
>

> Question:
>
> -    How are pilot institutions planning on using this? Have end users directly submit feature requests to the ‘idea former’ or have some sort of institutional moderation in place before submission?
>

> Regards,
>
> Dawn Calvert
>

> Manager, Systems Development
> Division of Learning and Teaching Services (LTS)
>
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Phone: +61 (0)2 6338 4748
> http://www.csu.edu.au/division/lts/
>

> |   ALBURY-WODONGA   |   BATHURST   |   CANBERRA   |   DUBBO   |   GOULBURN   |   ONTARIO   |   ORANGE    |   SYDNEY   |   WAGGA WAGGA   |
>
> Give Generously - Support Young Australians
> You can help young Australians to go to University and succeed in their studies by giving generously to the Charles Sturt University Foundation. To find out more or to make a donation go to the Foundation web site. Australian donations are tax deductible.
> ________________________________
> LEGAL NOTICE
> This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University (CSU) does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with CSU may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at CSU. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of CSU.
>
> Charles Sturt University in Australia The Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Numbers: 00005F (NSW), 01947G (VIC), 02960B (ACT)).
> Charles Sturt University in Ontario 860 Harrington Court, Burlington Ontario Canada L7N 3N4 Registration: www.peqab.ca
>
> Consider the environment before printing this email.
Lynn E. Ward Lynn E. Ward

Re: [DG: User Experience] OAE: New Features capture system

I like the idea of idea informer, but I'm wondering how effective it will
be when hundreds or thousands of suggestions are added. There's no means
to categorize, filter, and cluster related ideas.  Will users have the
patience to read through and vote on an endless list of suggestions?  I
guess time will tell.

Lynn

==========================

Lynn Ward, Principal Systems Analyst, Academic and Faculty Services
University Information Technology Services <http://uits.iu.edu/>
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
Information Technology and Communications Complex (IT 225D)
535 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202
Phone: 317-278-5713  E-mail: [hidden email]

On 9/1/11 6:35 AM, "Clay Fenlason" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and
>defects before opening. Charles Sturt University (CSU) does not accept
>liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this
>email transmission. Email communications with CSU may be subject to
>automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of
>a legitimate email before it is read at CSU. The views expressed in this
>email are not necessarily those of CSU.
>
> Charles Sturt University in Australia The Chancellery, Panorama Avenue,
>Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider
>Numbers: 00005F (NSW), 01947G (VIC), 02960B (ACT)).
> Charles Sturt University in Ontario 860 Harrington Court, Burlington
>Ontario Canada L7N 3N4 Registration: www.peqab.ca
>
> Consider the environment before printing this email.
Nicolaas Matthijs Nicolaas Matthijs

Re: [DG: User Experience] OAE: New Features capture system

Hi Lynn,

I would think that having a large number of feature requests
will be an issue no matter what system we're using. When
trying to enter a request into idea informer, it will automatically
show you all other requests that look similar to yours, encouraging
you to vote on one of those instead of entering your own. I feel
like it will be more common for users to want to submit a particular
idea they have rather than going through all existing ideas and
voting on all of the things they want.

Again, I'm not trying to push for the use of idea informer. If we
find anything else that does a better a job or find a way in which
we can make JIRA behave more like this, I'd be more than happy
to move the ideas out of the current system. The real point for this
is to offer end users a way to suggest improvements, have the
most important surfaced through voting and do this as a community
rather than individual institutions.

Hope that helps,
Nicolaas