Re: Question about Sakai -> Registrar integration

Amber D. Evans Amber D. Evans

Re: Question about Sakai -> Registrar integration

Hi folks,

Sorry about the likely inappropriateness of this cross-posting, but I knew you would know where to send me if there was another listserv better suited for the below question.

I'm with Methodist College of Nursing and we're running Sakai 2.8.1 with Gradebook (not Gradebook 2).  We're using CAMS (comprehensive academic management system from Three Rivers Systems) that stores and reports our official Midterm and Final Grades among other things.  We are trying to determine the various ways a connection can be setup between the Sakai Gradebook and CAMS so that when faculty have their grades ready in Sakai, those grades can be easily moved/ported/sent/etc. into our CAMS.

We know UC Davis has a away for grades to automatically port over.  I cannot remember if Virginia Tech has an automated process or not.

Can you please answer the below so we can make an educated decision?  You can reply to the listserv or to me privately. Any answers you give will be most helpful and appreciated!
  1. What is the solution or process at your school for sending grades from Sakai to your Registrar?
  2. Is it:
    1. an automated schedule (e.g., Oct. 14th, letter grades are automatically sent over to your Registrar?) or
    2. semi-manual (faculty press a button in one system or another to transfer the grades over), or
    3. manual (faculty download an export from the gradebook and then import that into the other system OR they type the grades in by hand).
  3. For any of the above options, did it require in-house programming or 3rd party programming solutions?
    1. If yes, who did you use?
  4. What is the pros/cons of your current setup?
Thank you!

Sincerely,
Amber D. Evans

Ph.D. Candidate, Instructional Design and Technology, Virginia Tech
Coordinator of Continuing Education & Informatics Instructor, Methodist College of Nursing
10+ years experience in Higher Education, Training, CMS/LMS, & Professional Development
= = =
[hidden email]  |  http://amsdiane.blogspot.com/  |  http://www.linkedin.com/in/adevans  |  Text "amsdiane" to 50500
= = =
"Non scholae sed vitae discimus"  ("We learn not for school but for life")  -Seneca

Mathieu Plourde Mathieu Plourde

Re: Question about Sakai -> Registrar integration

Hi Amber,

1. Our faculty will login to our webforms service where they will match rosters in Sakai with official rosters in our SIS system.
2. We use a semi-manual system, where faculty elect to use the process or not. They can still record their grades manually in our SIS.
3. Everything was developed in-house. Final grades will come from Gradebook 2.
4. Not sure yet, we're piloting this semester.

Mathieu
Mathieu Plourde, MBA
Project Leader, LMS/Educational Technologist
IT Client Support & Services
[hidden email]
Office: 302-831-4060
IT Support Center: http://www.udel.edu/help