Re: [WG: Accessibility] FW: Sakai is being recognized as "taking accessibility seriously" on the WebAIM e-mail list

Eli Cochran-2 Eli Cochran-2

Re: [WG: Accessibility] FW: Sakai is being recognized as "taking accessibility seriously" on the WebAIM e-mail list

Brian,
Thanks for sharing that. I'm spreading a little wider.

- Eli

On Dec 9, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Richwine, Brian L wrote:

> Mary found this encouraging take on the Sakai Community on a WebAIM e-mail list:

. . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .                     .

Eli Cochran
manager of user experience design
user interaction developer
Educational Technology Services, UC Berkeley

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
    - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

xolotl xolotl

Re: [WG: Accessibility] FW: Sakai is being recognized as "taking accessibility seriously" on the WebAIM e-mail list

Brian/Mary:

I agree with Eli: thanks for sharing!

My takeaway from this is that whatever Sakai's actual accessibility,
our approach to accessibility is correct: to be open and thorough.
Just putting a stamp on software certifying a complex characteristic
like accessibility is not the same thing as having an ongoing, open
and deep engagement with it.

- Nate

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Eli Cochran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brian,
> Thanks for sharing that. I'm spreading a little wider.
>
> - Eli
>
> On Dec 9, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Richwine, Brian L wrote:
>
>> Mary found this encouraging take on the Sakai Community on a WebAIM e-mail list:

Michael S Elledge Michael S Elledge

Re: [WG: Accessibility] FW: Sakai is being recognized as "taking accessibility seriously" on the WebAIM e-mail list

Hi All--

Several LMS products have received certification from NFB, including
Desire2Learn and Blackboard:

http://secure.nfb.org/nfbnva/public/certifiedsites.aspx

It seems like this something Sakai should look into, since not having
certification will put it at a competitive disadvantage; NFB will do a
free review btw.

More information about testing can be found at this address:
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/certification_criteria.asp?SnID=2043227788

Mike

On 12/11/2010 12:25 PM, Nate Angell wrote:

> Brian/Mary:
>
> I agree with Eli: thanks for sharing!
>
> My takeaway from this is that whatever Sakai's actual accessibility,
> our approach to accessibility is correct: to be open and thorough.
> Just putting a stamp on software certifying a complex characteristic
> like accessibility is not the same thing as having an ongoing, open
> and deep engagement with it.
>
> - Nate
>

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Eli Cochran<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Brian,
>> Thanks for sharing that. I'm spreading a little wider.
>>
>> - Eli
>>
>> On Dec 9, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Richwine, Brian L wrote:
>>
>>> Mary found this encouraging take on the Sakai Community on a WebAIM e-mail list:

Richwine, Brian L Richwine, Brian L

Re: [WG: Accessibility] FW: Sakai is being recognized as "taking accessibility seriously" on the WebAIM e-mail list

It is great that Sakai is being recognized as taking accessibility seriously. I've been really inspired by those in the Sakai community who have sought out the accessibility review reports and taken on fixing accessibility issues on their own and by the eagerness of developers to fix problems once they have been identified. In a product as ambitious and as complex as Sakai, some of the accessibility problems can be challenging. It is great that the Sakai community is willing to take them on.

The upcoming revisions to Section 508, the updates to the ADA focusing on web accessibility (Announcement of Proposed Rule Making), and the new ISO standards covering accessibility all seem to indicate that institutions should/will be considering accessibility with heightened and appropriate seriousness in all areas of information technology -- including in choosing an LMS.

The Sakai Accessibility Working group has made significant improvements to the accessibility review process. The use of walkthrough scripts has greatly improved our ability to understand Sakai's capabilities and to find accessibility issues that really will affect Sakai's users. We have focused our energies on getting these practical accessibility issues addressed as well as on pushing hard on getting all of the issues revealed by the technical accessibility protocol testing resolved.

To continue to position Sakai as a learning management system with high levels of accessibility I plan to undertake the following work in the coming weeks. As the 2.8 release draws closer, I will update/overhaul the Sakai "Current Accessibility" pages on the Accessibility Working Group's pages. They need to be more polished, less busy, and straight to the point and yet represent the friendly energy of the Sakai Community. Our Sakai Accessibility statements will transition from Draft to being formally included in the above Sakai Accessibility documentation (Sakai 2.x after the review we are on now, Sakai '3' after the Sakai 3 Q1/Q2 accessibility review we are about to launch). These are the first accessibility reviews we've undertaken since the draft accessibility statements were approved.

The "Current Accessibility" page will be changed to refer to the various flavors and versions of Sakai. This is because Sakai versions linger and so people can see the trail of accessibility improvements. The "Current Accessibility" pages will include two landing pages -- one each for Sakai 2.x and Sakai 3 (or Sakai OAE as it is now being called). These pages will include the Accessibility Statements, Info on the Sakai Working Group, how to report accessibility issues to the group, links to pages detailing Section 508 and WCAG 2.0 conformance, a link to the current accessibility help pages, and links to the appropriate accessibility review splash page. Once the new documentation has been posted, the Sakai Working Group home page will be updated to feature teasers and links to those pages prominently at the top of the page.

The above changes to the Sakai "Current Accessibility" pages should help institutions understand Sakai's true accessibility, and make evident the seriousness with which Sakai takes accessibility issues. Some recent emails have made me realize how this openness of Sakai's Accessibility status, the Sakai development process, and the transparency of the issues we are working on can expose Sakai to criticism. This is unfortunate because it is my belief --confirmed through recent progresses made-- that Sakai accessibility issues are being noted and remedies implemented. We will need to continue taking this work seriously, building on and enhancing the accessibility foundation that has been established to date.

If anyone has any suggestions for, or expectations of, what should be included in the Sakai Accessibility Status documentation, please let the accessibility working group know!

Thanks,
  Brian Richwine