Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Site Cards

Tiffany Stull Tiffany Stull

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Site Cards

Hi Adam,

It looks nice, but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this Sites drawer?  Is it intended to replace the existing My Sites, or would it be in addition to the existing My Sites, and if in addition, where would it go?  Is it to replace Worksite Setup in Home, and ultimately display a lot more than My Sites, with the ability to take actions (delete, restore softly deleted, etc.) on the sites?

If this is a new feature (or, I guess to replace the existing My Sites), I have the following suggestions for improvements:

  • A way for users to manually group project sites (when they have a lot of them and want to keep these in their Sites drawer).  It looks like these cards might be intended for eventual drag-drop organization?
  • A way for any user to set their own "Nickname" or personal title for a site - a student requested this recently and I thought it was a good idea - although site owners can modify the titles, they don't always do this and the site titles often have the roster name.  If a student has a lot of classes in the same discipline (as majors often do), it would be helpful for them to be able to indicate something like CS 101 Lecture, CS 101 Discussion in their site tabs so they can identify their sites regardless of title.  Because the cards are rather large, there would be ample space to add a "Nickname" section.

I find it confusing that the sites are not organized in any logical way (course sites by semester, project sites in their own category).  At minimum, this organization should be maintained.

What is the purpose of the separate area at the top of each card?  Is it just to indicate whether it's a course or project site and display the site icon?  If so, the site title could be included at the top of the card as well and all the tool icons by themselves in the bottom part of the card (making each card smaller).    Also, with respect to the icon, I would not want to encourage users to add site icon URLs because entering a bad URL causes bugs when users try to upload to Resources; see SAK-33705.

Why are the tops of the cards different colors?  Currently, the colors seem random and not helpful to organize or visually identify the sites (some of them also stand out for me more than others, like the bright pink one in between the brown and blue).  I would expect if anything should be colored, 1. the user could specify the colors and 2. the colors would correspond to an organizational principle, like all sites from a particular semester would have the same color.

The other thing I noticed is that the visual indicator of keyboard focus when tabbing around on the page is not clear when focus is on a site title.  It looks like everything on the card (including all the icons at the bottom) are selected.

Tiffany Stull

On 1/27/2018 12:00 PM, Laura Gekeler wrote:
Yes, they should minimally have a visual indicator that they have been favorited. LG

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 5:01 PM Adam Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you mean they should have a star? At the moment the favourites are at the top.

I thought about allowing them to be favourited  on the page but I wasn't sure whether it was worth it.

Adam

Sent from my rather wonderful OnePlus phone

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 9:02 PM +0000, "Laura Gekeler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Should favorites organized in Sites also be reflected visually here?

LG

Laura Gekeler
LMS Administrator
Learning Platforms
Apereo Foundation Board '14-2020
University of Notre Dame

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:36 PM, Adam Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
I knocked up this card-based 'sites drawer' and wondered if anybody had any comments / thoughts. If the sites has a site icon URL then it appears in a circle in the centre of the card.

https://qa2-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/access/content/public/js-eb/courses.html

adam