Reminder: Sakai 3--A proposal and request for input

Michael Korcuska Michael Korcuska

Reminder: Sakai 3--A proposal and request for input

As a reminder, you can download a PDF version of the Sakai 3
whitepaper here:

http://3akai.sakaiproject.org/access/content/group/sakai3/Sakai%203%20Proposal%20v08.pdf

It contains instructions for getting access to the site and voting in
the polls. Around 50 folks have already logged into the Sakai 3 site
on http:3akai.sakaiproject.org. Not everyone's voted in the polls,
though. The polls aren't scientific, of course, but it will help us
understand how well the document, at least, captures the sentiment of
the community. If only 10 people vote, not a good indicator, of
course.  And you can also add open-ended feedback in comments on the
pages there or, of course, on the advocacy list.

Please take a moment to let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Michael

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
> update about these activities. We also have a desire for input on
> the vision and want to invite participation in both the
> conversations and the work. The attached document describes the
> rationale for Sakai 3 and strives to give a sense of the changes in
> user experience and technology it would bring. I encourage everyone
> interested in Sakai's future development to read it.
>
> This is an extremely important time for Sakai, both as a product and
> a community. Personally, I feel that the vision described by Sakai 3
> is compelling and that it is worth a collective effort to move in
> that direction as quickly as practical. But, as you know, the Sakai
> Foundation does not control the direction of the Sakai software. So,
> as always, it is up to the community to determine how quickly we
> head in which direction.  To that end, we would like to initiate a
> community conversation about the idea of Sakai 3 and the timing for
> building/deploying it. While I've irresponsibly cross posted, I'd
> ask that you direct general discussions about Sakai 3 to the
> *advocacy* list. Technical topics, of course, can cross post to
> *sakai-dev*.
>
> I've also built a "Sakai 3 Vision" site on the Sakai 3 experimental
> server (http://3akai.sakaiproject.org).  It contains the same
> content as the attached PDF. It also contains several poll questions
> about Sakai 3. It would be terrific if you could take a minute to
> respond to the poll questions (after reading the content, please!).
> You can find instructions for creating an account and joining the
> Sakai 3 Vision site on page 10 of the PDF. The pages in the Sakai 3
> site are open for comment as well. And, of course, feel free to send
> me an email if you'd like.
>
> Finally, a few of caveats:
> 1. The experimental server for Sakai 3 is a development box.  It
> doesn't represent a final design and there are many bugs and
> unimplemented features. The features and bugs will change on a
> regular basis. And it could be that this email results in more load
> on that server that it is ready for :-). Caveat emptor!
> 2. If a sufficient group decides Sakai 3 should move forward at the
> pace described in the document, we are likely to try to pull
> together a more organized development effort. So stay tuned for more
> information on what that will look like or, better yet, send your
> suggestions to the list.  We want feedback from everyone, though, so
> don't hesitate to tell us what you think regardless of whether you
> think you'll be able to participate in design and development.
> 3. The ideas described in the document is not mine. It represents my
> effort to document the thinking of a group of Sakai community
> members. As the saying goes: Anything you find compelling is theirs,
> any mistakes or lack of clarity are mine.
>
> I hope you like the proposal for a Sakai 3. If you don't like it,
> though, I certainly hope you'll tell us why.

[see attachment: "Sakai 3 Proposal v08.pdf", size: 161202 bytes]

--
Michael Korcuska
Executive Director, Sakai Foundation
[hidden email]
phone: +1 510-931-6559
mobile (US): +1 510-599-2586
mobile (FR): +33 (0)6 31 11 58 97
skype: mkorcuska

Attachments:

Sakai 3 Proposal v08.pdf
https://collab.sakaiproject.org//access/content/attachment/4b266f3a-bb5a-4a81-a03e-99b1b05a57bc/Sakai%203%20Proposal%20v08.pdf

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the DG: Strategy & Advocacy site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
David Haines David Haines

Re: Reminder: Sakai 3--A proposal and request for input

What I don't see in the document is a commitment to supporting open-
ended innovation from users.  The 3akai release will be innovative but
that innovation can come in various forms. It is one thing to lower
the work required to build a Java tool and another to also ensure that
skilled end users are able to use Sakai data and the Sakai portal in
interesting and safe ways.

A clear statement as to whether or not that end user flexibility is an
explicit goal will help guide design decisions.

I suspect my bias is clear :-)

- Dave

David Haines
CTools Developer
Digital Media Commons
University of Michigan
[hidden email]

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the DG: Strategy & Advocacy site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
John Norman John Norman

Re: Reminder: Sakai 3--A proposal and request for input

Well if you mean we want end user flexibility to the point where we
can say to a bunch of students; here are the data apis, have at it and
build an interface that suits you - then that is one of my goals for
K2. The entity broker documents the direct interface quite nicely
already.

John

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the DG: Strategy & Advocacy site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
David Haines David Haines

Re: Reminder: Sakai 3--A proposal and request for input

In regards to data I'm suggesting that not only should it be possible
to make data available in a straightforward way but that it is
necessary for core Sakai tools to do so.  That makes all the core data
available in unexpected ways.  This is not a comment about the design
of K2 but the design of the tools that will use the kernel.

- Dave

David Haines
CTools Developer
Digital Media Commons
University of Michigan
[hidden email]

----------------------
Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: Reminder: Sakai 3--A proposal and request for input

On Dec 18, 2008, at 5:25 AM, Michael Korcuska wrote:

> As a reminder, you can download a PDF version of the Sakai 3
> whitepaper here:
>
> http://3akai.sakaiproject.org/access/content/group/sakai3/Sakai%203%20Proposal%20v08.pdf

I just posted my comments on Sakai 3 on my blog.  It is six pages long
- you can see the complete post here:

http://www.dr-chuck.com/csev-blog/000578.html

This is the first page or so:
I have been chained to a keyboard for most of December so I could
finish the first draft of my AppEngine book before the next semester
starts. So I left this on the back burner for a while. But now I am
catching up.

I really like the Sakai 3 Proposal. The document does a good job of
pointing out weaknesses in the current architecture and approach and
lays out a good plan for addressing those weaknesses building out on
the Kernel 1, Kernel 2, and the UX work to produce Sakai 3.

I also am really impressed as I played with the prototype server. The
widget environment was quite nice and the new UX work is very solid -
I particularly like the blend of the old and the new. I really liked
how the "old tools" were given the entire width of the screen - this
is something that I tried to introduce into 2.x but there was no
interest. I think the future of LMS UI is to have the LMS take less
and less of the screen when the students are doing their learning. We
are at a point where folks *know* how to use an LMS so we don't need
to waste 1/3 of the pixels with the LMS UI drawing attention to itself
and its features.

Just one funny example of how cool the UI is: I was not happy with the
tool menu on the right side of the screen - I figured moving the menu
from left to right was look/feel fluff that reduced usability - after
using it for a while and grumping to myself - I just decided to see if
I could drag it to the right - and of course I could!. I also was a
bit concerned because the front page had a social gadget on it - while
I like social features - it seemed that using 20% of the main
dashboard for the social bits was too much - then I realized that this
was just a sample - and poof! The social gadget was gone. Flexibility
is *sooo nice*.

Technically - I love the switch to Jackrabbit as Content. I love
rethinking Authorization influenced by Bodington. I love the notion
that groups are a first class citizen and not part of a site. Sites
are cool and need to be retained - but not as the container for
everything else. It is better to think of pages and nodes and
"nexuses" and let we teachers add site-semantics to those places we
conceive as a site. Hierarchy from the get go is a big win.

The Sakai 3 Vision document clearly shows that it is based on a
careful analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of Sakai 2. It is not
just complaining about the shortcomings of Sakai 2 - it is providing
the solutions to those shortcomings.

So overall I love it and am very confident that it will be successful
in time. As one of the folks who conceived and executed Sakai 2 - and
then had to live with the consequences of early decisions for a long
time - I do have a few comments and suggestions to the 3akai team in
terms of approach.

Continued in http://www.dr-chuck.com/csev-blog/000578.html

/Chuck

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the DG: Strategy & Advocacy site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Luke Fernandez Luke Fernandez

Re: Reminder: Sakai 3--A proposal and request for input

First, like everyone else who has responded to this proposal, we (at
Weber State) see a ton of good things in the doc.  Just to highlight
two (and there are many more) it's nice to see us moving toward more
of an SOA approach that will hopefully allow non-J2EE programmers to
contribute more actively to Sakai development.  To boot, working
toward a more permeable technology  that will allow learning to take
place outside the walls of the classroom is an interest that we share.
 We've expressed similar interests in socializing intellectual spaces
in our eportfolio pilot summary reports
(http://www.epsilen.com/MyPortal/Public/ShowCase.aspx?prefix=lfernandez&systemName=PerPublic_Showcase
).  And anyone who is engaged by Stuart Lee's article "The Gates Are
Shut: Technical and Cultural Barriers to Open Education", or the open
teaching that people like David Wiley are pioneering are likely to be
interested in this as well.  Of topical interest; I just got back from
attending two panels on digital teaching/learning at the American
Historical Association meetings and while the panelists were doing
innovative things, very little (if any of it) was being done within
the confines of a traditional LMS/CMS .  So it would be folly not to
be pursuing and take part in reimagining the LMS/CMS.

All this said, for better or for worse, here at Weber our ability to
adopt Sakai is contingent on closing the persistent feature gap that
is perceived to exist between Sakai and Blackboard (a short off the
cuff list of these features include: hierarchy, content
authoring-sequencing tools, multi-institutional support, formula tools
in the gradebook, robust tools that track student activity, and a
traditional threaded discussion tool). In paragraph three of the 3G
proposal Sakai aspires to be something more or something different
than Blackboard.  Being different is good for all the reasons
mentioned in the proposal. And even though 3G is striving to be
different many of the initiatives in 3G will close the BB-Sakai
feature gap even more. Still, at our school the ultimate hope is to
adopt Sakai as a system that replaces BB rather than as something that
complements it ( at our school it's still only being adopted in the
latter fashion).  But in order to drive the former type of adoption
it's in Weber's interest, at least in the short term, for Sakai to
include BB in the pantheon of technologies that Sakai takes
inspiration from.  If we don't we may be ignoring feature gaps that
still need to be bridged.  This is not to say that we should burden
the core schools who are driving the 3G initiative with these
additional imperatives.  But I wonder whether this approach is worth
considering (perhaps by SEPP members who also run big BB
installations) and whether there are parallel coordination efforts or
vision statements to what is in 3G that could help us move more
directly to this goal.

Cheers,

Luke

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM, csev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> time. As one of the folks who conceived and executed Sakai 2 - and then had
> to live with the consequences of early decisions for a long time - I do have
> a few comments and suggestions to the 3akai team in terms of approach.
>
> Continued in http://www.dr-chuck.com/csev-blog/000578.html
>
> /Chuck
>
> ________________________________
> This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab
> (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the DG: Strategy & Advocacy
> site.
> You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.

This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the DG: Strategy & Advocacy site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
donnaj8887 donnaj8887

Re: Reminder: Sakai 3--A proposal and request for input

Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.

http://moviesonlinefree.biz