UX Daily Working Sessions - Update

Nathan Pearson Nathan Pearson

UX Daily Working Sessions - Update

Hi All,

Today's call consisted of Nico, Clay, and myself discussing site level
details.  We talked a bit about the sidebar, navigation concepts, templates,
and more.  I'm going to work on producing a few wire-frames to aid
tomorrow's discussion.  The screens will focus on adding a page to a site
and maybe some page authoring ideas.  I think so far this approach is
helpful as it's clear that we have much to discuss.

Tomorrow and generally moving forward, the working session will begin at 9am
PST.  I hope to see more of our west coast friends be able to attend.

Cheers,
Nathan

--
Nathan Pearson | UX Lead | Sakai Foundation

E. [hidden email]
M. 602.418.5092
Y. npearson99 (Yahoo)
S. npearson99 (Skype)

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kfqdgv5itkg1kl08050cu45pb8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Phoenix

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Clay Fenlason Clay Fenlason

Re: UX Daily Working Sessions - Update

Some other notes on what I think were the key points of conversation
today.  Look forward to having more people tomorrow, but here's what I
can offer to help keep folks up to speed with the story thus far, and
also provide an opportunity to react.

We were mainly reviewing the structures suggested by these early
wireframes showing the site context for a site maintainer:
* http://snipurl.com/a1sb4
* http://snipurl.com/a1sxt

The caveat is that these are meant to be pivots of discussion for a
conceptual framework, and not finished designs.  Some notes on the
range of the discussion as I remember it, in no particular order:

- the toolbar up top (see the first wireframe) seemed good to the
three of us, as a familiar feature and a way to "carry around" access
to things you're going to want no matter where you are in the system.
A secondary motivation of those four categories at the upper left is
to orient the user to the key elements or concepts of the system: to
begin to suggest in a coarse-grained way what Sakai is about.  In that
guise some other labels were considered, but they can be revised as
matters proceed. When you click on any of those four a screen would
slide down with more particular options (as in the second wireframe).

At the upper right are concepts or elements particular to the
individual, and we again played around with some variations, but
didn't feel the need to get bogged down in those details.  Social
networking things might go there, as well as access to a personal
dashboard (or "My Sakai" if you don't like the dashboard term).

- it was felt that our approach needed to focus on simple building
blocks, and a recognition that we wouldn't have every sophisticated
measure that might be desired worked out for the first release
candidate.  The important thing would be to get clear about the basics
and leave room for iterative refinement, and not leap ahead to a
decision that would be hard to back away from later.

- The links at the upper left of the site page (but below the Site
Title) would be for page management, and those at the upper right for
site management.  Again, some of those links may change with time, but
current placeholders flesh out the ideas.  We did try to brainstorm a
preliminary list of what some of the "Page Options" would be, and they
were things like revision history, export, move, what tabbed options
showed up at the bottom of the page, etc.  A general site participant
might not see any of these links.

- the lefthand frame with navigation, etc. we're calling the
"sidebar."  The crucial thing to understand about the sidebar is that
it would be editable as a distinct document, not unlike the page
itself.  The screenshot shows some page and tool navigation within the
sidebar, but you might imagine other widgets embedded in there, like
tags, recently edited pages, etc.

It was the sidebar that proved to be the most controversial and
problematic portion of our discussion.  There was the feeling from
both Nico and I that the "Site Tools" were a problem where they were,
though we felt this way for slightly different reasons.  There was a
lot of back and forth about how pages and tools might get confused,
whether "tools" should show up elsewhere on the screen by default,
whether the 'tool page' itself was even helpful as a notion or an
unnecessary concept, and how to accommodate competing demands from
users (e.g. in our experience instructors love to be able to customize
their tool menu, but students hate it because of the lack of
consistency).  We didn't come to a firm consensus among even just we
three in every particular, but enough was said and suggested to make
us think we had a workable beginning, and Nathan could start to flesh
out some of the finer-grained design for other screens that might
proceed from these.

As always, I'm sure there are things I'm overlooking, and we're not
making decisions so much as helping Nathan sharpen his approach, so
more feedback and discussion is welcome.

~Clay

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Nathan Pearson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Today's call consisted of Nico, Clay, and myself discussing site level
> details.  We talked a bit about the sidebar, navigation concepts, templates,
> and more.  I'm going to work on producing a few wire-frames to aid
> tomorrow's discussion.  The screens will focus on adding a page to a site
> and maybe some page authoring ideas.  I think so far this approach is
> helpful as it's clear that we have much to discuss.
>
> Tomorrow and generally moving forward, the working session will begin at 9am
> PST.  I hope to see more of our west coast friends be able to attend.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> --
> Nathan Pearson | UX Lead | Sakai Foundation
>
> E. [hidden email]
> M. 602.418.5092
> Y. npearson99 (Yahoo)
> S. npearson99 (Skype)
>
> http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kfqdgv5itkg1kl08050cu45pb8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Phoenix
>
> ________________________________
> This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab
> (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
> You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.

--
Clay Fenlason
Director, Educational Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology
(404) 385-6644
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Nathan Pearson Nathan Pearson

Re: UX Daily Working Sessions - Update

Thanks for the summary Clay.  I have nothing to add to this.