UX working session update

Nathan Pearson Nathan Pearson

UX working session update

Today we reviewed a few sketches.  Daphne and Judy took photos of a
white-board session and shared those with us.  Their sketches illustrated a
basic flow showing how one might start at a viewable page, edit that page,
add a vignette, and return to a viewable page.  From there, the vignette
would be active and available for use on the page.  Also, a link would
appear that would give users access to an aggregate view page.

As a side note, I think the aggregate view terminology may be somewhat what
limiting.  Certainly there is an aggregation of discussion topics in a
discussion forum, and there is an aggregation of events in a calendar, but
the term "aggregate view" is a bit misleading in that it suggest purely a
collection, rather than what the UI should probably be, which is a full tool
UI.  In other words, a complete discussion forum or a complete calendar or
file browser is what's needed.

I prepared a similar flow (very high level - so please don't read too much
into them):

http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/1.png
http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/2.png
http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/3.png
http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/4.png
http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/5.png
http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/6.png

As we reviewed these, the question of "how many" vignettes would the UI
system need to manage?  Gary Thompson suggested we try to put a list
together.  Daphne has started one on confluence here:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/UX/Potential+Vignette+Use+Cases

I put a bit of thought into a possible list, and frankly, I see the
potential for LOTS of vignettes --so I'm wondering if we should be imagining
all of them now, or if we should just design the vignette browser to handle
and infinite number of vignettes, and narrow our list to 3 or 4 vignettes
that we know we'll want to tackle for this release.  Either way, I list of
vignette ideas might be fun and certainly couldn't hurt.

Cheers,
Nathan

--
Nathan Pearson | UX Lead | Sakai Foundation

E. [hidden email]
M. 602.418.5092
Y. npearson99 (Yahoo)
S. npearson99 (Skype)

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kfqdgv5itkg1kl08050cu45pb8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Phoenix

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Daphne Ogle Daphne Ogle

Re: UX working session update

Some comments below...

On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Nathan Pearson wrote:

> Today we reviewed a few sketches.  Daphne and Judy took photos of a
> white-board session and shared those with us.  Their sketches
> illustrated a basic flow showing how one might start at a viewable
> page, edit that page, add a vignette, and return to a viewable
> page.  From there, the vignette would be active and available for
> use on the page.  Also, a link would appear that would give users
> access to an aggregate view page.
Much less polished that Nathan's but here's the whiteboarding that
Judy and I did:  http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Scenario+-++Edit+page+in+3akai

> As a side note, I think the aggregate view terminology may be
> somewhat what limiting.  Certainly there is an aggregation of
> discussion topics in a discussion forum, and there is an aggregation
> of events in a calendar, but the term "aggregate view" is a bit
> misleading in that it suggest purely a collection, rather than what
> the UI should probably be, which is a full tool UI.  In other words,
> a complete discussion forum or a complete calendar or file browser
> is what's needed.
>
> I prepared a similar flow (very high level - so please don't read
> too much into them):
>
> http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/1.png
> http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/2.png
> http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/3.png
> http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/4.png
> http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/5.png
> http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/6.png
>
> As we reviewed these, the question of "how many" vignettes would the
> UI system need to manage?  Gary Thompson suggested we try to put a
> list together.  Daphne has started one on confluence here:
>
> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/UX/Potential+Vignette+Use+Cases
>
> I put a bit of thought into a possible list, and frankly, I see the
> potential for LOTS of vignettes --so I'm wondering if we should be
> imagining all of them now, or if we should just design the vignette
> browser to handle and infinite number of vignettes, and narrow our
> list to 3 or 4 vignettes that we know we'll want to tackle for this
> release.  Either way, I list of vignette ideas might be fun and
> certainly couldn't hurt.
Without spending a ton of time of this I think it would be useful to
list out some of the hundreds of possibilities you've been thinking
about -- if for no other reason to help us all get on the same page.
Personally, when I think of the list it is fairly limited.  I don't
think we need to understand each of them at deep level at this point
but knowing whether there are hundreds or dozens would help us
understand the best way to help users discover, find, access, learn
about, etc.  the vignettes.  Could we add the extremely minimal list
we created today?  I find it extremely useful and a good edge case
check to think about the specific context and scenario in which a
particular kind of vignette would be added to page.

Happy Friday all!

-Daphne

> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> --
> Nathan Pearson | UX Lead | Sakai Foundation
>
> E. [hidden email]
> M. 602.418.5092
> Y. npearson99 (Yahoo)
> S. npearson99 (Skype)
>
> http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kfqdgv5itkg1kl08050cu45pb8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Phoenix
>

> This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal
> ) from the WG: Authoring site.
> You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace >
> Preferences.

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
University of California, Berkeley
Educational Technology Services
[hidden email]
cell (510)847-0308

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Nathan Pearson Nathan Pearson

Re: UX working session update

So just to give an example of the type of vignettes I had in mind...

Incoming links -- one might want a gizmo on the page that lists all the
incoming links.
Popular pages -- this would be nice in a dashboard layout
Related sites -- would certainly help build a research network
Slideshow or photo album -- this could either pull from attachments on the
page or from the resources tool
Etc, etc.

The sky is the limit when it comes to what we could dream up with this
stuff.  In fact -- and maybe this will help shed more light on the issue --
these things are widgets (referring to the portable nature of the
technology), so it's entirely possible that we may offer "Google's" widgets
in Sakai.

That's why after thinking about it, it just seems a big list, while good to
get ye'ol creative juices flowing, may not help us in the short-run.  I
think we might be better off assuming the vignette browser should accomodate
any number of items, and design it from there.  But in terms of which
vignettes we want to tackle now, I think there has been some discussion of
the following:

Discussion topics
Files (something to pull or display files)
Survey questions (if we have time)

I get the feeling I'm missing one or two items -- can someone confirm?

Anyway, does all this make sense?

Nathan

Clay Fenlason Clay Fenlason

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Nathan Pearson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So just to give an example of the type of vignettes I had in mind...
>
> Incoming links -- one might want a gizmo on the page that lists all the
> incoming links.
> Popular pages -- this would be nice in a dashboard layout
> Related sites -- would certainly help build a research network

This set seems to be the kind of thing that would go naturally into
the "sidebar," and less likely to be added to a regular page.  That
may not be what you have in mind, but it at least suggests to me a
possibility: one way to help keep the options from being overwhelming
might be to prioritize vignettes by context.  Sidebar vs. page might
be one way; by site or page template another.  But I think it's true
that we need to plan for a potentially large number.

It might in fact lead to some reinforcement of best practice if
vignettes might be presented with some sort of ranking - by both
frequency of use and rating, like Firefox add-ons.  And ideally
personal favorites as well.

> I think there has been some discussion of
> the following:
>
> Discussion topics
> Files (something to pull or display files)
> Survey questions (if we have time)
>
> I get the feeling I'm missing one or two items -- can someone confirm?

An initial conversation btw Nico and myself led us to:

- Files
- Discussion topics
- Assignments
- Blog entries

~Clay
----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Michael Korcuska Michael Korcuska

Re: UX working session update

I think the Authoring group came up with a list that should be helpful
(and, if indeed these are the same things you've been calling
vignettes, the pages should be combined).

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/kQF1Ag

On Jan 17, 2009, at 02:06, Daphne Ogle wrote:

>> As we reviewed these, the question of "how many" vignettes would
>> the UI system need to manage?  Gary Thompson suggested we try to
>> put a list together.  Daphne has started one on confluence here:
>>
>> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/UX/Potential+Vignette+Use+Cases
>>
>> I put a bit of thought into a possible list, and frankly, I see the
>> potential for LOTS of vignettes --so I'm wondering if we should be
>> imagining all of them now, or if we should just design the vignette
>> browser to handle and infinite number of vignettes, and narrow our
>> list to 3 or 4 vignettes that we know we'll want to tackle for this
>> release.  Either way, I list of vignette ideas might be fun and
>> certainly couldn't hurt.
> Without spending a ton of time of this I think it would be useful to
> list out some of the hundreds of possibilities you've been thinking
> about -- if for no other reason to help us all get on the same
> page.  Personally, when I think of the list it is fairly limited.  I
> don't think we need to understand each of them at deep level at this
> point but knowing whether there are hundreds or dozens would help us
> understand the best way to help users discover, find, access, learn
> about, etc.  the vignettes.  Could we add the extremely minimal list
> we created today?  I find it extremely useful and a good edge case
> check to think about the specific context and scenario in which a
> particular kind of vignette would be added to page.

--
Michael Korcuska
Executive Director, Sakai Foundation
[hidden email]
phone: +1 510-931-6559
mobile (US): +1 510-599-2586
mobile (FR): +33 (0)6 31 11 58 97
skype: mkorcuska

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Nathan Pearson Nathan Pearson

Re: UX working session update

Not sure why you think that.  I can easily see these things living in the
body of a page -- as well as a side bar (maybe that's why to me it makes
sense that the side bar uses the page architecture).

As for the "What an entity should look like?" page (thanks for sharing that
Michael), why is syllabus an entity?  Would syllabus be needed anymore as
tool in general?

Nathan

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Clay Fenlason
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Nathan Pearson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > So just to give an example of the type of vignettes I had in mind...
> >
> > Incoming links -- one might want a gizmo on the page that lists all the
> > incoming links.
> > Popular pages -- this would be nice in a dashboard layout
> > Related sites -- would certainly help build a research network
>
> This set seems to be the kind of thing that would go naturally into
> the "sidebar," and less likely to be added to a regular page. That
> may not be what you have in mind, but it at least suggests to me a
> possibility: one way to help keep the options from being overwhelming
> might be to prioritize vignettes by context. Sidebar vs. page might
> be one way; by site or page template another. But I think it's true
> that we need to plan for a potentially large number.
>
> It might in fact lead to some reinforcement of best practice if
> vignettes might be presented with some sort of ranking - by both
> frequency of use and rating, like Firefox add-ons. And ideally
> personal favorites as well.
>
> > I think there has been some discussion of
> > the following:
> >
> > Discussion topics
> > Files (something to pull or display files)
> > Survey questions (if we have time)
> >
> > I get the feeling I'm missing one or two items -- can someone confirm?
>
> An initial conversation btw Nico and myself led us to:
>
> - Files
> - Discussion topics
> - Assignments
> - Blog entries
>
> ~Clay
> ------------------------------
>
> This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (
> https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
> You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.

--
Nathan Pearson | UX Lead | Sakai Foundation

E. [hidden email]
M. 602.418.5092
Y. npearson99 (Yahoo)
S. npearson99 (Skype)

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kfqdgv5itkg1kl08050cu45pb8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Phoenix

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Clay Fenlason Clay Fenlason

Re: UX working session update

Let me again underscore the larger point: certain kinds of vignettes
will in all likelihood tend to be a better fit (or simply preferred)
for the sidebar, particular examples aside.

It was my assumption that the sidebar would be the same for all pages
in a site.  Perhaps I got that wrong.  If I did, I would have new
questions about what the sidebar was for.  If I didn't, it would seem
to follow that vignettes which spoke more clearly to site-wide
interests would often tend to find a natural home in the sidebar
rather than any particular page.

~Clay

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Nathan Pearson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure why you think that.  I can easily see these things living in the
> body of a page -- as well as a side bar (maybe that's why to me it makes
> sense that the side bar uses the page architecture).
>
> As for the "What an entity should look like?" page (thanks for sharing that
> Michael), why is syllabus an entity?  Would syllabus be needed anymore as
> tool in general?
>
> Nathan
>

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Clay Fenlason <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Nathan Pearson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > So just to give an example of the type of vignettes I had in mind...
>> >
>> > Incoming links -- one might want a gizmo on the page that lists all the
>> > incoming links.
>> > Popular pages -- this would be nice in a dashboard layout
>> > Related sites -- would certainly help build a research network
>>
>> This set seems to be the kind of thing that would go naturally into
>> the "sidebar," and less likely to be added to a regular page. That
>> may not be what you have in mind, but it at least suggests to me a
>> possibility: one way to help keep the options from being overwhelming
>> might be to prioritize vignettes by context. Sidebar vs. page might
>> be one way; by site or page template another. But I think it's true
>> that we need to plan for a potentially large number.
>>
>> It might in fact lead to some reinforcement of best practice if
>> vignettes might be presented with some sort of ranking - by both
>> frequency of use and rating, like Firefox add-ons. And ideally
>> personal favorites as well.
>>
>> > I think there has been some discussion of
>> > the following:
>> >
>> > Discussion topics
>> > Files (something to pull or display files)
>> > Survey questions (if we have time)
>> >
>> > I get the feeling I'm missing one or two items -- can someone confirm?
>>
>> An initial conversation btw Nico and myself led us to:
>>
>> - Files
>> - Discussion topics
>> - Assignments
>> - Blog entries
>>
>> ~Clay
>> ________________________________
>> This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab
>> (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
>> You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace >
>> Preferences.
>

> --
> Nathan Pearson | UX Lead | Sakai Foundation
>
> E. [hidden email]
> M. 602.418.5092
> Y. npearson99 (Yahoo)
> S. npearson99 (Skype)
>
> http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kfqdgv5itkg1kl08050cu45pb8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Phoenix

--
Clay Fenlason
Director, Educational Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology
(404) 385-6644
----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Nathan Pearson Nathan Pearson

Re: UX working session update

Yes, vignettes are entities from a UX point of view.  Entities and
entification seems to describe something similar to what widgets describe:
portability.  For example, not only is the stuff on a page an entity, but I
can see a whole page being an entity as well.  Vignettes refer only to the
stuff on that page -- not the page itself.  Does that make any sense?

I'd like to hear some thoughts on a situation I've come across in my
thinking.  I've recently been talking about vignettes as well as their
counterpart: the aggregated view.   The aggregated view is like a full-tool
view.  I've noticed in my thinking that if a user, for whatever reason,
decided to start a discussion (for example) in the full-tool view, there
would be some rules to follow.  For one thing, the post would need to be put
into some category.  The post would also need a title and a body.  Once
submitted, it would sit there until someone would come along and reply to
it.  That's how a discussion thread gets started.

From this scenario, the same user (or perhaps a different one), can pull
that discussion thread into a content page via a vignette during page
composition.  The vignette would presumably enable functionality to support
inline threaded discussion on that page -- all of which would be pushed back
to the aggregated view.  So there's a natural data relationship between the
vignette and the aggregated view.

Make sense?

But what if the user decided to add a "new" discussion topic on a page while
composing it?  I don't think we want to force him/her to first go to the
aggregated view, add a new post, then return to the page composition view.
That would be ugly -- and frankly, is what we're trying to get away from!
But that does imply that some of the rules in the aggregated view (or tool
view) would apply to the inline page composition view.  In other words, the
user would need to add at least a title and a body to the initial post.
Maybe the page title would act as the discussion category.  Those elements
would then be pulled into the aggregated tool view.

This is a VERY crude wire-frame to illustrate the point:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/download/attachments/47580296/5.png

Any thoughts on this situation?

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Nathan Pearson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
>
> E. [hidden email]
> M. 602.418.5092
> Y. npearson99 (Yahoo)
> S. npearson99 (Skype)
>

> http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kfqdgv5itkg1kl08050cu45pb8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Phoenix

--
Nathan Pearson | UX Lead | Sakai Foundation

E. [hidden email]
M. 602.418.5092
Y. npearson99 (Yahoo)
S. npearson99 (Skype)

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kfqdgv5itkg1kl08050cu45pb8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Phoenix

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.

Yes, it's true.  The sidebar would be persistent throughout the site.  And
yes, some vignettes would make a better fit for the sidebar.  I'm just
saying that those particular ones don't necessarily need to be limited to
only the sidebar.

I think we're getting more detailed than I intended when I presented that
off-the-cuff list.  My point at that time was simply that the potential
number of vignettes is not necessarily finite.

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Clay Fenlason <[hidden email]
> [...]

> ------------------------------
>
> This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (
> https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the DG: User Experience
> site.
> You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.

--
Nathan Pearson | UX Lead | Sakai Foundation

E. [hidden email]
M. 602.418.5092
Y. npearson99 (Yahoo)
S. npearson99 (Skype)

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kfqdgv5itkg1kl08050cu45pb8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Phoenix

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.

.. and my point is that we have ways of introducing manageable
approaches to infinite numbers.  I'm not talking about particulars so
much as I'm trying to suggest ways of dealing with large numbers of
them in certain contexts.

knoop knoop

RE: UX working session update

Another likely theme for ranking in the timeline-driven world of courses would be to present vignettes that are temporally relevant.  It might even be more useful than popular-pages views under some circumstances, as such views are likely to be weighted towards activities in a course that have already started or occurred; you wouldn't necessarily find upcoming lecture outlines or assignments easily via the number of folks who've viewed them.

-peter

----------------------
knoop knoop

RE: UX working session update

This may come from a difference in how the authoring working group uses the word entity and the use of vignettes as a substitute in the UX conversations.  I'm not sure the two are directly equivalent yet, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around vignette as I was only able to participate in one of the work sessions last week.

The Syllabus is an entity in the authoring context, as it is something that someone might want to embed a link to on a page they are authoring; whether it is a link to the Syllabus as a whole (aggregated view?), or to some sort of granular item in the Syllabus (maybe the syllabus is organized by lecture sessions, and each of those sessions is addressable as a syllabus item or entity too.)  For instance, maybe in the public description of your course you include some figures and some text to give students an idea about what you're going to cover, and you include in that text you a link to your syllabus, if they want to dive in for more details.  You might also provide a study guide for an exam that has links embedded in it to particular syllabus items the compose the scope of the exam.

-peter

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Michael Korcuska Michael Korcuska

Re: UX working session update

Yes, that's right.

This isn't my most compelling use cases for vignettes/entities (they
are the same in my understanding) because, in part, I see page
authoring as potentially replacing the notion of a syllabus tool--a
few good templates could go a long way in my view.  But one can
certainly imagine (Michael F certainly is imagining in his reference
to Moodle) using a structured syllabus tool to build a structured
syllabus (by week or by topic) and then allowing the user to expose
the items created in a variety of places. The student might never see
the "syllabus tool" itself--only the vignettes that use the data.

How a syllabus appears is a question for designers/instructors.  I can
imagine a home page for my site that contains a simple link to the
syllabus tool. I can do that already with Sakai 2.  Or I can imagine a
widget that displayed some basic information about the "current"
syllabus item (as defined by the current day?) as well as a link to
that item or the full syllabus.Or the same widget could be configured
to show multiple topics/weeks of a syllabus.

Or, one could imagine being able to place a single syllabus item on a
page (e.g. an assignment links back to the syllabus item that refers
to it).  I don't think you can link to a single syllabus item in Sakai
2.

That said, there is an important point lurking here. We need to design
these vignettes so the developers know what data feeds to provide.
There must be lots of good information on campus about what
instructors want to do....it would be fantastic if we could get a few
instructors in to simply draw (on paper) how they want their site to
look. We may not make it look exactly like that, of course, but I'm
sure it would make for some good input.

Michael

knoop knoop

> That said, there is an important point lurking here. We need to design
> these vignettes so the developers know what data feeds to provide.
> There must be lots of good information on campus about what
> instructors want to do....it would be fantastic if we could get a few
> instructors in to simply draw (on paper) how they want their site to
> look. We may not make it look exactly like that, of course, but I'm
> sure it would make for some good input.

I've attached one such example to the "Potential Vignette Use Cases" page:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/nQvWAg

See the "Syllabus as a site map" section.  (It is not the Syllabus tool, but rather a web content page named Syllabus, and, of course, a bit constrained by what was possible in Sakai2, but comes very close to the vision aimed for, though with a lot of behind-the-scenes manual labour to support the pedagogical approaches being explored.  We deliberately did not make it the course home page, which we wanted more of the "dashboard" kind of thing for.)

-peter

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Nathan Pearson Nathan Pearson

Re: UX working session update

Luke,

Thank you for your emails -- this stuff is a gold mine!  I'll respond more
thoughtfully tomorrow once I get time and hopefully we'll get a good
dialogue going that will give us even more direction.

Cheers,
Nathan

--
Nathan Pearson | UX Lead | Sakai Foundation

E. [hidden email]
M. 602.418.5092
Y. npearson99 (Yahoo)
S. npearson99 (Skype)

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kfqdgv5itkg1kl08050cu45pb8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Phoenix

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Daphne Ogle Daphne Ogle

Re: UX working session update

What I'd love to see added to this set of information are "why and
when" (basically the scenarios) for each of these types.  I think
these specifics will be key to how the vignettes themselves and the
process of creating/adding them to a page are designed.   Context,
context, context!

Perhaps we need an action item to combine these pages and begin to add
this detail?  I thought creating the scenarios to ground our work was
a great suggestion by Gary Thompson last week.

Is there someplace we can keep track of tasks for the 3akai UX work?
Don't want to add a bunch of overhead but it would be nice to have a
place to track and prioritize work we'd like to get done.  We've been
using jira to keep track of design tasks in Fluid.  I was very
apprehensive at first (much more a development tool) but it has worked
out well.

-Daphne

On Jan 18, 2009, at 7:05 AM, Michael Korcuska wrote:

> I think the Authoring group came up with a list that should be
> helpful (and, if indeed these are the same things you've been
> calling vignettes, the pages should be combined).
>
> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/kQF1Ag
>

> On Jan 17, 2009, at 02:06, Daphne Ogle wrote:
>
>>> As we reviewed these, the question of "how many" vignettes would
>>> the UI system need to manage?  Gary Thompson suggested we try to
>>> put a list together.  Daphne has started one on confluence here:
>>>
>>> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/UX/Potential+Vignette+Use+Cases
>>>
>>> I put a bit of thought into a possible list, and frankly, I see
>>> the potential for LOTS of vignettes --so I'm wondering if we
>>> should be imagining all of them now, or if we should just design
>>> the vignette browser to handle and infinite number of vignettes,
>>> and narrow our list to 3 or 4 vignettes that we know we'll want to
>>> tackle for this release.  Either way, I list of vignette ideas
>>> might be fun and certainly couldn't hurt.
>> Without spending a ton of time of this I think it would be useful
>> to list out some of the hundreds of possibilities you've been
>> thinking about -- if for no other reason to help us all get on the
>> same page.  Personally, when I think of the list it is fairly
>> limited.  I don't think we need to understand each of them at deep
>> level at this point but knowing whether there are hundreds or
>> dozens would help us understand the best way to help users
>> discover, find, access, learn about, etc.  the vignettes.  Could we
>> add the extremely minimal list we created today?  I find it
>> extremely useful and a good edge case check to think about the
>> specific context and scenario in which a particular kind of
>> vignette would be added to page.
>
> --
> Michael Korcuska
> Executive Director, Sakai Foundation
> [hidden email]
> phone: +1 510-931-6559
> mobile (US): +1 510-599-2586
> mobile (FR): +33 (0)6 31 11 58 97
> skype: mkorcuska
>

> This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal
> ) from the WG: Authoring site.
> You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace >
> Preferences.

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
University of California, Berkeley
Educational Technology Services
[hidden email]
cell (510)847-0308

----------------------
This automatic notification message was sent by Sakai Collab (https://collab.sakaiproject.org//portal) from the WG: Authoring site.
You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
Mathieu Plourde Mathieu Plourde

RE: UX working session update

Clay, Nate, and all the happy followers of this discussion...

Sorry to reply a bit late to this discussion, I'm trying to catch up.

This idea of Widget vs. Page vs. Template is somewhat visually represented in this diagram:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=44958822

Maybe we could try to start classifying or different vignettes, entities, and templates into those boxes.

Best Regards,

=================================

Mathieu Plourde, MBA
Instructional Designer