[Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

Marilyn Dispensa Marilyn Dispensa

[Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

Hi everyone,

A blind student on campus has been sharing his experiences with various technologies.  He says Sakai is extremely difficult to use and has the disability office take content from Sakai site and deliver to him separately.  I didn't get much specifics but when using JAWS he says there are many images that have a long alphanumeric file name and unless he memorizes those numbers, he can't navigate. He said it took 3 hours to take a 12 question quiz.

I've noticed that Sakai Project has accessibility efforts https://sakaiproject.org/accessibility

And the wiki actually talked a bout

There also seems to be an accessibility working group.

It seems like there is some testing done, but it is unclear about the completeness of that effort.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with Sakai and actual visually impaired students. If he agrees, I might try to record his experience and share it  with the community.

Maybe there is a user issue or maybe there's a way to go on this.

Marilyn

--------------------------------------
Marilyn Dispensa
Instructional Technology Coordinator
Information Technology Services
Ithaca College
953 Danby Road
Ithaca, NY

607-274-3647
[hidden email]
http://www.ithaca.edu/its/iss
@indispenzable

Diego del Blanco (Unicon) Diego del Blanco (Unicon)

Re: [Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

Hi Marilyn:

I'm not expert at all in accessibility, but this that you are commenting is very important.
I don't know what images, the user is finding with the alphanumeric code becuase most of the images in Sakai Skin have a normal name... maybe these images has been uploaded by the instructors that created the content. Or maybe they are Sakai images.

Anyway, some time ago, for one customer I had, we designed a patch to allow select the skin by user, so a user can have a different skin and view the platform in other way. We did some skins with high contrast and bigger size of the letters. Maybe this idea can go beyond that, and if we were able to to create a skin with a very simplified interface without any images that worked better for the screen readers, and assign it to people that needs that, it would make things easier for all.

Review all the sakai images and change the name for something more descritptive and add an "alt" on them surely is something that can be done too and I think it won't need a lot of work.

In the other hand, again, one thing is Sakai interface and other is the content that the teacher uploads. Maybe a way to make mandatory the "alt" field when a teacher uploads an image, or/and, some education for the instructors when they create the contents or questions, can help too.

About the first solution I proposed some time ago to change skin when you enter with a parameter in the URL,...https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-860  but this was not introduced in the main code. It's an option. I'd like more another option to allow to you, as a user, to select your own skin in preferences. So we can have skins for screen readers, high contrast skins, big fonts skins... or any other thing that helps the people with accessibility problems.

I propose the accessibility group to think about this. I think that Sakai, with the new Morpheus skin, has an opportunity to improve this question.

Diego

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/2ACC/Accessibility+Working+Group

It seems like there is some testing done, but it is unclear about the completeness of that effort.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with Sakai and actual visually impaired students. If he agrees, I might try to record his experience and share it  with the community.

Maybe there is a user issue or maybe there's a way to go on this.

Marilyn

--------------------------------------
Marilyn Dispensa
Instructional Technology Coordinator
Information Technology Services
Ithaca College
953 Danby Road
Ithaca, NY

[hidden email]
http://www.ithaca.edu/its/iss
@indispenzable

Diego del Blanco Orobitg
Spain & LATAM Regional Manager (ANI Sakai)
Apereo LATAM Representative (Apereo Foundation)

Ph: +1-480-521-8527
Sk: ddelblanco.ani

Jeff Davidson-2 Jeff Davidson-2

Re: [Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

Diego:

We have recently requested and a community Jira has been created for requiring alt text for images using the Sakai editor to help with accessibility compliance.

We are focusing on our course accessibility to ensure all PDFs, videos and images are accessible (those things over which we have control beyond Sakai itself).

The issue of accessibility will likely become more and more prominent and a priority for all universities in the future.

Jeff

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Diego del Blanco Orobitg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Manager, Learning Mgt Syst Srvs
USAonline
University of South Alabama
(251) 380-2845
(251) 380-2713 (fax)

Diego del Blanco (Unicon) Diego del Blanco (Unicon)

Re: [Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

Yes, that option seems a great idea. Jim told me about that.

And I can only agree with the importance of the accessibility.

Thanks!

[...]

Ph: <a href="tel:%2B1-480-521-8527" value="+14805218527" target="_blank">+1-480-521-8527

--
Diego del Blanco Orobitg
Spain & LATAM Regional Manager (ANI Sakai)
Apereo LATAM Representative (Apereo Foundation)

Ph: +1-480-521-8527
Sk: ddelblanco.ani

Matthew Jones Matthew Jones

Gayle Stein Gayle Stein

Re: [Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

We're hoping to accessibility test Sakai 11 during the community QA
process, but will need help doing so. If you're interested, please let
Neal (and me) know so we can coordinate our efforts--Gayle

==
Gayle K. Stein, MS, MLS, Ph.D.
* Associate Director for Instructional Technology
* Director, Accessible Information Technology Initiatives
* Adjunct member of the faculty and internship coordinator, Information
Technology and Informatics undergraduate program, School of
Communication and Information
* Member, University Senate and Research and Graduate & Professional
Education Committee
* Member, Institutional Review Board
* Member, CIC Information Technology and Accessibility Group, Learning
Technologies Group, Online Learning Group

On 3/20/15, 11:08 AM, Matthew Jones wrote:

> [...]
>             [hidden email]
>             <mailto:[hidden email]> with
>             a subject of "unsubscribe"
>

>         --
>         *Diego del Blanco Orobitg*
>         Spain & LATAM Regional Manager (/ANI Sakai
>         <http://www.anisakai.es/>/)
>         Apereo LATAM Representative (/Apereo Foundation
>         <http://www.apereo.org/>/)
>
>         Ph: +1-480-521-8527 <tel:%2B1-480-521-8527>
>         Em: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         Sk: ddelblanco.ani

>         [hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]> with a
>         subject of "unsubscribe"
>

>     --
>     Jeff Davidson
>     Manager, Learning Mgt Syst Srvs
>     USAonline
>     University of South Alabama
>     (251) 380-2845 <tel:%28251%29%20380-2845>
>     (251) 380-2713 <tel:%28251%29%20380-2713> (fax)

Wilma Hodges Wilma Hodges

Re: [Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

There is also a community effort for improving accessibility called the RA11y Plan which is currently underway. The goals are to complete a comprehensive VPAT of the current version and complete an audit to certify accessibility (such as the National Federation of the Blind certification). You can find more details at the link below.

Wilma Hodges
Director of Training & eLearning Initiatives
Longsight

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Gayle Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>             --------------------------------------
>             Marilyn Dispensa
>             Instructional Technology Coordinator
>             Information Technology Services
>             Ithaca College
>             953 Danby Road
>             Ithaca, NY
>             [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>             http://www.ithaca.edu/its/iss
>             @indispenzable

>             [hidden email]
>             <mailto:[hidden email]> with
>             a subject of "unsubscribe"
>

>         --
>         *Diego del Blanco Orobitg*
>         Spain & LATAM Regional Manager (/ANI Sakai
>         <http://www.anisakai.es/>/)
>         Apereo LATAM Representative (/Apereo Foundation
>         <http://www.apereo.org/>/)
>
>         Ph: <a href="tel:%2B1-480-521-8527" value="+14805218527">+1-480-521-8527 <tel:%2B1-480-521-8527>
>         Em: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Paul Dagnall Paul Dagnall

Re: [Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

Within the last few years we (University of Dayton) have twice arranged for blind JAWS users to evaluate the usability of our instance of Sakai (v2.9). Both times, the users gave the product very good feedback. We asked them to look at all the tools we commonly use. They reported no serious deficiencies - just a few minor annoyances.

The only complaint about the Test & Quizzes tool was that the introductory descriptions of assessments were not being read by JAWS. Other than that I witnessed very smooth assessment experiences by JAWS users.
Matt Clare Matt Clare

Re: [Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for altering us.  I’ve cross-posted my response to [hidden email] to involve the rest of that community as well.

Sakai has a record of being well received by users of assertive devices as released, but the challenge is making sure all the content added to the system is accessible — a challenge worth meeting, because an LMS isn’t much good without anything in it.

As other have speculated, the problem was likely images in the quiz.  As JAWS will read the filename if no alternative text is provided.  Recently versions of Sakai have instructions on creating accessible content in the help documentation https://trysakai.longsight.com/portal/help/TOCDisplay/content.hlp?docId=richtexteditoraccessibilityguidelines but there is also consideration to making adding alternative information required in future versions of Sakai.

The fmath math formula creator, as I think was mentioned, is neither accessible when creating formulas or when they are viewed by students.  Math is a tough thing to make accessible on the web, but the best solutions make the formulas inspectable (assistive software can navigate through it, unlike alternative text) and make it high fidelity so that it can be zoomed.  WIRS is a good solution.  Sakai 11 will support MathJAX, which displays LaTeX, MathML and other equation markup made in common external tool in accessible manor.  More on that here https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-22384

Other issues with Sakai tests have been that question types like matching.  The layout of the matching questions can be very difficult to navigate and modify if you can't visually perceive all the options and constantly have to have them read to you.

I’d be happy to hear more about this experience from you or others involved so that we can learn from it and improve Sakai.

The “RA11y Plan” for enhancing Sakai’s already been mentioned https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/2ACC/rA11y+Plan .  It’d be great to address this situation with that initiative.

It would be great to have a recording or export of the quiz to review — and I’d assume the instructor won’t want that floating around the web, so please feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks for letting us know,

.\.\att

Matt Clare
Chair, Sakai Accessibility Working Group
Manager, eLearning
  Centre for Pedagogical Innovation
Part-time Instructor
  Interactive Arts and Sciences
Brock University, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
http://brocku.ca/pedagogical-innovation    905 688 5550 xt 4539   Office: SBH321

On Mar 20, 2015, at 12:31 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Send sakai-user mailing list submissions to

http://collab.sakaiproject.org/mailman/listinfo/sakai-user

than "Re: Contents of sakai-user digest..."

Today's Topics:

  1. Re: sakai-user Digest, Vol 73, Issue 33 (Carles Aguil?)
  2. Re: Sakai unusable by blind student (Wilma Hodges)

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 17:13:17 +0100
From: Carles Aguil? <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Using Sakai] sakai-user Digest, Vol 73, Issue 33
To: [hidden email]

Hi Marilyn,

We adopt exactly that approach in WIRIS regarding math formulas.

Image + textual description:
www.slideshare.net/wirismath/achieving-accessibility-in-mathematics-and-scientific-fields

You can also try it live at www.wiris.com/editor/demo/en/accessibility

And just to clarify: WIRIS is free up to 1.000 formulas per year, paying
above that.

Best,

    Carles
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 12:31:55 -0400
From: Wilma Hodges <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student
To: Gayle Stein <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]"
<[hidden email]>

www.longsight.com

           <

           ?

[...]

End of sakai-user Digest, Vol 73, Issue 35
Marilyn Dispensa Marilyn Dispensa

Re: [Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses about accessibility and Sakai. I’ve asked the blind student who had the problems to meet with us to better document the specifics.   Stay tuned.