[Using Sakai] Site stats for Lessons Tool and LTI tools

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

[Using Sakai] Site stats for Lessons Tool and LTI tools

We've had a query from a user about whether it's possible to get Stats about individual instances of a tool, eg,

1/ if a site has 2 IMS LTI tools can one see a breakdown of launches of each individual tool

2/ if a site has 2 lessons tools, can one see a breakdown of each individual instance?

adam
--

** Note change of email address to [hidden email] **

Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.
IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

Pat Miller Pat Miller

Re: [Using Sakai] Site stats for Lessons Tool and LTI tools

Hi, Adam,
If the tools are part of Sakai, you can get data on the usage of the tool--e.g., lesson_builder vs. melete 'lessons' tools.

Our hosting partner provides us a table to query events, users, etc and I can query using Tableau: (here you see some counts of faculty uses of melete, lesson_builder, etc.)

Inline image 1

For LTI tools you can't get the usage data of the tool since that is with the tool vendor, but you can query events to find the basiclti launch event, then you add the REF field to see which tool is being referenced by the basiclti launch.  Below is an example of how to find course sites that are using Piazza:  (just figured out how to do this, by the way)

Inline image 2

Hopefully we can get vendors to provide usage data back to us.  The Internet 2  Common Solutions Group is planning to approach Piazza, by the way, to provide usage data back to the partner institutions for the purpose of learning analytics.  Perhaps compliance with LTI 2.0 will provide for the return of usage data, not sure?

Pat Miller
University of Notre Dame

Jim Mezzanotte Jim Mezzanotte

Re: [Using Sakai] Site stats for Lessons Tool and LTI tools

Hi Adam,

For the Lessons tool, I think user events are tied to pages, with each
page getting an ID.

So for this event:

lessonbuilder.read

You might get this reference:

/lessonbuilder/page/2853

I'm not sure how the system tags pages with these IDs. It would be
useful (if the events table has the data) to match a page ID to its
title.

Best,
Jim Mezzanotte
Asahi Net International

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We've had a query from a user about whether it's possible to get Stats about individual instances of a tool, eg,
>
> 1/ if a site has 2 IMS LTI tools can one see a breakdown of launches of each individual tool
>
> 2/ if a site has 2 lessons tools, can one see a breakdown of each individual instance?
>
> adam
> --
>
> ** Note change of email address to [hidden email] **
>
> Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.
> IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

Re: [Using Sakai] Site stats for Lessons Tool and LTI tools

So there’s two issues here.

1/ info from sakai regarding which LTI tools have been invoked, and when and by whom.

2/ Passing back data about what individual users have done in the LTI tool.

I’m not sure I would really expect to see #2 reported in Sakai, however, and correct me if I’m wrong, but the external tool wont always know the name of its users will it so perhaps we would like this.

adam

Earle Nietzel-3 Earle Nietzel-3

Re: [Using Sakai] Site stats for Lessons Tool and LTI tools

Hi Adam,

#1 can be solved with in Sakai via adding an event at the right place. We use a tool called Appdynamics where by we monitor any call of ActiveTool.forward() and then inspect the Placement to find out what tool is being dealt with. You could potentially do something similar here.

[...]

earle,
asahi net int.