[WG: Sakai QA] Sakai 11 proposed schedule

[WG: Sakai QA] Sakai 11 proposed schedule

[sakai-dev, sakai-qa, sakai-pmc (at new apereo.org address)]

Hi All,

On Tuesday, we held a special meeting of the Sakai Core team [1]. The "special" part was to hold it at a time other than our usual Thursday at 10 am Eastern so that others might have a chance to attend, who normally cannot make that time.

Based on the discussion we came up with the following schedule [2]. Questions, comments, suggestions, and concerns are all welcome.

2015 April 14 Testing iFrame using Complex tools
2015 May 1 ReflectUtils and Java 8 in trunk
2015 May 11 Morpheus complete
2015 June 5 Identify Scope
2015 June 22 String freeze and cut Sakai 11 branch in Github
2015 August Shift focus to Bug Bashes/ QA
2015 October Release candidate 01
2015 December GA (production release)

This is just a draft. It is based on the current state of Sakai, which includes that Morpheus (responsive design) is in trunk, as is Dashboard, and that we are planning to have in the Gradebook Enhancement Project, and the Lessons Enhancement Project, and hoping, and likely, to get in some additional Samigo (Test and Quizzes) updates (already a number of updates in trunk).  We also anticipate some further evolution of Morpheus over the next month or two.

A couple of notes:
* This schedule provides us the opportunity to use Open Apereo to put the final touches on Sakai 11 scope, perhaps doing some additional improvements.

* We plan to test the week of April 14, the week after next. Not a full Morphues test, but testing "inlining", the changes that have been made to the portal, and undoubtedly could hit some Morphues issues.

* We whether it might be better to branch Sakai 11 later.

* We want to move to Java 8. Java 7 has reached end of life.

* We need to refine our dates a little more from August and later.

* Releasing in the holiday timeframe, December, has significant schedule risk.

Sakai Community Coordinator

Re: [WG: Sakai QA] [Building Sakai] Sakai 11 proposed schedule

I think so.

Right now, scope definition cutoff is June 5, which means we would need to hear about your feature on this Jira

For tracking.

We might want to be a little more explicit.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Adam Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is June 22 that “feature freeze” cut-off point? Hopefully Adrian Fish & Flying Kite will have finished merging our enhancements by then.

adam

--

** Note change of email address to [hidden email] **

Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.

IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

[...]

[1] Sakai core team notes - http://etherpad.ctools.org/p/rmmt-2015-03-31

Sakai Community Coordinator

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [WG: Sakai QA] [Building Sakai] Sakai 11 proposed schedule

Curious if there are any more suggestions or concerns about the schedule?

One question I received is what if a feature has already been added into trunk? The answer is that it will be part of Sakai 11, please make sure that it has a  Fix Version of Sakai 11 so that we can track it. It would not need to be added to the Jira tracking scope (features that are being proposed to get into Sakai 11) [1].

[1] Feature requests needing consideration for Sakai 11 -  https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-29008