[sakai-dev] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

Pat Miller Pat Miller

[sakai-dev] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

Hi, All,
At the Sakai Virtual conference I mentioned that we believe Open LRW does have a lot of promise for an NGDLE central repository of learning records -- both unstructured in the form of student learning activity and structured in the form of SIS data (student rosters, courses, instructors and other data).

The LRW can take multiple feeds of xAPI and Caliper data and in fact translates xAPI (as much as feasible) to Caliper format.  We have been successful in feeding it H5P data (xAPI), Sakai (xAPI), Kaltura (xAPI and very soon Caliper) and hope to have it also fed  by Panopto and Digication (our ePortfolio) who have both stated they plan to support Caliper.  We are not to production yet on the new LRW but are getting there.  We have the components running in our DEV environment in AWS.  In production we currently are running the original LRS which can only take 1 xAPI feed from Sakai.

Below are some (granted simple) illustrations of Slamdata visualizations of data held in the MongoDB storage of the LRW which we included in our Educause poster session a couple weeks ago--Xiaojing Duan and myself.  Slamdata is an open source visualization tool for Mongo and other NoSQL data sources.  The data, though just test data, are real-time data both queries and visualizations.

This examples shows interactions with H5P interactive lesson--first the data, then the visualization.

Radar chart below shows results of responses to above and other H5P questions:

Next example is from Kaltura -- students viewing videos

Below is Slamdata guage visualization of % viewed:

And Sakai assessment data:

LRW MongoDB can be queried by other visualization tools as well, such as Tableau which is used extensively at ND.

If would be great if we could have Slamdata visualizations with LTI back to Sakai.  I wonder how difficult that would be?  (Dr. Chuck?)  Currently the Open Apereo LRW returns visualizations back to Sakai with LTI from Open Dashboard--which is the piece we are currently working on.  We know NC State (a Moodle school) is working on additional dashboards as well.  We'd like to see other schools get on board and contribute toward this effort!!

One of the issues we found was that the xAPI provider of Sakai was not consistently sending site_id with the activity data.  Longsight is working on some fixes that will be contributed back--we are currently in the midst of testing the fixes.

Pat
Notre Dame

Antonio Barron Antonio Barron

[sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

How do y'all feel about a mini-Sakai Analytics BOF , online in BigBlueButton sometime soon?

It would be interesting to know who is exploring analytics and how far they have gotten.

-- Neal

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:01 PM, David Eveland <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve got to dig myself into this stuff. Very cool Pat and Tony.

------------

Dave E.
<end of reply or forward>

Antonio Barron Antonio Barron

Antonio Barron Antonio Barron

John Digilio John Digilio

[sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

Neal,

Count Marist in.

-John

John A. Digilio

Applications and Platform Architect, CSM
Marist
3399 North Road
Poughkeepsie, New York 12601
(845) 575-3538
[hidden email]

Pat Miller Pat Miller

[sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

Sure.  Sounds good to me!
There could be several areas of focus -- 1.)  Sakai centric analytics -- have any schools done work to enhance built in site stats.  2.) Any schools that have built visualizations, tools around add-ons like Longsight Redshift or MySQL read only copy of Sakai data  and 3.)  NGDLE views of Student interaction data from multiple sources and tools--LRW, LRS or traditional Data Warehouse.

Pat

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Martin Ramsay <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’d be willing to show what we’ve done with SOLÉ (and where there are still challenges).

Martin

Martin Ramsay, Director
LAMP Consortium
USA
tel. <a href="tel:(859)%20986-8702" value="+18599868702" target="_blank">1(859)986-8702

On Nov 15, 2017, at 12:38 PM, David Eveland <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m in. When and where?

------------
Dave E.
<end of reply or forward>

Jolie Tingen Jolie Tingen

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

Count me in on the Learning Analytics BOF.  We will likely have a few other participants from Duke in that conversation.

Thanks!

Joile

There could be several areas of focus -- 1.)  Sakai centric analytics -- have any schools done work to enhance built in site stats.  2.) Any schools that have built visualizations, tools around add-ons like Longsight Redshift or MySQL read only copy of Sakai data  and 3.)  NGDLE views of Student interaction data from multiple sources and tools--LRW, LRS or traditional Data Warehouse.

Pat

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Martin Ramsay <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’d be willing to show what we’ve done with SOLÉ (and where there are still challenges).

Martin

Martin Ramsay, Director
LAMP Consortium
Berea, KY  40403-9110
USA
tel. <a href="tel:(859)%20986-8702" value="&#43;18599868702" target="_blank">1(859)986-8702

On Nov 15, 2017, at 12:38 PM, David Eveland <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m in. When and where?

------------
Dave E.
<end of reply or forward>

Arlow, Magdaleen Arlow, Magdaleen

[sakai-dev] RE: [sakai-user] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

We have not done much, but we are interested.

Magdaleen Arlow

Unisa

I’d be willing to show what we’ve done with SOLÉ (and where there are still challenges).

Martin

Martin Ramsay, Director

LAMP Consortium

1788 Hwy. 1016, Suite B

Berea, KY  40403-9110

USA

tel. 1(859)986-8702

On Nov 15, 2017, at 12:38 PM, David Eveland <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m in. When and where?

------------

Dave E.
865-251-2320
<end of reply or forward>

[sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

It seems like there is interest in an online BOF (Birds of a Feather).  Maybe it would be good to schedule something after the holidays? early-mid January-ish?

-- Neal

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM, benjamin Rappleyea <[hidden email]> wrote:
ISU is definitely interested. We are in the process of setting up a proof of concept LRW using OpenLRW right now even.

On Nov 15, 2017 11:34 AM, "Neal Caidin" <[hidden email]> wrote:
How do y'all feel about a mini-Sakai Analytics BOF , online in BigBlueButton sometime soon?

It would be interesting to know who is exploring analytics and how far they have gotten.

-- Neal

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:01 PM, David Eveland <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve got to dig myself into this stuff. Very cool Pat and Tony.

------------

Dave E.
<end of reply or forward>

Pat Miller Pat Miller

[sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Re: Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

That sounds cool Mary Jo. Please keep us posted.

The data dictionary question came up recently and AFAICT there is not one.

Maybe there is community energy to create one? Is it worth the effort?

Once created it seems like it would be relatively straightforward to maintain (because it is not common for it to change significantly. Usually small tweaks. Exceptions probably include things like the current Assignments re-write).

Are there tools that can generate an initial data dictionary for you and you fill in the gaps?

Sorry, more questions than answers wrt a data dictionary.

-- Neal

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:18 AM, mwatts <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here are Ithaca College (a Longsight client) we're just at the very beginning stages of exploring what's possible to glean from our Sakai data for a variety of purposes-- at an institutional level the main concern is retention of course. Sakai admin and support is housed in our IT Teaching and Learning with Technology (TLT) group which is heavily focused on pedagogy. Our instructional designers, for one example, will be interested in what the data might tell us about best practices for tool usage.

I'm a total analytics/ data visualization newbie. I'm the Sakai admin (and therefore the data's steward) but my background in undergrad instruction and ID. I'm teaching myself the basics of Tableau and, with the help of IR, I'm getting my feet wet by looking at possible trends in Lessons usage.

We expect to have our data warehouse up and running within the next 8 months. I've been asked to provide a Sakai data dictionary for Data Cookbook-- have any of you created a detailed one already?

I'd sincerely appreciate any advice, lessons learned, presentations/reports, any help any of you can offer.

Please count me in for a BoF group.

Thanks,
Mary Jo Watts
Ithaca College

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 11:21:06 AM UTC-5, pmiller wrote:
[...]

Gordon, Patricia S. (Trisha) (psg3a) Gordon, Patricia S. (Trisha) (psg3a)

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

Count me in, too, please! Thanks!

From: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> on behalf of Jolie Tingen <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 2:22 PM
To: Pat Miller <[hidden email]>, Martin Ramsay <[hidden email]>
Cc: Dave Eveland <[hidden email]>, Antonio Barron <[hidden email]>, Neal Caidin <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, dev sakai <[hidden email]>

[...]

tel. <a href="tel:(859)%20986-8702" target="_blank">1(859)986-8702

On Nov 15, 2017, at 12:38 PM, David Eveland <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m in. When and where?

------------

Dave E.
<end of reply or forward>

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

Back-to-school is underway I imagine in a lot of places.

Should we try and schedule this (doodle) for next week , in advance of SakaiCamp? Or maybe post-SakaiCamp (and probably post- ELI for me.)? After the school rush , etc.

-- Neal

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:02 PM, Gregory Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

Me-2.

Great area; important, interesting, exciting.

Dr. Gregory Guthrie

Count me in on the Learning Analytics BOF.  We will likely have a few other participants from Duke in that conversation.

Thanks!

Joile

Ian Dolphin (apereo) Ian Dolphin (apereo)

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

There’s an Apereo Webinar on "Learning What Works When Scaling Analytics Infrastructure”
January 24th at noon US Eastern, led by Lou Harrison from NC State DELTA
Details at https://tinyurl.com/y9a9ts99

Best

Ian

--
Ian Dolphin
Apereo Foundation

Discover more about Apereo by visiting www.apereo.org or subscribe to our announcements and open discussion lists by sending mail to [hidden email] and [hidden email]

> On 8 Jan 2018, at 14:10, Pat Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would suggest after Sakai camp.  My schedule is pretty full between now and Sakai Camp.  Hope this is part of discussion at Sakai Camp too, so maybe there will be some updates for the community.
>
> Pat
>
> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:03 AM, Neal Caidin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Back-to-school is underway I imagine in a lot of places.
>
> Should we try and schedule this (doodle) for next week , in advance of SakaiCamp? Or maybe post-SakaiCamp (and probably post- ELI for me.)? After the school rush , etc.
>

> -- Neal
>

> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:02 PM, Gregory Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Me-2.
>
> Great area; important, interesting, exciting.
>

> Dr. Gregory Guthrie

Pat Miller Pat Miller

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Examples of visualizations from Apereo Open LRW

Looks good.  We had a good discussion with NC State and Marist just before the winter break.  Very fruitful.

Thanks, Ian,

Pat

Awesome, Pat! Thanks!

From: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> on behalf of Pat Miller <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 9, 2018 at 9:07 AM
To: "Ian Dolphin (apereo)" <[hidden email]>
Cc: Caidin Neal <[hidden email]>, dev sakai <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Just to make community aware:

At the suggestion of  Malcolm Brown, we created a blog posting for Educause Review based on the poster session we did at last fall's Educause.  It is linked from this week's Educause Review New Content Alert:

We are making plans with Neal to have one or more Webinars on learning analytics.