[sakai-dev] Request for Comment: SakaiCamp draft Manifesto

Laura Gekeler Laura Gekeler

[sakai-dev] Request for Comment: SakaiCamp draft Manifesto

Evolving. Living. The conversation matters.

[SakaiCamp 2018 RFC]

SakaiCamp participants on January 23rd began the drafting of the following Manifesto.

This Manifesto came into being to illuminate the practices Sakai developers have been following for sometime, and which we now realize are completely congruent with the recent talks about an NGDLE (next generation digital learning environment). Because Sakai developers follow these general guidelines, the Sakai community by its nature is able to contribute in practical ways to the ongoing NGDLE discussion. We are uniquely poised to see Sakai, the LMS, in production become more and more like the ‘holy grail,’ the NGDLE.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, we evolve Sakai towards:

  1. lightness: today’s 2.5 million lines of code is being intentionally reduced.
  2. using our influence to build better integration and interoperability standards (LTI, OneRoster, Caliper, xAPI)
  3. complete coverage of all services with externally accessible APIs, leading to greater flexibility
  4. more faculty choices: in templates, layouts, and tool selection (internal or external)
  5. more data for analytics both from the LMS and from integrated tools
  6. cooperating with and influencing 3rd parties to write their integrations to open standards
  7. a simpler user interface that is easier to use

alan.regan alan.regan