[sakai-dev] Site Cards

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

[sakai-dev] Site Cards

I knocked up this card-based 'sites drawer' and wondered if anybody had any comments / thoughts. If the sites has a site icon URL then it appears in a circle in the centre of the card.

https://qa2-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/access/content/public/js-eb/courses.html

adam

[sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Site Cards

Please note that you have to log onto:

before clicking the link

(otherwise, not much to see).

-- Neal

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:36 PM, Adam Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
I knocked up this card-based 'sites drawer' and wondered if anybody had any comments / thoughts. If the sites has a site icon URL then it appears in a circle in the centre of the card.

https://qa2-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/access/content/public/js-eb/courses.html

adam

Laura Gekeler Laura Gekeler

[sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Site Cards

Should favorites organized in Sites also be reflected visually here?

LG

Laura Gekeler
LMS Administrator
Learning Platforms
Apereo Foundation Board '14-2020
University of Notre Dame

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:36 PM, Adam Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
I knocked up this card-based 'sites drawer' and wondered if anybody had any comments / thoughts. If the sites has a site icon URL then it appears in a circle in the centre of the card.

https://qa2-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/access/content/public/js-eb/courses.html

adam

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

[sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Site Cards

Do you mean they should have a star? At the moment the favourites are at the top.

I thought about allowing them to be favourited  on the page but I wasn't sure whether it was worth it.

Adam

Sent from my rather wonderful OnePlus phone

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 9:02 PM +0000, "Laura Gekeler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Should favorites organized in Sites also be reflected visually here?

LG

Laura Gekeler
LMS Administrator
Learning Platforms
Apereo Foundation Board '14-2020
University of Notre Dame

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:36 PM, Adam Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
I knocked up this card-based 'sites drawer' and wondered if anybody had any comments / thoughts. If the sites has a site icon URL then it appears in a circle in the centre of the card.

https://qa2-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/access/content/public/js-eb/courses.html

adam

Laura Gekeler Laura Gekeler

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

[sakai-dev] RE: [sakai-user] Site Cards

I can do that easily.

adam

--

Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, ph: 83357, twit: @oxfordweblearn

Technology Enhanced Learning , Academic IT, IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.

Digital Education at Oxford: http://www.digitaleducation.ox.ac.uk/

alan.regan alan.regan

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Site Cards

Thanks for sharing this, Adam.  I like the visual approach and, like Tiffany, I'm intrigued on the goals / purpose for this redesign.  How did the idea come about?  Was this an outcome of Sakai Camp or a T&L meeting?

Aside from the bug mentioned, I think the use of a site banner image would be a fun way for a professor to customize or draw attention to a specific course in this view.  I was thinking this approach might be a nice re-imagining of the "Membership" tool (Home > Memberships) or even a shopping display for the "Joinable Sites" page in Membership.

Looking forward to learning more about the thoughts behind the design.

Thanks again,
--Alan

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 8:38:41 AM UTC-8, tls6u wrote:

Hi Adam,

It looks nice, but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this Sites drawer?  Is it intended to replace the existing My Sites, or would it be in addition to the existing My Sites, and if in addition, where would it go?  Is it to replace Worksite Setup in Home, and ultimately display a lot more than My Sites, with the ability to take actions (delete, restore softly deleted, etc.) on the sites?

If this is a new feature (or, I guess to replace the existing My Sites), I have the following suggestions for improvements:

  • A way for users to manually group project sites (when they have a lot of them and want to keep these in their Sites drawer).  It looks like these cards might be intended for eventual drag-drop organization?
  • A way for any user to set their own "Nickname" or personal title for a site - a student requested this recently and I thought it was a good idea - although site owners can modify the titles, they don't always do this and the site titles often have the roster name.  If a student has a lot of classes in the same discipline (as majors often do), it would be helpful for them to be able to indicate something like CS 101 Lecture, CS 101 Discussion in their site tabs so they can identify their sites regardless of title.  Because the cards are rather large, there would be ample space to add a "Nickname" section.

I find it confusing that the sites are not organized in any logical way (course sites by semester, project sites in their own category).  At minimum, this organization should be maintained.

What is the purpose of the separate area at the top of each card?  Is it just to indicate whether it's a course or project site and display the site icon?  If so, the site title could be included at the top of the card as well and all the tool icons by themselves in the bottom part of the card (making each card smaller).    Also, with respect to the icon, I would not want to encourage users to add site icon URLs because entering a bad URL causes bugs when users try to upload to Resources; see SAK-33705.

Why are the tops of the cards different colors?  Currently, the colors seem random and not helpful to organize or visually identify the sites (some of them also stand out for me more than others, like the bright pink one in between the brown and blue).  I would expect if anything should be colored, 1. the user could specify the colors and 2. the colors would correspond to an organizational principle, like all sites from a particular semester would have the same color.

The other thing I noticed is that the visual indicator of keyboard focus when tabbing around on the page is not clear when focus is on a site title.  It looks like everything on the card (including all the icons at the bottom) are selected.

Tiffany Stull

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

RE: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Site Cards

Tiffany

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply (as ever). You saw straight through my email! Indeed I’m not too sure where it would go – probably it should replace the sites drawer but I’ll need to work in sections for course sites (which we don’t use at Oxford).

Restrictions in being able to write changes back to Sakai via Entity Broker will means that it’s very much a “display only” tool.  It may be possible to allow favouring though as this doesn’t use Entity Broker – it uses another REST endpoint and I think this work OK. For any more advanced stuff I think the whole thing would need to be rewritten in Java otherwise it’s going to get unwieldly.

I was think to perhaps dump the site icon and replace the coloured area at the top with a random photo? Even though we have site icons available, hardly anybody uses them. The colours are totally random based on a hash of the site title – I thought it would look boring if they were all the same colour.

As well as the Site Title being at the bottom, the space under that displays the department used in Delegated access – this could also be moved to the top I guess.

I hadn’t spotted the thing about the keyboard focus – thanks.

Adam

Tiffany Stull Tiffany Stull

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Site Cards

Hi Adam,

You're welcome!

As a replacement for the Sites drawer, I'd be concerned for mobile devices about how large the cards are - I would find it frustrating to scroll a lot to get to a site.  Perhaps an option for the user to check (The wording of suggested options would need tweaking):
  • Classic Site Tabs (titles and favorites only, as now)
  • Site Cards

Personally, I find the random colors distracting, drawing my attention to specific sites that might not be of interest at all, and the colors might create a serious accessibility issue if some are randomly generated with poor contrast to the text.  The same goes for random images - these can be significantly more distracting than helpful if they are meaningless to the user.

However, I think the colors could be very helpful if each user could customize them so they could correspond to something meaningful AND so users could choose whatever colors would be easy on their eyes.  Again, this would require a more complex and interactive page.

If users were given the ability to choose colors, the colors should carry over to the Favorite Site tabs to help users quickly identify sites of interest (similarly, with two Sites drawer views as suggested above, the colors should be shown on the "Classic Site Tabs" view).

Because the cards are so large, I think additional details could be included:
  • For course sites, if you've been added to the site via an official course roster from the Student Information System (or equivalent), indicate the roster,
  • Short Description, if added by site owner/admin,
  • "Nickname" or "Preferred Title" (as proposed by the student - I know this would be new development, but several students have requested similar things and I think it would be useful).  If "Nicknames" are included, they should be displayed in Favorite Site tabs and "Classic Site Tabs" as well, with the true site title displayed upon focusing (keyboard or mouse) on the tab (mainly for support staff to help users find sites when given the name of a course roster as the site).

Here are suggestions for how customization might work:
  1. Color default for all cards is defined via CSS at an institutional level (you might use university branding), or, better yet, at a departmental level where an assigned department administrator chooses the color from a limited color palette (to avoid contrast issues).
  2. Site Icon default (if no icon exists for the site) is defined at an institutional level, or, better yet, at a departmental level where an assigned department administrator uploads this file.
  3. Each site card has an option (maybe a pencil icon in the top area?) to edit its color and give it a "Nickname" (this nickname would show in the top part instead of the site title).
  4. Each grouping of sites (e.g., semester), has a similar option as #3 to choose a uniform color for all tabs in that group.
  5. Favoriting sites should be as-is, where you can star/favorite either individual sites or groups of sites (e.g., semester).

With the suggestions above, users could do the following with the cards:
    • Favorite sites,
    • Color-code sites or semesters of particular interest to them to make these stand out in the list (especially useful for project sites or sites with similar names - for example, "Tenure Review Committee," for multiple reviews in a department, or FREN 101-1 and FREN 101-3 if you are taking a class with separate sites for lecture and discussion),
    • Nickname specific sites to make them easier to find,
    • See:
      • Site Icons,
      • "Nickname" if added,
      • Site title provided by the instructor/site admin,
      • Official course roster (if the user is on it),
      • Department for Delegated Access (if any - project sites wouldn't have this),
      • Site Short Description (if added).
    • Specify colors and nicknames for their favorite site tabs.

Tiffany

On 1/30/2018 12:21 PM, Adam Marshall wrote:

[...]

I was inspired by LinkedIn and C**vas, I just thought the membership tool and sites drawer looked really dull and it would be a cinch to knock up a redesign. So I did.

I must say I'm a fan of the site image (URL) but I believe most institutions disable it and most people here ignore it despite our best efforts. It adds a splash of colour.

Adam

Sent from my rather wonderful OnePlus phone

Tiffany Stull Tiffany Stull

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Site Cards

Hi Adam,

Actually, I think the site icon is fun (UVA doesn't have it in course sites though).

However, as I mentioned, there is presently a nasty bug where if a user puts a bad image URL in the URL box (we had several users put random text in there recently, not actual URLs), it breaks Resources: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-33705

When users upload to Resources in an affected site, they get an ugly NPE bug report in spite of the upload having been successful.  I think this bug should be fixed before users are encouraged to add site icons.

Tiffany

On 1/30/2018 2:47 PM, Adam Marshall wrote:
I was inspired by LinkedIn and C**vas, I just thought the membership tool and sites drawer looked really dull and it would be a cinch to knock up a redesign. So I did.

I must say I'm a fan of the site image (URL) but I believe most institutions disable it and most people here ignore it despite our best efforts. It adds a splash of colour.

Adam

Sent from my rather wonderful OnePlus phone

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: [sakai-user] Site Cards

We hit the bad URL bug too. Sak-32548 is a dupe of 33705, that's the one we linked to.

Adam

Sent from my rather wonderful OnePlus phone

Adam Marshall-2 Adam Marshall-2

[sakai-dev] RE: [sakai-user] Site Cards

I have updated my “site-cards” code, you can now favourite and un-favourite a site: https://qa11-mysql.nightly.sakaiproject.org/access/content/public/eb/cards.html

You need to be logged in. I’ve only addressed the favouriting issue that people raised. I’ll look at some other things later.

(The favourites REST response has changed between 11 & 12, in 12 it returns JSON so the JS doesn’t currently work with 12 (hence me hosting it in a version of 11). It will get wiped every night so view it whilst it’s hot (so-to-speak)!)

adam