[sakai-dev] Tests & Quizzes error: multiple choice multiple answers where all the responses are correct

Sanghyun Jeon Sanghyun Jeon

[sakai-dev] Tests & Quizzes error: multiple choice multiple answers where all the responses are correct

Dear All,

We are using Sakai 11.2 and we notice that error occurs on multiple choice question with multiple correct, multiple selection where ALL the responses were correct (faculty thought this is supposed to be a trick question, sort of)
Student's answers are checked correctly (marked as Green), but the score is not correct.
I notice that this does not happen on Sakai 12 QA server ( https://qa2-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/portal) but it does happen on Sakai 11.4 QA Server (https://qa1-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/portal/). So I expect the fix is available but I cannot find one yet. Can anybody point me where I can find the fix?

Here's how to reproduce the issue:
As an instructor:
1) Create an Assessment with title
2) Select a question type as "Multiple Choice"
3) Enter answer point value: 1.5
4) Display points? yes
5) Choose the answer configuration: "Multiple Correct, Multiple Selection",
"All or Nothing", and point deduced for incorrect answer: 0.75
6) add correct answers A thru G (mark all the responses as correct).
7) Randomize Answers: Yes and save the question

As a student:
take an exam and mark all the options as correct.

This student has checked every response as she should and all her answers are marked as Green (indicate the correct answers), but she is getting the -0.75 points for getting the exam wrong rather than a 1.5 which she should get for the exam.

In order to confirm this behavior, I create a new exam with A thru F correct answers (note: previously all answers are correct and now in this question there is one incorrect answer). This new exam works as expected.

Please let me know where I can find the JIRA or fix for this issue.

Best,

Sanghyun Jeon Sanghyun Jeon

[sakai-dev] Re: Tests & Quizzes error: multiple choice multiple answers where all the responses are correct

Good morning,

Can anybody tell me where I can find this fix?

Thank you in advance.

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 7:37 PM, Sanghyun Jeon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: [sakai-dev] Re: Tests & Quizzes error: multiple choice multiple answers where all the responses are correct

Thank you, Austin.
I thought this is a bug related with multiple choice and multiple selection with all correct answers. However, your point guides me the right direction.
Thank you again.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Sanghyun,

We've seen a similar problem, but with 'multiple choice single correct'.  see my forum thread "Samigo autoscore null for some answers".

I found this JIRA which sounds similar to both of our problems, but I'm haven't tried it yet because our particular problem was intermittent and I didn't have a way to reproduce it. so I wouldn't have a way to test if it solved our problem.  But maybe it'll work for you?

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 7:09 AM, Sanghyun Jeon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Shawn Foster-2 Shawn Foster-2

Re: [sakai-dev] Tests & Quizzes error: multiple choice multiple answers where all the responses are correct

Hi, Sanghyun.

I tested your steps in our local production instance of Sakai 11 and I
was unable to reproduce your outcome: the quiz submission was graded
properly because the student received a score of "1.5" points.

I found a JIRA ticket that seems similar to the case that you described:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAM-3191

It was fixed for 11.5 (tentative) and 12.0 (tentative), neither of which
have been released as official Sakai releases yet.

I then noticed that we (Western University) had backported this fix
(SAM-3191) into our local instance when we upgraded to Sakai 11 last
summer, which explains why I wasn't able to reproduce your issue in my
local instance. Hopefully, this indicates that SAM-3191 may fix the
issue for you too.

If it has been fixed for 11.5, you shouldn't be able to reproduce the
issue on the Nightly 11.x server:
https://qa11-mysql.nightly.sakaiproject.org/

I hope this helps you,
-Shawn

--
Shawn Foster
eLearning Technology and Application Development

On 2018-02-02 10:37 PM, Sanghyun Jeon wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We are using Sakai 11.2 and we notice that error occurs on multiple choice
> question with multiple correct, multiple selection where ALL the responses
> were correct (faculty thought this is supposed to be a trick question, sort
> of)
> Student's answers are checked correctly (marked as Green), but the score is
> not correct.
> I notice that this does not happen on Sakai 12 QA server (
> https://qa2-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/portal) but it does happen on Sakai
> 11.4 QA Server (https://qa1-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/portal/). So I
> expect the fix is available but I cannot find one yet. Can anybody point me
> where I can find the fix?
>

> Here's how to reproduce the issue:
> As an instructor:
> 1) Create an Assessment with title
> 2) Select a question type as "Multiple Choice"
> 3) Enter answer point value: 1.5
> 4) Display points? yes
> 5) Choose the answer configuration: "Multiple Correct, Multiple Selection",
> "All or Nothing", and point deduced for incorrect answer: 0.75
> 6) add correct answers A thru G (mark all the responses as correct).
> 7) Randomize Answers: Yes and save the question
>
> As a student:
> take an exam and mark all the options as correct.
>
> This student has checked every response as she should and all her answers
> are marked as Green (indicate the correct answers), but she is getting the
> -0.75 points for getting the exam wrong rather than a 1.5 which she should
> get for the exam.
>
> In order to confirm this behavior, I create a new exam with A thru F
> correct answers (note: previously all answers are correct and now in this
> question there is one incorrect answer). This new exam works as expected.
>

> Please let me know where I can find the JIRA or fix for this issue.
>
> Best,

Re: [sakai-dev] Tests & Quizzes error: multiple choice multiple answers where all the responses are correct

FYI

The 11.x branch (post 11.4) includes:

139 fixed issues in the 11 branch compared to 11.4   - https://jira.sakaiproject.org/issues/?filter=16071
135 fixed issues in the merge queue - which means they are fixed and QA tested, but we would need a volunteer branch manager to get these fixes into 11.x (not likely to happen unless the community decides to have an 11.5 ) - https://jira.sakaiproject.org/issues/?filter=15650

So there are a lot of patches available for 11 !

Most/all of these fixes are in 12 and 13.

-- Neal

On 2018-02-02 10:37 PM, Sanghyun Jeon wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We are using Sakai 11.2 and we notice that error occurs on multiple choice
> question with multiple correct, multiple selection where ALL the responses
> were correct (faculty thought this is supposed to be a trick question, sort
> of)
> Student's answers are checked correctly (marked as Green), but the score is
> not correct.
> I notice that this does not happen on Sakai 12 QA server (
> https://qa2-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/portal) but it does happen on Sakai
> 11.4 QA Server (https://qa1-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org/portal/). So I
> expect the fix is available but I cannot find one yet. Can anybody point me
> where I can find the fix?
>

> Here's how to reproduce the issue:
> As an instructor:
> 1) Create an Assessment with title
> 2) Select a question type as "Multiple Choice"
> 3) Enter answer point value: 1.5
> 4) Display points? yes
> 5) Choose the answer configuration: "Multiple Correct, Multiple Selection",
> "All or Nothing", and point deduced for incorrect answer: 0.75
> 6) add correct answers A thru G (mark all the responses as correct).
> 7) Randomize Answers: Yes and save the question
>
> As a student:
> take an exam and mark all the options as correct.
>
> This student has checked every response as she should and all her answers
> are marked as Green (indicate the correct answers), but she is getting the
> -0.75 points for getting the exam wrong rather than a 1.5 which she should
> get for the exam.
>
> In order to confirm this behavior, I create a new exam with A thru F
> correct answers (note: previously all answers are correct and now in this
> question there is one incorrect answer). This new exam works as expected.
>

> Please let me know where I can find the JIRA or fix for this issue.
>
> Best,

Sanghyun S. Jeon Sanghyun S. Jeon

RE: [sakai-dev] Tests & Quizzes error: multiple choice multiple answers where all the responses are correct

Yes. I can tell, Neal. I am looking forward moving to 12.