[sakai-production] Re: [sakai-dev] Sakai server requirements advice

[sakai-production] Re: [sakai-dev] Sakai server requirements advice

We also have a "sakai-production" list which is more about these kinds of issues of hardware and configuration, so I'm looping in that list.

-- neal

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Diego del Blanco Orobitg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not a HW expert at all, but there is a key point in your mail that is very important. You say "At max, there will be 200 users connected simultaneously at most". Your design should be prepared to support the max. concurrency peak. Having 10000 or 100000 users is not so important as the number of concurrent ones.

If 200 users is the case and you are going to use 4 tomcat nodes with load balancing... IMO you are going to have more than enough with any of the proposals that you are describing.  With any of these configurations you surely would be able to support concurrency peaks over 2000 users!

Of course the better, the best... but in this scenario I think the cheaper one will be enough.

Anyway, I let any HW expert in the group to give to you more advice because maybe I'm missing something.

Regards

Diego del Blanco Orobitg
Sakai Tech Lead (UNICON)
Apereo LATAM Representative (Apereo Foundation)

Ph: <a href="tel:(480)%20521-8527" value="+14805218527" target="_blank">+1-480-521-8527

Hi all,
My question tonight is a bit technical and server related.
I have the choices between two servers to run VMWare on one of them.

The virtual machines are the different components of a production deployment of Sakai, not development.  Just hosting and production level for approximately 10000 users and some 500 worksites.

The VMs will be: mysql server, NFS server, smtp server, tomcat servers (4 nodes) 1nd a terracotta server for sessions replication.

The servers have the following in common :
1. RAM: 32 GB DDR4 ECC 2133 GHz
2. Hard Raid 1
3. 2x 2T Sata3 and 2x 480 GB SSD
4. Very stable network infrastructure

And here come the differences that I need your advice on:
1: 250 Mbps vs 500 Mbps bandwidth  (guaranteed bandwidth in both directionsIP and DOWN)
2: the CPU:
2.1: Intel Xeon D1520 (4c/8t), running at 2,2/2,6 GHz
2.2: Intel Xeon D1540 (8c/16t), running at 2,0/2,6 GHz
2.3: Intel Xeon E5 1630 v3 (4c/8t), running at 3,7/3,8 GHz
The Intel D1520 and D1540 have 250 Mbps bandwidth guaranteed up and down. While the Xeon E5 1630 v3 has 500 Mbps bandwidth guaranteed up and down.

There will be approximately 6 VMs.

Can you please help me decide on the server to choose?

At max, there will be 200 users connected simultaneously at most.

Thank you so much for taking time to read this.

Yours,

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content
, and is believed to be clean.