[sakai2-tcc] For Discussion - Community Survey - alpha

[sakai2-tcc] For Discussion - Community Survey - alpha

Hi TCC,

The purpose of the survey is to determine what strategies could be used to increase community participation. Is this something you (TCC) would like to support? Is this the purpose/goal the right goal?  Is this the right set of questions to ask?

Note: I also came up with the idea of a Community Outreach committee mentioned in the survey, which is based at least partly on discussions with Alan Berg and Mustansar Mehmood of Rice.

Thoughts?

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
Skype: nealkdin
Twitter: ncaidin

Bryan Holladay Bryan Holladay

Re: [sakai2-tcc] For Discussion - Community Survey - alpha

Another thought.

We should ask potential contributors (all types, not just dev) what they need in order to participate more fully (or at all):

* training sessions or orientation sessions (the difference can be nuanced)
* direct requests for help (vs over email groups )
* mentoring
* beer
* clearer understanding of community needs/processes
* a quick list they can look at and see what they can take (low hanging bug fixes, etc)

Something like that.

-- Neal

Neal Caidin

On Sep 23, 2013, at 3:13 PM, Neal Caidin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

And yet another thought.

What if we had a question about motivation? Sometimes remembering why you do something, reconnecting with your motivation, can be well, uhmm… motivating. And help potentially build a business case as well, for your institution.

Q: What are the primary motivations you have for contributing to the Sakai project? Feel free to choose more than one.

Answers:
* So that local changes make it back into the core product
* To keep up-to-date with the latest changes coming from Sakai in the near future.
* So we can merge existing patches and fixes to our local copy of Sakai
* To influence the direction of the project
* To collaborate with peer institutions
* To promote the sustainability of Sakai, so that it will be relevant and useful for many years to come
* To give back to the community, since we get so much from Sakai

etc. (wording subject to change, but just to share some ideas).

We would be getting up to 9 or 10 questions and probably would not want to go any further.  This should be a quick and easy survey to complete. Also thinking we should explicitly allow more than one person per institution to take this survey, since diverse viewpoints, and individual connections, could be valuable.