[sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

Jean-Francois Leveque Jean-Francois Leveque

[sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

Hi,

Is hybrid not needed anymore or am I wrong making this assumption?

J-F
Sam Ottenhoff Sam Ottenhoff

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

Not needed.  Feel free to remove it from trunk .externals and pom.xml.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Jean-Francois Leveque <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is hybrid not needed anymore or am I wrong making this assumption?

J-F
Berg, Alan Berg, Alan

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

We should not do that without reaching out to OAE and see if there is any roadmap intersection.

Lets communicate as we become PMC and discover potential empowerments with other projects or not. At least put the fingers out.

Regards Alan,

Sent from somewhere interesting via a Mobile device.

Matthew Jones-2 Matthew Jones-2

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

The response back in April from Nico to Steve was that

"I'd be very surprised if the tool embedding strategy would become a priority again. Going forward, I think it's more likely that we'd look at REST API-level integration or shared data services (shared content data, shared profile data, etc.) where it would make sense, but again, this is currently not a short or medium term priority and is a technically more challenging effort."

It hasn't been updated in almost 2 years, so in any case it doesn't do anything unless you're trying to do something with the old OAE.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Berg, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:
We should not do that without reaching out to OAE and see if there is any roadmap intersection.

Lets communicate as we become PMC and discover potential empowerments with other projects or not. At least put the fingers out.

Regards Alan,

Sent from somewhere interesting via a Mobile device.

Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

Seems OK but I believe the current OAE does not do anything with
hybrid. We should confirm this but I believe it only integrates with
the abandoned OAE codebase and not the new one.
-AZ

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Berg, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We should not do that without reaching out to OAE and see if there is any
> roadmap intersection.
>
> Lets communicate as we become PMC and discover potential empowerments with
> other projects or not. At least put the fingers out.
>

> Regards Alan,
>
> Sent from somewhere interesting via a Mobile device.

Berg, Alan Berg, Alan

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

We should try and be flexible. I suspect OAE's priorities will change as it becomes more popular again. The new technological stack is rock solid (if limited). I would expect an uptake with changing requirements. We/they might not want to burn their bridges until they have to. To help a fellow project, we should do due diligence and ask them.

I suspect that Sam is right, but as we move to PMC we need to be open to influence from fellow community source projects on our strategy.

Regards,
           Alan

Alan Berg

Innovation working group
On the use of ICT in Education & Research
University of Amsterdam

Seems OK but I believe the current OAE does not do anything with
hybrid. We should confirm this but I believe it only integrates with
the abandoned OAE codebase and not the new one.
-AZ

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Berg, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We should not do that without reaching out to OAE and see if there is any
> roadmap intersection.
>
> Lets communicate as we become PMC and discover potential empowerments with
> other projects or not. At least put the fingers out.
>

> Regards Alan,
>
> Sent from somewhere interesting via a Mobile device.

Berg, Alan Berg, Alan

Correct. The Hybrid-related code in trunk only supports the old back-end and is not used by the Hilary back-end. I'm happy with this being removed from trunk, as any potential future integrations will probably be at the REST endpoint level or will end up using out-of-the-box BasicLTI.

Thanks for checking,
Nicolaas

On 5 Sep 2013, at 15:46, Aaron Zeckoski wrote:

> Seems OK but I believe the current OAE does not do anything with
> hybrid. We should confirm this but I believe it only integrates with
> the abandoned OAE codebase and not the new one.
> -AZ
>
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Berg, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We should not do that without reaching out to OAE and see if there is any
>> roadmap intersection.
>>
>> Lets communicate as we become PMC and discover potential empowerments with
>> other projects or not. At least put the fingers out.
>>

>> Regards Alan,
>>
>> Sent from somewhere interesting via a Mobile device.

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

On Sep 5, 2013, at 7:10 PM, Steve Swinsburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Correct, this is for one of the older OAE code bases. Pull it. The code will be in SVN if people want to resurrect it or out it in their own installs, but there is no need to continue to include deprecated and unused code in the CLE.

At this point it is not maintained, not testable, and effectively a security hole waiting to happen if we just leave the latent untested, unreviewed, and unmaintained code lying around on all the Sakai production servers in the world.

It is easily resurrected if the need arises.

/Chuck

Jean-Francois Leveque Jean-Francois Leveque

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

I don't mind doing the work. Just to be sure, here's what I think this
means:
- remove it from trunk .externals and pom.xml. (as Sam wrote)
- remove
login/login-tool/tool/src/test/org/sakaiproject/login/filter/NakamuraAuthenticationFilterTest.java
- remove
login/login-tool/tool/src/java/org/sakaiproject/login/filter/NakamuraAuthenticationFilter.java
- remove providers/hybrid

This works for my 2.8 build so I think it won't break trunk.

How do we communicate about this?

J-F

On 06/09/2013 01:55, Charles Severance wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2013, at 7:10 PM, Steve Swinsburg <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Correct, this is for one of the older OAE code bases. Pull it. The
>> code will be in SVN if people want to resurrect it or out it in their
>> own installs, but there is no need to continue to include deprecated
>> and unused code in the CLE.
>
> At this point it is not maintained, not testable, and effectively a
> security hole waiting to happen if we just leave the latent untested,
> unreviewed, and unmaintained code lying around on all the Sakai
> production servers in the world.
>
> It is easily resurrected if the need arises.
>
> /Chuck

Sam Ottenhoff Sam Ottenhoff

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

I am attempting to remove these items now from trunk.  Does anyone know if kernel/api/src/main/java/org/sakaiproject/util/TrustedLoginFilter.java is still needed in a post-hybrid world?

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM, Jean-Francois Leveque <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't mind doing the work. Just to be sure, here's what I think this
means:
- remove it from trunk .externals and pom.xml. (as Sam wrote)
- remove
login/login-tool/tool/src/test/org/sakaiproject/login/filter/NakamuraAuthenticationFilterTest.java
- remove
login/login-tool/tool/src/java/org/sakaiproject/login/filter/NakamuraAuthenticationFilter.java
- remove providers/hybrid

This works for my 2.8 build so I think it won't break trunk.

How do we communicate about this?

J-F

On 06/09/2013 01:55, Charles Severance wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2013, at 7:10 PM, Steve Swinsburg <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Correct, this is for one of the older OAE code bases. Pull it. The
>> code will be in SVN if people want to resurrect it or out it in their
>> own installs, but there is no need to continue to include deprecated
>> and unused code in the CLE.
>
> At this point it is not maintained, not testable, and effectively a
> security hole waiting to happen if we just leave the latent untested,
> unreviewed, and unmaintained code lying around on all the Sakai
> production servers in the world.
>
> It is easily resurrected if the need arises.
>
> /Chuck
John Bush-4 John Bush-4

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

If no one has a strong feeling one way or the other, I'd prefer we
keep this one.  This is actually a handy way to be able to pair
systems and do logins.  We used it once in a non-hybrid world for
integration with a system other than oae.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Sam Ottenhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am attempting to remove these items now from trunk.  Does anyone know if
> kernel/api/src/main/java/org/sakaiproject/util/TrustedLoginFilter.java is
> still needed in a post-hybrid world?
>

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM, Jean-Francois Leveque
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't mind doing the work. Just to be sure, here's what I think this
>> means:
>> - remove it from trunk .externals and pom.xml. (as Sam wrote)
>> - remove
>>
>> login/login-tool/tool/src/test/org/sakaiproject/login/filter/NakamuraAuthenticationFilterTest.java
>> - remove
>>
>> login/login-tool/tool/src/java/org/sakaiproject/login/filter/NakamuraAuthenticationFilter.java
>> - remove providers/hybrid
>>
>> This works for my 2.8 build so I think it won't break trunk.
>>
>> How do we communicate about this?
>>
>> J-F
>>
>> On 06/09/2013 01:55, Charles Severance wrote:

>> > At this point it is not maintained, not testable, and effectively a
>> > security hole waiting to happen if we just leave the latent untested,
>> > unreviewed, and unmaintained code lying around on all the Sakai
>> > production servers in the world.
>> >
>> > It is easily resurrected if the need arises.
>> >
>> > /Chuck

John Bush
602-490-0470

** This message is neither private nor confidential in fact the US
government is storing it in a warehouse located in Utah for future
data mining use cases should they arise. **
Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

If you mean TrustedLoginFilter I believe we are keeping that.
Hybrid is already removed at this point.
-AZ

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If no one has a strong feeling one way or the other, I'd prefer we
> keep this one.  This is actually a handy way to be able to pair
> systems and do logins.  We used it once in a non-hybrid world for
> integration with a system other than oae.
>
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Sam Ottenhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am attempting to remove these items now from trunk.  Does anyone know if
>> kernel/api/src/main/java/org/sakaiproject/util/TrustedLoginFilter.java is
>> still needed in a post-hybrid world?
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM, Jean-Francois Leveque
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't mind doing the work. Just to be sure, here's what I think this
>>> means:
>>> - remove it from trunk .externals and pom.xml. (as Sam wrote)
>>> - remove
>>>
>>> login/login-tool/tool/src/test/org/sakaiproject/login/filter/NakamuraAuthenticationFilterTest.java
>>> - remove
>>>
>>> login/login-tool/tool/src/java/org/sakaiproject/login/filter/NakamuraAuthenticationFilter.java
>>> - remove providers/hybrid
>>>
>>> This works for my 2.8 build so I think it won't break trunk.
>>>
>>> How do we communicate about this?
>>>
>>> J-F

> John Bush
> 602-490-0470
>
> ** This message is neither private nor confidential in fact the US
> government is storing it in a warehouse located in Utah for future
> data mining use cases should they arise. **

Sam Ottenhoff Sam Ottenhoff

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

Yes, I left kernel/TrustedLoginFilter untouched.  If I removed anything in the login project that you think should remain, let me know.

--Sam

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you mean TrustedLoginFilter I believe we are keeping that.
Hybrid is already removed at this point.
-AZ

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If no one has a strong feeling one way or the other, I'd prefer we
> keep this one.  This is actually a handy way to be able to pair
> systems and do logins.  We used it once in a non-hybrid world for
> integration with a system other than oae.
>
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Sam Ottenhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am attempting to remove these items now from trunk.  Does anyone know if
>> kernel/api/src/main/java/org/sakaiproject/util/TrustedLoginFilter.java is
>> still needed in a post-hybrid world?
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM, Jean-Francois Leveque
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't mind doing the work. Just to be sure, here's what I think this
>>> means:
>>> - remove it from trunk .externals and pom.xml. (as Sam wrote)
>>> - remove
>>>
>>> login/login-tool/tool/src/test/org/sakaiproject/login/filter/NakamuraAuthenticationFilterTest.java
>>> - remove
>>>
>>> login/login-tool/tool/src/java/org/sakaiproject/login/filter/NakamuraAuthenticationFilter.java
>>> - remove providers/hybrid
>>>
>>> This works for my 2.8 build so I think it won't break trunk.
>>>
>>> How do we communicate about this?
>>>
>>> J-F

> John Bush
> 602-490-0470
>
> ** This message is neither private nor confidential in fact the US
> government is storing it in a warehouse located in Utah for future
> data mining use cases should they arise. **

John Bush-4 John Bush-4

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Hybrid and 2.10

Great