[sakai2-tcc] PROPOSAL: Apereo Sakai Governance: Sakai Project Management Committee (VOTE required)

Anthony Whyte Anthony Whyte

[sakai2-tcc] PROPOSAL: Apereo Sakai Governance: Sakai Project Management Committee (VOTE required)

Ian Dolphin has encouraged the TCC to apply to the Apereo Foundation Board of Directors in order to be recognized as the governance body for the Sakai software community.  A proposal has been drafted in response to Ian's request and TCC membership approval is required as a prerequisite before we approach the Apereo board seeking formal recognition (see proposal below).

Voting is now OPEN and will conclude no later than Friday, 16 August 2013, 23:59 UTC.

As a reminder, this is a public, on-list vote with a "+1" signifying approval. Per our governance documents, a -1 vote must be accompanied by a detailed explanation. A single -1 vote based on a material objection will block action. However, -1 blocking votes can be overridden by a 2/3 majority roll call vote of active TCC members.

Cheers,

Anth

_______________________________________

Proposal
Apereo Sakai Governance
Sakai Project Management Committee

The Sakai CLE Technical Coordination Committee (TCC) was created in July 2010 to work with existing community groups and processes to provide technical direction, advice, and coordination that both nurtures and enhances the Sakai ecosystem. Inspired directly by the model of the Apache Software Foundation's Project Management Committee (PMC), the TCC established for itself a lightweight governance model based on the meritocratic principle of member selection and featuring consensus-based decision-making practiced in an open and transparent manner. [1] Since its formation, the TCC has operated as the CLE project's de facto management committee in all respects save formal recognition by the Sakai or Apereo Foundation boards.

As part of the Sakai-Jasig merger and the creation of the Apereo Foundation, a new governance model was established for "software communities" comprising the new organization. Article IX, Section 3 of the Apereo bylaws specify that each software community “may adopt rules for its own governance provided they are consistent with these bylaws and with any policy adopted by the Board of Directors.” Article IX, Section 3 further specifies that “Community governance structures will be responsible for strategic, financial and operational oversight of the community, including adherence to overall Foundation licensing and intellectual property policies.” In addition, Article IX, Section 4 requires that the Apereo Foundation’s Executive Director serve as a non-voting ex-officio member of “a constituent community’s strategic governance body, in order to ensure effective and robust liaison with the broader community.” [2]

In line with this change in governance, we propose that the Apereo Board recognize the TCC as the Sakai software community's "strategic governance body" as described of the Foundation bylaws. In addition, we intend to rename the TCC to the Sakai Project Management Committee in order to both acknowledge the influence of the ASF in our governance approach and also allay fears that technical issues will constitute our only concerns as a governing body.

The current active TCC membership as well as its ex-officio and emeritus members are listed below. TCC governance rules covering membership, member roles and responsibilities, voting and elections are documented in the Sakai community wiki. [3]

Sakai PMC Members

Anthony Whyte (chair)
Seth Theriault (vice-chair)
Alan Berg
Noah Botimer
Matthew Buckett
John Bush
David Horwitz
Matt Jones
Beth Kirschner
Jean-François Lévêque
Megan May
Sam Ottenhoff
Charles Severance
Steve Swinsburg
Aaron Zeckoski

Ian Dolphin, ex-officio

John Lewis, emeritus

_____________________________
[3] https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+Governance

anthony whyte | its and mlibrary | university of michigan | [hidden email] | 517-980-0228

Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: [sakai2-tcc] PROPOSAL: Apereo Sakai Governance: Sakai Project Management Committee (VOTE required)

+1
-AZ

Sam Ottenhoff Sam Ottenhoff

Re: [sakai2-tcc] PROPOSAL: Apereo Sakai Governance: Sakai Project Management Committee (VOTE required)

+1

--Sam

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Noah Botimer Noah Botimer

John Bush-4 John Bush-4

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Anthony Whyte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Alan Berg
> Noah Botimer
> Matthew Buckett
> John Bush
> David Horwitz
> Matt Jones
> Beth Kirschner
> Jean-François Lévêque
> Megan May
> Sam Ottenhoff
> Charles Severance
> Steve Swinsburg
> Aaron Zeckoski
>
> Ian Dolphin, ex-officio
>
> John Lewis, emeritus
>
> _____________________________
> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html,
> http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html
> [2] http://www.apereo.org/content/bylaws
> [3] https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+Governance
>

> anthony whyte | its and mlibrary | university of michigan |

John Bush
602-490-0470

** This message is neither private nor confidential in fact the US
government is storing it in a warehouse located in Utah for future
data mining use cases should they arise. **

Seth Theriault Seth Theriault

Re: [sakai2-tcc] PROPOSAL: Apereo Sakai Governance: Sakai Project Management Committee (VOTE required)

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Anthony Whyte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ian Dolphin has encouraged the TCC to apply to the Apereo Foundation Board
> of Directors in order to be recognized as the governance body for the Sakai
> software community.  A proposal has been drafted in response to Ian's
> request and TCC membership approval is required as a prerequisite before we
> approach the Apereo board seeking formal recognition (see proposal below).

+1.

Seth
Berg, Alan Berg, Alan

Re: [sakai2-tcc] PROPOSAL: Apereo Sakai Governance: Sakai Project Management Committee (VOTE required)

+0.

* Agree with the end goal.
* Prefer TCC to PMC first.
* No need for a minus vote as the clear majority of the TCC have already voted positively

Regards,
           Alan

Alan Berg

Innovation working group
On the use of ICT in Education & Research
University of Amsterdam

Matthew Buckett-2 Matthew Buckett-2

On 13 August 2013 19:11, Anthony Whyte <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford

May, Megan Marie May, Megan Marie

Re: [sakai2-tcc] PROPOSAL: Apereo Sakai Governance: Sakai Project Management Committee (VOTE required)

+1

Matthew Jones-2 Matthew Jones-2

Re: [sakai2-tcc] PROPOSAL: Apereo Sakai Governance: Sakai Project Management Committee (VOTE required)

I'm going to +0 as well for essentially the same reasons as Alan though I do slightly prefer PMC over TCC. I don't like the "technical" part of TCC but I also don't like the "management" part of PMC, but that is something that is already established in ASF.

[...]

anthony whyte | its and mlibrary | university of michigan | [hidden email] | <a href="tel:517-980-0228" value="+15179800228" target="_blank">517-980-0228

Anthony Whyte Anthony Whyte

[sakai2-tcc] PROPOSAL: Apereo Sakai Governance: Sakai PMC (voting ENDS today)

Polls close on the Apereo Sakai Governance proposal later today, Friday, 16 August 2013, 23:59 UTC.

Public votes are tallied at

Cheers,

Anth

P.S.  I've added a date column to the voting summary page

anthony whyte | its and mlibrary | university of michigan | [hidden email] | 517-980-0228

Begin forwarded message:

Kirschner, Beth Kirschner, Beth

> [...]

> Alan Berg
> Noah Botimer
> Matthew Buckett
> John Bush
> David Horwitz
> Matt Jones
> Beth Kirschner
> Jean-François Lévêque
> Megan May
> Sam Ottenhoff
> Charles Severance
> Steve Swinsburg
> Aaron Zeckoski
>
> Ian Dolphin, ex-officio
>
> John Lewis, emeritus
>
> _____________________________
> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html, http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html
> [2] http://www.apereo.org/content/bylaws
> [3] https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+Governance
>

> anthony whyte | its and mlibrary | university of michigan | [hidden email] | 517-980-0228

[sakai2-tcc] Proposal: Apereo Sakai Governance: Sakai Project Management Committee (Approved)

The Apereo Sakai Governance proposal has been approved by a vote of the TCC.  Votes cast are as follows:

In favor = 11
Abstained = 2
Opposed = 0

Seth and I will discuss with Ian Dolphin next steps in the recognition process.

Cheers,

Anth