[sakai2-tcc] Policy - naming of Contrib tools

[sakai2-tcc] Policy - naming of Contrib tools

Also coming out of the discussion of https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items

 Frustration expressed around naming of Contrib tools in the community that look like a sequel to an existing tool before that has been decided. Assignments2 and Gradebook2 are the examples (are there other tools with this kind of naming)?

Would it make sense for the TCC / PMC to have a policy that Contrib tools not be named as a sequential, by default, name?

Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
Skype: nealkdin
Twitter: ncaidin

May, Megan Marie-2 May, Megan Marie-2

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Policy - naming of Contrib tools

No policy in contrib.  It’s a space that was made available so institutions can share code.

I can tell you that IU will *not* be spending time renaming A2.

Megan

markjnorton markjnorton

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Policy - naming of Contrib tools

>  Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

The Sakai community is already familiar with Gradebook2 and Assignment2.  Changing those names at this point is likely to cause more problems than solve.  Yeah, it makes sense to avoid this in the future, but these should be grandfathered in.

- Mark

On 9/12/2013 2:45 PM, Neal Caidin wrote:

Also coming out of the discussion of https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items

 Frustration expressed around naming of Contrib tools in the community that look like a sequel to an existing tool before that has been decided. Assignments2 and Gradebook2 are the examples (are there other tools with this kind of naming)?

Would it make sense for the TCC / PMC to have a policy that Contrib tools not be named as a sequential, by default, name?

Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
Skype: nealkdin
Twitter: ncaidin

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Policy - naming of Contrib tools

Rather than a policy in contrib, have a policy for core. So if a contrib tool is promoted to core and it has a name like Tool2 or ToolWow, and the name isn't great, it's name changes at that point. This could also be part of the incubation process - checking the name of the project for legal or other issues. This happened for TinyUrl which is now ShortenedUrlService.

cheers,
Steve

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Mark J. Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

The Sakai community is already familiar with Gradebook2 and Assignment2.  Changing those names at this point is likely to cause more problems than solve.  Yeah, it makes sense to avoid this in the future, but these should be grandfathered in.

- Mark

On 9/12/2013 2:45 PM, Neal Caidin wrote:

Also coming out of the discussion of https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items

 Frustration expressed around naming of Contrib tools in the community that look like a sequel to an existing tool before that has been decided. Assignments2 and Gradebook2 are the examples (are there other tools with this kind of naming)?

Would it make sense for the TCC / PMC to have a policy that Contrib tools not be named as a sequential, by default, name?

Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
Skype: nealkdin
Twitter: ncaidin

markjnorton markjnorton

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Policy - naming of Contrib tools

Still, what would you call Gradebook2 or Assignment2?  These were intended to be logical successors to the tools they replaced.

- Mark

On 9/12/2013 8:50 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:
Rather than a policy in contrib, have a policy for core. So if a contrib tool is promoted to core and it has a name like Tool2 or ToolWow, and the name isn't great, it's name changes at that point. This could also be part of the incubation process - checking the name of the project for legal or other issues. This happened for TinyUrl which is now ShortenedUrlService.

cheers,
Steve

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Mark J. Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

The Sakai community is already familiar with Gradebook2 and Assignment2.  Changing those names at this point is likely to cause more problems than solve.  Yeah, it makes sense to avoid this in the future, but these should be grandfathered in.

- Mark

On 9/12/2013 2:45 PM, Neal Caidin wrote:

Also coming out of the discussion of https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items

 Frustration expressed around naming of Contrib tools in the community that look like a sequel to an existing tool before that has been decided. Assignments2 and Gradebook2 are the examples (are there other tools with this kind of naming)?

Would it make sense for the TCC / PMC to have a policy that Contrib tools not be named as a sequential, by default, name?

Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
Skype: nealkdin
Twitter: ncaidin

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Policy - naming of Contrib tools

If the name fits and is logical then it stays. Gradebook2 is quite a bit different to Gradebook classique in both UI, features and technology, so if it ever went to core it could be called Grades or something, maybe.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Mark J. Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Still, what would you call Gradebook2 or Assignment2?  These were intended to be logical successors to the tools they replaced.

- Mark

On 9/12/2013 8:50 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:
Rather than a policy in contrib, have a policy for core. So if a contrib tool is promoted to core and it has a name like Tool2 or ToolWow, and the name isn't great, it's name changes at that point. This could also be part of the incubation process - checking the name of the project for legal or other issues. This happened for TinyUrl which is now ShortenedUrlService.

cheers,
Steve

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Mark J. Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

The Sakai community is already familiar with Gradebook2 and Assignment2.  Changing those names at this point is likely to cause more problems than solve.  Yeah, it makes sense to avoid this in the future, but these should be grandfathered in.

- Mark

On 9/12/2013 2:45 PM, Neal Caidin wrote:

Also coming out of the discussion of https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items

 Frustration expressed around naming of Contrib tools in the community that look like a sequel to an existing tool before that has been decided. Assignments2 and Gradebook2 are the examples (are there other tools with this kind of naming)?

Would it make sense for the TCC / PMC to have a policy that Contrib tools not be named as a sequential, by default, name?

Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
Skype: nealkdin
Twitter: ncaidin

Anthony Whyte Anthony Whyte

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Policy - naming of Contrib tools

For the record, SVN contrib can be gated any way the community sees fit.  However, attempting to legislate a "contrib" naming policy is both impractical and now largely futile.  Our contrib repo's best days are in the past.  New projects will most likely set themselves up on Github or Bitbucket or some other cloud revision control service--places we don't control and places, thankfully, where nobody gets told what they can or can't name their project (trademarked names excepted).

Our legislative writ ends at the borders of our core distribution and the Apereo incubation process.  Outside those boundaries, the best we can do as regards policy enforcement is educate, encourage, advise, remind, warn, perhaps cajole.

However much it might annoy or confuse, if someone outside core or incubation is determined to declare themselves and their code the next generation of Sakai by naming their project x2 or x3 or xWhatever, it just ain't our say.

anthony whyte | its and mlibrary | university of michigan | [hidden email] | 517-980-0228

On Sep 12, 2013, at 8:59 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

If the name fits and is logical then it stays. Gradebook2 is quite a bit different to Gradebook classique in both UI, features and technology, so if it ever went to core it could be called Grades or something, maybe.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Mark J. Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Still, what would you call Gradebook2 or Assignment2?  These were intended to be logical successors to the tools they replaced.

- Mark

On 9/12/2013 8:50 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:
Rather than a policy in contrib, have a policy for core. So if a contrib tool is promoted to core and it has a name like Tool2 or ToolWow, and the name isn't great, it's name changes at that point. This could also be part of the incubation process - checking the name of the project for legal or other issues. This happened for TinyUrl which is now ShortenedUrlService.

cheers,
Steve

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Mark J. Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

The Sakai community is already familiar with Gradebook2 and Assignment2.  Changing those names at this point is likely to cause more problems than solve.  Yeah, it makes sense to avoid this in the future, but these should be grandfathered in.

- Mark

On 9/12/2013 2:45 PM, Neal Caidin wrote:

Also coming out of the discussion of https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items

 Frustration expressed around naming of Contrib tools in the community that look like a sequel to an existing tool before that has been decided. Assignments2 and Gradebook2 are the examples (are there other tools with this kind of naming)?

Would it make sense for the TCC / PMC to have a policy that Contrib tools not be named as a sequential, by default, name?

Would the TCC/PMC like to request for the existing tools to be renamed so that it does not cause so much confusion in the community (many assume that these are the next generation tools to which they should look to upgrade)?

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
Skype: nealkdin
Twitter: ncaidin

Jean-Francois Leveque Jean-Francois Leveque

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Policy - naming of Contrib tools

We could replace 2 with Too. ;-)