[sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

12

[sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

From the TCC - CLECC call - https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items

For the folks on the call, there was consensus that Roster2 should replace Roster for 2.10/trunk.

Steve Swinsburg says this is not a lot of work to make happen.

Consensus on this one?

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
Skype: nealkdin
Twitter: ncaidin

May, Megan Marie-2 May, Megan Marie-2

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

I don’t see rationale in the notes.   Can you please provide something substantial for those of us not on the call?

Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

Those notes were from the conference back in June and have just been
slightly reorganized. I am not sure who proposed replacing roster with
roster 2 but maybe that person can add the reasoning. I am not aware
of anything myself.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM, May, Megan Marie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don’t see rationale in the notes.   Can you please provide something
> substantial for those of us not on the call?

I proposed it years ago. Better integration, better support, more features, same UI as old roster tool.

Sent from my iPad

On 13/09/2013, at 23:45, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Those notes were from the conference back in June and have just been
> slightly reorganized. I am not sure who proposed replacing roster with
> roster 2 but maybe that person can add the reasoning. I am not aware
> of anything myself.
>
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM, May, Megan Marie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don’t see rationale in the notes.   Can you please provide something
>> substantial for those of us not on the call?

John Bush-4 John Bush-4

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

There's at least one thing I'd like to see addressed.

https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/roster2/trunk/roster-app/src/webapp/roster-translations-ca.js

I don't find that an acceptable way of doing localization.  Its not
consistent with the rest of Sakai, and it won't work with the dynamic
manipulation of bundles.  It makes it harder for anyone who is used to
working with properties to maintain this stuff, since tools won't
support this arbitrary js format.

It easy to address, I had to do it for gb2.  You need to just create a
servlet that loads this the data from the ResourceLoader and then
transforms it into your javascript format.

Also, I'd like verification that there aren't any FERPA issues
introduced.   I see https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/RSTR-16, but
its worth asking just to be sure.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Steve Swinsburg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I proposed it years ago. Better integration, better support, more features, same UI as old roster tool.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 13/09/2013, at 23:45, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Those notes were from the conference back in June and have just been
>> slightly reorganized. I am not sure who proposed replacing roster with
>> roster 2 but maybe that person can add the reasoning. I am not aware
>> of anything myself.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM, May, Megan Marie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I don’t see rationale in the notes.   Can you please provide something
>>> substantial for those of us not on the call?

John Bush
602-490-0470

** This message is neither private nor confidential in fact the US
government is storing it in a warehouse located in Utah for future
data mining use cases should they arise. **
Adrian Fish-2 Adrian Fish-2

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

There's also jquery's way:

It uses standard java property files so translations can handled with the same tools. It doesn't solve the dynamic updating of i18n props though. How important is that though? How often do people actually need to dynamically update translations, and is it worth the overhead of hitting the db or cache to get them?

Cheers,
Adrian.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I proposed it years ago. Better integration, better support, more features, same UI as old roster tool.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 13/09/2013, at 23:45, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Those notes were from the conference back in June and have just been
>> slightly reorganized. I am not sure who proposed replacing roster with
>> roster 2 but maybe that person can add the reasoning. I am not aware
>> of anything myself.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM, May, Megan Marie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I don’t see rationale in the notes.   Can you please provide something
>>> substantial for those of us not on the call?

Matthew Jones-2 Matthew Jones-2

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

This was the same (and really only issue) I had with the date picker. https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23662

What the implementation there did was use a maven plugin to create i18n specific js files rather than use the internal Sakai system, so like you said it's inconsistent.

I was wondering if it would be easier to just write a simple direct point with custom actions for i18n.so we don't have to keep rewriting this?

Would something like this work? Then the i18n files would just have to be deployed in the usual place.

/direct/i18n/string/bundleName/key (GET)  -- Returns a specific string json/xml/html encoded

getString(bundleName,key) {
  return ResourceBundle.getBundle(bundleName, getUserPreferredLocale()).getString(key);
}

/direct/i18n/bundle/bundleName (GET) -- Returns all strings in the bundle json/xml/html encoded

getBundle(bundleName) {

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I proposed it years ago. Better integration, better support, more features, same UI as old roster tool.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 13/09/2013, at 23:45, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Those notes were from the conference back in June and have just been
>> slightly reorganized. I am not sure who proposed replacing roster with
>> roster 2 but maybe that person can add the reasoning. I am not aware
>> of anything myself.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM, May, Megan Marie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I don’t see rationale in the notes.   Can you please provide something
>>> substantial for those of us not on the call?

John Bush-4 John Bush-4

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

For me its crucial, its not just the dynamic part of it, its the fact
you can load in new translations at runtime, and do it from one
source, instead of managing 180 bundle files and rebuilding...

We have for example a client in the military that is translating sakai
into every know arabic language (you know all the places the US has
guns), its virtually impossible to do that for 10 dialects if you have
to manage that with out this functionality.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's also jquery's way:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/jquery-i18n-properties
>
> It uses standard java property files so translations can handled with the
> same tools. It doesn't solve the dynamic updating of i18n props though. How
> important is that though? How often do people actually need to dynamically
> update translations, and is it worth the overhead of hitting the db or cache
> to get them?
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian.
>

> On 13 September 2013 15:10, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There's at least one thing I'd like to see addressed.
>>

>> https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/roster2/trunk/roster-app/src/webapp/roster-translations-ca.js
>>
>> I don't find that an acceptable way of doing localization.  Its not
>> consistent with the rest of Sakai, and it won't work with the dynamic
>> manipulation of bundles.  It makes it harder for anyone who is used to
>> working with properties to maintain this stuff, since tools won't
>> support this arbitrary js format.
>>
>> It easy to address, I had to do it for gb2.  You need to just create a
>> servlet that loads this the data from the ResourceLoader and then
>> transforms it into your javascript format.
>>
>> Also, I'd like verification that there aren't any FERPA issues
>> introduced.   I see https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/RSTR-16, but
>> its worth asking just to be sure.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Steve Swinsburg
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I proposed it years ago. Better integration, better support, more
>> > features, same UI as old roster tool.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Sent from my iPad

We are making heavy use of the dynamic translations. If you're just one school, maybe it's not a huge time saver but it is for managing dozens. Still the flexibility it gives for a single school (being able to put up a clarifications, warnings or new information immediately) is pretty great. It saves on a lot of code changes, keeping custom forks up dated and providing much quicker fixes. Even though there was a bug where it was going to the DB a lot more than expected (soon to be fixed in 2.9.x SAK-23887), it was still worth it to save on the code changes/redeploys. So i'd say having this feature consistent for everything is a good thing.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I proposed it years ago. Better integration, better support, more features, same UI as old roster tool.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 13/09/2013, at 23:45, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Those notes were from the conference back in June and have just been
>> slightly reorganized. I am not sure who proposed replacing roster with
>> roster 2 but maybe that person can add the reasoning. I am not aware
>> of anything myself.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM, May, Megan Marie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I don’t see rationale in the notes.   Can you please provide something
>>> substantial for those of us not on the call?

John Bush-4 John Bush-4

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

Right that is the other benefit, anyone who just talks in English and
wants to change the instructional text on the site editor page...
Problem solved.  Without that you end with forked nightmares, been
there done that.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Matthew Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are making heavy use of the dynamic translations. If you're just one
> school, maybe it's not a huge time saver but it is for managing dozens.
> Still the flexibility it gives for a single school (being able to put up a
> clarifications, warnings or new information immediately) is pretty great. It
> saves on a lot of code changes, keeping custom forks up dated and providing
> much quicker fixes. Even though there was a bug where it was going to the DB
> a lot more than expected (soon to be fixed in 2.9.x SAK-23887), it was still
> worth it to save on the code changes/redeploys. So i'd say having this
> feature consistent for everything is a good thing.
>

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> There's also jquery's way:
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/jquery-i18n-properties
>>
>> It uses standard java property files so translations can handled with the
>> same tools. It doesn't solve the dynamic updating of i18n props though. How
>> important is that though? How often do people actually need to dynamically
>> update translations, and is it worth the overhead of hitting the db or cache
>> to get them?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian.
>>

>> On 13 September 2013 15:10, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> There's at least one thing I'd like to see addressed.
>>>

>>> https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/roster2/trunk/roster-app/src/webapp/roster-translations-ca.js
>>>
>>> I don't find that an acceptable way of doing localization.  Its not
>>> consistent with the rest of Sakai, and it won't work with the dynamic
>>> manipulation of bundles.  It makes it harder for anyone who is used to
>>> working with properties to maintain this stuff, since tools won't
>>> support this arbitrary js format.
>>>
>>> It easy to address, I had to do it for gb2.  You need to just create a
>>> servlet that loads this the data from the ResourceLoader and then
>>> transforms it into your javascript format.
>>>
>>> Also, I'd like verification that there aren't any FERPA issues
>>> introduced.   I see https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/RSTR-16, but
>>> its worth asking just to be sure.

Adrian Fish-2 Adrian Fish-2

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

Alright, already ... :)

If it's not JIRA'd, could one of you fine fellows raise a ticket? I like Matthew's generic REST target idea; it does sound like people have done this a couple of ways, so standardising going forward makes sense.

Cheers,
Adrian.

On 13 September 2013 15:35, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
Right that is the other benefit, anyone who just talks in English and
wants to change the instructional text on the site editor page...
Problem solved.  Without that you end with forked nightmares, been
there done that.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Matthew Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are making heavy use of the dynamic translations. If you're just one
> school, maybe it's not a huge time saver but it is for managing dozens.
> Still the flexibility it gives for a single school (being able to put up a
> clarifications, warnings or new information immediately) is pretty great. It
> saves on a lot of code changes, keeping custom forks up dated and providing
> much quicker fixes. Even though there was a bug where it was going to the DB
> a lot more than expected (soon to be fixed in 2.9.x SAK-23887), it was still
> worth it to save on the code changes/redeploys. So i'd say having this
> feature consistent for everything is a good thing.
>

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> There's also jquery's way:
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/jquery-i18n-properties
>>
>> It uses standard java property files so translations can handled with the
>> same tools. It doesn't solve the dynamic updating of i18n props though. How
>> important is that though? How often do people actually need to dynamically
>> update translations, and is it worth the overhead of hitting the db or cache
>> to get them?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian.
>>

>> On 13 September 2013 15:10, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> There's at least one thing I'd like to see addressed.
>>>

>>> https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/roster2/trunk/roster-app/src/webapp/roster-translations-ca.js
>>>
>>> I don't find that an acceptable way of doing localization.  Its not
>>> consistent with the rest of Sakai, and it won't work with the dynamic
>>> manipulation of bundles.  It makes it harder for anyone who is used to
>>> working with properties to maintain this stuff, since tools won't
>>> support this arbitrary js format.
>>>
>>> It easy to address, I had to do it for gb2.  You need to just create a
>>> servlet that loads this the data from the ResourceLoader and then
>>> transforms it into your javascript format.
>>>
>>> Also, I'd like verification that there aren't any FERPA issues
>>> introduced.   I see https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/RSTR-16, but
>>> its worth asking just to be sure.

Does this mean that some changes will be made to Roster2 and it will be targeted for 2.10/Trunk?

On Sep 16, 2013, at 4:40 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alright, already ... :)

If it's not JIRA'd, could one of you fine fellows raise a ticket? I like Matthew's generic REST target idea; it does sound like people have done this a couple of ways, so standardising going forward makes sense.

Cheers,
Adrian.

On 13 September 2013 15:35, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
Right that is the other benefit, anyone who just talks in English and
wants to change the instructional text on the site editor page...
Problem solved.  Without that you end with forked nightmares, been
there done that.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Matthew Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are making heavy use of the dynamic translations. If you're just one
> school, maybe it's not a huge time saver but it is for managing dozens.
> Still the flexibility it gives for a single school (being able to put up a
> clarifications, warnings or new information immediately) is pretty great. It
> saves on a lot of code changes, keeping custom forks up dated and providing
> much quicker fixes. Even though there was a bug where it was going to the DB
> a lot more than expected (soon to be fixed in 2.9.x SAK-23887), it was still
> worth it to save on the code changes/redeploys. So i'd say having this
> feature consistent for everything is a good thing.
>

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> There's also jquery's way:
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/jquery-i18n-properties
>>
>> It uses standard java property files so translations can handled with the
>> same tools. It doesn't solve the dynamic updating of i18n props though. How
>> important is that though? How often do people actually need to dynamically
>> update translations, and is it worth the overhead of hitting the db or cache
>> to get them?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian.
>>

>> On 13 September 2013 15:10, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> There's at least one thing I'd like to see addressed.
>>>

>>> https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/roster2/trunk/roster-app/src/webapp/roster-translations-ca.js
>>>
>>> I don't find that an acceptable way of doing localization.  Its not
>>> consistent with the rest of Sakai, and it won't work with the dynamic
>>> manipulation of bundles.  It makes it harder for anyone who is used to
>>> working with properties to maintain this stuff, since tools won't
>>> support this arbitrary js format.
>>>
>>> It easy to address, I had to do it for gb2.  You need to just create a
>>> servlet that loads this the data from the ResourceLoader and then
>>> transforms it into your javascript format.
>>>
>>> Also, I'd like verification that there aren't any FERPA issues
>>> introduced.   I see https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/RSTR-16, but
>>> its worth asking just to be sure.

I think that's more of the question. I think this is an issue worthy of being filed as a jira: "Have a standard way for reading i18n properties from JS that works with dynamic bundle loader". Though without someone dedicated to working on that in the next month or so I don't necessarily think it would be a blocker for getting these 2 items (roster 2, calendar changes) into 2.10 either as getting those in in some state seem more important to me than supporting this feature which could be added in later.

It's something I'd like to work on but not sure if I'd have the time before we plan on an alpha of 2.10.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Neal Caidin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Cheers,
>> Adrian.
>>

>> On 13 September 2013 15:10, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> There's at least one thing I'd like to see addressed.
>>>

>>> https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/roster2/trunk/roster-app/src/webapp/roster-translations-ca.js
>>>
>>> I don't find that an acceptable way of doing localization.  Its not
>>> consistent with the rest of Sakai, and it won't work with the dynamic
>>> manipulation of bundles.  It makes it harder for anyone who is used to
>>> working with properties to maintain this stuff, since tools won't
>>> support this arbitrary js format.
>>>
>>> It easy to address, I had to do it for gb2.  You need to just create a
>>> servlet that loads this the data from the ResourceLoader and then
>>> transforms it into your javascript format.
>>>
>>> Also, I'd like verification that there aren't any FERPA issues

Adrian Fish-2 Adrian Fish-2

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

If I read things correctly, yes. Roster2 will replace Roster in trunk if and when the i18n packs are loaded from the db. That will mean 2.10, think.

Cheers,
Adrian.

On 16 September 2013 12:08, Neal Caidin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Cheers,
>> Adrian.
>>

>> On 13 September 2013 15:10, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> There's at least one thing I'd like to see addressed.
>>>

>>> https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/roster2/trunk/roster-app/src/webapp/roster-translations-ca.js
>>>
>>> I don't find that an acceptable way of doing localization.  Its not
>>> consistent with the rest of Sakai, and it won't work with the dynamic
>>> manipulation of bundles.  It makes it harder for anyone who is used to
>>> working with properties to maintain this stuff, since tools won't
>>> support this arbitrary js format.
>>>
>>> It easy to address, I had to do it for gb2.  You need to just create a
>>> servlet that loads this the data from the ResourceLoader and then
>>> transforms it into your javascript format.
>>>
>>> Also, I'd like verification that there aren't any FERPA issues

It's more that the i18n data would load from the ResourceLoader (which
mostly means loading from the properties files in that vast majority
of cases and not from the database).
-AZ

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I read things correctly, yes. Roster2 will replace Roster in trunk if and
> when the i18n packs are loaded from the db. That will mean 2.10, think.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian.
>

> On 16 September 2013 12:08, Neal Caidin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does this mean that some changes will be made to Roster2 and it will be
>> targeted for 2.10/Trunk?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Neal
>>

>> Neal Caidin
>> Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
>> [hidden email]
>> Skype: nealkdin
>> Twitter: ncaidin
>>

>> On Sep 16, 2013, at 4:40 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Alright, already ... :)
>>
>> If it's not JIRA'd, could one of you fine fellows raise a ticket? I like
>> Matthew's generic REST target idea; it does sound like people have done this
>> a couple of ways, so standardising going forward makes sense.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian.
>>

>> On 13 September 2013 15:35, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right that is the other benefit, anyone who just talks in English and
>>> wants to change the instructional text on the site editor page...
>>> Problem solved.  Without that you end with forked nightmares, been
>>> there done that.

John Bush-4 John Bush-4

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

I created this one:

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1122

Adrian Fish-2 Adrian Fish-2

On 16 September 2013 16:59, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
I created this one:

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1122

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's more that the i18n data would load from the ResourceLoader (which
> mostly means loading from the properties files in that vast majority
> of cases and not from the database).
> -AZ
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If I read things correctly, yes. Roster2 will replace Roster in trunk if and
>> when the i18n packs are loaded from the db. That will mean 2.10, think.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian.
>>

>> On 16 September 2013 12:08, Neal Caidin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does this mean that some changes will be made to Roster2 and it will be
>>> targeted for 2.10/Trunk?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Neal
>>>

>>> Neal Caidin
>>> Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
>>> [hidden email]
>>> Skype: nealkdin
>>> Twitter: ncaidin
>>>

>>> On Sep 16, 2013, at 4:40 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Alright, already ... :)
>>>
>>> If it's not JIRA'd, could one of you fine fellows raise a ticket? I like
>>> Matthew's generic REST target idea; it does sound like people have done this
>>> a couple of ways, so standardising going forward makes sense.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian.

Adrian Fish-2 Adrian Fish-2

Re: [sakai2-tcc] Roster2 to replace Roster

CLOG will benefit from the same approach as well. I can do the REST target in kernel if nobody else has time at present. I presume just a JSON feed of all the pairs for a particular sakai tool id, localised to the current user, will do the job? What about caching though? I presume that'll be abstracted away behind the resource loader call?

Cheers,
Adrian.

On 16 September 2013 22:34, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 16 September 2013 16:59, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
I created this one:

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1122

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's more that the i18n data would load from the ResourceLoader (which
> mostly means loading from the properties files in that vast majority
> of cases and not from the database).
> -AZ
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If I read things correctly, yes. Roster2 will replace Roster in trunk if and
>> when the i18n packs are loaded from the db. That will mean 2.10, think.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian.
>>

>> On 16 September 2013 12:08, Neal Caidin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does this mean that some changes will be made to Roster2 and it will be
>>> targeted for 2.10/Trunk?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Neal
>>>

>>> Neal Caidin
>>> Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
>>> [hidden email]
>>> Skype: nealkdin
>>> Twitter: ncaidin
>>>

>>> On Sep 16, 2013, at 4:40 AM, Adrian Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Alright, already ... :)
>>>
>>> If it's not JIRA'd, could one of you fine fellows raise a ticket? I like
>>> Matthew's generic REST target idea; it does sound like people have done this
>>> a couple of ways, so standardising going forward makes sense.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian.

Yea there's a hashtable and ehcache on the ResourceLoader, so it's just one extra call you that. You can just take as a given that you don't need to cache on the rest layer.