[sakai2-tcc] Updated 2.10 and post 2.10 action items

Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

[sakai2-tcc] Updated 2.10 and post 2.10 action items

Just an FYI that the action items related to 2.10 and post 2.10 have
been updated during the meeting this morning:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items

There are some outstanding items and questions which Neal will be
emailing the list about later. Please check and if you know of any
related jira tickets to items on this page, add the links.
Thanks
-AZ

[sakai2-tcc] News Feeds to replace News? - Re: Updated 2.10 and post 2.10 action items

Thanks Aaron.

Here's the first item for discussion.

We had about a 1/2 dozen TCC members on the call, it seemed like, at one point or another. And it seemed like for the folks on the call there was consensus, or close to consensus, that the News Feeds tool should replace the News tool. Neither is being actively developed but it sounds like they both work, News Feeds has more features, and they are about the same to maintain. News Feeds might needs some work on Options?

So what do folks think? Replace News with the News Feeds?

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
Skype: nealkdin
Twitter: ncaidin

On Sep 12, 2013, at 9:26 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just an FYI that the action items related to 2.10 and post 2.10 have
been updated during the meeting this morning:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items

There are some outstanding items and questions which Neal will be
emailing the list about later. Please check and if you know of any
related jira tickets to items on this page, add the links.
Thanks
-AZ

Re: [sakai2-tcc] News Feeds to replace News? - Re: Updated 2.10 and post 2.10 action items

Has the options page been fixed? Last I worked on this, the version of Wicket it was using was very out of date and it used extensions that were no longer supported.
If we want something that is more up to date and configurable, and is a portlet (!), what about this:
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/PLT/Simple+RSS+Portlet

cheers,
Steve

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 4:39 AM, Neal Caidin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Jean-Francois Leveque Jean-Francois Leveque

Re: [sakai2-tcc] News Feeds to replace News? - Re: Updated 2.10 and post 2.10 action items

No opinion.

On 12/09/2013 20:39, Neal Caidin wrote:

> Thanks Aaron.
>
> Here's the first item for discussion.
>
> We had about a 1/2 dozen TCC members on the call, it seemed like, at one
> point or another. And it seemed like for the folks on the call there was
> consensus, or close to consensus, that the News Feeds tool should
> replace the News tool. Neither is being actively developed but it sounds
> like they both work, News Feeds has more features, and they are about
> the same to maintain. News Feeds might needs some work on Options?
>
> So what do folks think? Replace News with the News Feeds?
>
> Cheers,
> Neal
>

> Neal Caidin
> Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Skype: nealkdin
> Twitter: ncaidin
>

> On Sep 12, 2013, at 9:26 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Just an FYI that the action items related to 2.10 and post 2.10 have
>> been updated during the meeting this morning:
>> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items
>>
>> There are some outstanding items and questions which Neal will be
>> emailing the list about later. Please check and if you know of any
>> related jira tickets to items on this page, add the links.
>> Thanks
>> -AZ
>>

>> --
>> Aaron Zeckoski - Software Architect - http://tinyurl.com/azprofile
Aaron Zeckoski-3 Aaron Zeckoski-3

Re: [sakai2-tcc] News Feeds to replace News? - Re: Updated 2.10 and post 2.10 action items

I don't think the options page was fixed but that is the question
here. Is it a decent replacement or not worth considering anymore.
I don't recall at this point who brought up the suggestion to include
that one but I will leave it to them to make the case.
-AZ

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Steve Swinsburg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has the options page been fixed? Last I worked on this, the version of
> Wicket it was using was very out of date and it used extensions that were no
> longer supported.
> If we want something that is more up to date and configurable, and is a
> portlet (!), what about this:
> https://wiki.jasig.org/display/PLT/Simple+RSS+Portlet
>
> cheers,
> Steve
>

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 4:39 AM, Neal Caidin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Aaron.
>>
>> Here's the first item for discussion.
>>
>> We had about a 1/2 dozen TCC members on the call, it seemed like, at one
>> point or another. And it seemed like for the folks on the call there was
>> consensus, or close to consensus, that the News Feeds tool should replace
>> the News tool. Neither is being actively developed but it sounds like they
>> both work, News Feeds has more features, and they are about the same to
>> maintain. News Feeds might needs some work on Options?
>>
>> So what do folks think? Replace News with the News Feeds?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Neal
>>

>> Neal Caidin
>> Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
>> [hidden email]
>> Skype: nealkdin
>> Twitter: ncaidin
>>

>> On Sep 12, 2013, at 9:26 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just an FYI that the action items related to 2.10 and post 2.10 have
>> been updated during the meeting this morning:
>> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+Action+Items
>>
>> There are some outstanding items and questions which Neal will be
>> emailing the list about later. Please check and if you know of any
>> related jira tickets to items on this page, add the links.
>> Thanks
>> -AZ
>>

>> --
>> Aaron Zeckoski - Software Architect - http://tinyurl.com/azprofile

Dr. Chuck Dr. Chuck

Re: [sakai2-tcc] News Feeds to replace News? - Re: Updated 2.10 and post 2.10 action items

I think that the key question here is *who* will do the work and then *who* will be stuck with maintaining this for the next five years.

"You touch it - you own if".

I wanted to rewrite the web-content tool - so I now am the maintainer of said tool - that is how things roll.  I knew that when I started that particular rewrite.

As a pre-requisite to such a decision, we have to know who will be on the hook after any switch is done.  If the answer is that "the collective will provide" - to me that means leave things alone.

/Chuck

Re: [sakai2-tcc] News Feeds to replace News? - Re: Updated 2.10 and post 2.10 action items

Ok here is an alternative. Use the simple rss portlet. I wrote it, I support it. Plus the code is so simple anyone can fix it if they wanted to.

Cheers,
Steve

Sent from my iPad